1 yo on Celebrity - am I kidding myself?

Vikstar

I've cruised Celebrity a couple of times (childless) but now considering a family cruise with my 1 yo. Am I kidding myself with this or do you think it's feasible? Just trying to work through the logistics of it in my head e.g pram in elevator, getting off and on the ship. Would Luminae provide a highchair or would this be frowned upon?

I don't like the RCCL mega family ships so would either cruise Celebrity or not at all.

Just the fact that you are questioning yourself tells me you are thinking clearly. Here's a recent thread discussing this very topic from a new mother. Hopefully you will find it helpful. Please take negative comments from less than helpful posters with many grains of salt.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2332914

Pushing a pram or pushchair around the ship is no more of an inconvenience to other passengers than the plethora of motorised scooters we now see as the norm. If you feel comfortable with your 1 yr old then go for it and ignore everyone else. The company is going to charge you almost as much as an adult anyway

I'm glad no child haters have joined the conversation yet. Clearly, they were never babies and just sprung into life in a fully mature state. Haha. But seriously, there's is a family board which also might be helpful if this thread goes sideways.

Due to a Zika virus cancellation, we will also be cruising celebrity with twin baby sometime between 6 months old and 18 months old. We are personally angling for the earlier or later end of the window. Closer to 6 months seems easier as they aren't yet mobile and can sleep in the stroller. Closer to 18 months also seems reasonable as they are a little older and may be easier to control with discipline/bribes. Exactly 1 year sounds tough as they will likely be mobile (walking) and may be the most difficult to get to get to sit still during dinner, etc. (But our kids won't be born got 3 more days, so take all this with a grain of salt!).

Two cruises ago we saw a couple on the ship that we referred to as "Ken and barbie" because they looked it!. We saw them most nights, out quite late, dressed to the nines (she often wore a sequined dress that made me question if she had actually given birth to that baby!), pushing a baby carriage. They strolled the ship with a drink in hand, stopping a various bars just like my hubbie and I, but did it while pushing a sleeping baby and looking fab. I can only aspire to pull that off - but they proved that it could be done!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It can definitely be done, but just have realistic expectations and be willing to be flexible. Don't bring a huge stroller, it is hard to fit down halls especially if carts are out. Get a balcony cabin and be flexible. If they don't sleep when you plan be willing to do things like hit the buffet rather than the restaurant, order the main dining room dinner and dine on your balcony. Bring small new things for them to look at play with at meals. Plan to do a lot of walks, exploring the ship. The parents I speak to who did not enjoy their time where the ones who expected their cruise to be exactly as it was prekids. If one night their kid was fussy they weren't happy changing it up. Despite what people on here want you to believe staff treated/still treats our kids like princesses, people love coming up to us and talking with our kids or saying how cute, well behaved they were. It was much more relaxing when we were flexible. Go and have a great time.

I'm glad no child haters have joined the conversation yet. Clearly, they were never babies and just sprung into life in a fully mature state. Haha.

So just because somebody thinks cruising with an infant is a bad idea, that person is a child hater? Hmm.

I love children. What I didn't love was having paid top dollars for a Sky Suite on X only to be awake every night because of a baby next door crying from 1 am to 5 am - continuously. Every night. I felt sorry for the parents too but of course it was "he never does that at home, it must be the motion of the ship" and so on. The baby ended up sleeping during daytime.

Edited by florisdekort

We were on a cruise with my Daughter and her family as well as others. My granddaughter was 3 and very active. We had a group of 13 persons and about 5 times met for a meal. Sorry, but each time, the dining experience just wasn't that great.

For one thing, dining on cruise ships is usually a lengthy process and some kids that age just can't handle a 1 1/2 hour meal.

However, we have been on cruises with a couple and a one year old and that seemed to work out well.

Go for it, people will be stopping you and telling you , oh how sweet, looks he or she's adorable.

You are on your cruise not some restricted limited age forbidden ship, no one is going to tell to leave ...

Kids of all ages may need some attention and that is what the ships staff is there for!

I'm glad no child haters have joined the conversation yet.

I'm not a child hater, but I do question parents who bring their small children to adult venues and then don't remove them when their behavior becomes disruptive. I'm not saying that you would subject others to this, but it's not uncommon for parents to simply ignore their disruptive children because they're used to them. We're not. I would be less than thrilled to be seated for dinner next to a howler, piercing shrieker, or table darter.

I don't blame the kids for their behavior though. Vacations can mean missed naps and disrupted schedules. As the OP said, you know your child best and should be able to predict their behavior. Hope you enjoy your trip, whatever you choose to do!

As most people have pointed out, please be aware and respectful of your fellow passengers.

Just because you have kids does not mean that everyone else needs to be part of their lives. Crying or screaming may be what you are used to. But why should I have to put up with it.

It will be a lot of work, but I am sure that you will have a great time.

I'm not a child hater, but I do question parents who bring their small children to adult venues and then don't remove them when their behavior becomes disruptive. I'm not saying that you would subject others to this, but it's not uncommon for parents to simply ignore their disruptive children because they're used to them. We're not. I would be less than thrilled to be seated for dinner next to a howler, piercing shrieker, or table darter.

AGREE - I hope you have a great cruise if not at others' discomfort. If I found myself assigned to an MDR table with infant/toddler, I would immediately request a non-adjacent new table because we're cruising to relax and unwind. There's also room service besides the casual buffet's timing and choice flexibility (incl. outdoor patio) if kids are antsy. Good Luck

Just be aware, at age one, there is little in the way of services for them. Your child must be 12 months or older to have in cabin sitting--- not 11 months and two weeks or any other age under 12 months. The cost is $19 an hour. The kids club is available for 45 minutes a day, but you must stay with the baby.

The only thing I would say is that if your baby is fussy or doesn't sleep well at night, you might want to reconsider. We've had more than a few sleepless nights because of screaming infants. While everyone understands babies will cry, and some have lots of problems sleeping at night, only you know your child's personality.

I've cruised Celebrity a couple of times (childless) but now considering a family cruise with my 1 yo. Am I kidding myself with this or do you think it's feasible? Just trying to work through the logistics of it in my head e.g pram in elevator, getting off and on the ship. Would Luminae provide a highchair or would this be frowned upon?

I don't like the RCCL mega family ships so would either cruise Celebrity or not at all.

No issues at all if the pram is a small pushchair. It will certainly be smaller than wheelchairs and motorised scooters which are common place as others have said.

You'll also find that there will be crew who will assist you getting on and off the ship with a pushchair just as they do with wheelchairs.

High seats are provided for small children.

Frowned upon? Hmmmm, if people dislike the idea of infants being on a cruise line then they're always welcome to book a ship which insists on guests being 18 years and over.... :)

I'd suggest a short cruise 3-4 days first to test the waters. We did that with my 3yr old several years ago and realized it was wonderful. However - I never would have dreamed of cruising with my eldest when he was 1 or 3. He needed too much space to run - of which there isn't much. My second - was much easier. So much depends on the child.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I think the itinerary probably matters to an extent; a laid-back Caribbean cruise might be easier than a port-intensive Alaska or Med itinerary.

I'm childless by choice but I expect to see families on a cruise; if I wanted a child-free vacation I'd book an adult-only resort, not a cruise. I kind of enjoy watching the little guys play in the fountain by the Solstice-class pools and marvel at the ice cream counter. As long as parents responsibly monitor their kids, I'm fine with seeing them. (I've had worse trouble with adults being loud and obnoxious than with kids.) ;)

Frowned upon? Hmmmm, if people dislike the idea of infants being on a cruise line then they're always welcome to book a ship which insists on guests being 18 years and over.... :)

You've twisted what the OP asked. The OP's question about "frowned upon" was not about an infant being on a ship in general but in Luminae. I don't believe anyone who has posted above suggested that little kids don't belong on a ship. But some quite properly expressed the hope that an infant in a dining room who is screaming or having a meltdown would be taken out of the dining room by a parent, exercising the same manners I hope the parent would practice in a restaurant on land.

taking a 1 yr. old involves more than can a stroller fit down the hall or elevator. Please take into account the health of the child. Some are prone to ear infections, change of diet, etc. Kids can get sick in a heart beat and go down hill quick health-wise. The ship doctors are great but not necessarily prepared for childhood problems. No one has a crystal ball but do think twice before sailing with a small infant.

You've twisted what the OP asked. The OP's question about "frowned upon" was not about an infant being on a ship in general but in Luminae. I don't believe anyone who has posted above suggested that little kids don't belong on a ship. But some quite properly expressed the hope that an infant in a dining room who is screaming or having a meltdown would be taken out of the dining room by a parent, exercising the same manners I hope the parent would practice in a restaurant on land.

Not a child hater either...have four myself. Will be in Luminae in September and would not want to be dining with most children . I would hope that parents would parent. I know from first hand that dining with a child ...not mine...can ruin it for everyone.

I think the itinerary probably matters to an extent; a laid-back Caribbean cruise might be easier than a port-intensive Alaska or Med itinerary.

I'm childless by choice but I expect to see families on a cruise; if I wanted a child-free vacation I'd book an adult-only resort, not a cruise. I kind of enjoy watching the little guys play in the fountain by the Solstice-class pools and marvel at the ice cream counter. As long as parents responsibly monitor their kids, I'm fine with seeing them. (I've had worse trouble with adults being loud and obnoxious than with kids.) ;)

Yes. I agree. Can someone please tell that 50 year old child to keep their voice down!!!

Yes. I agree. Can someone please tell that 50 year old child to keep their voice down!!!

After 9 cruises on Celebrity, I speak well for other cruisers. I have never seen juvenile behavior on the part of adults. Also, since we do a lot of 14 day cruises, I see very few children on cruises.

When my Granddaughter was about 3, the meals we had with her were basically a disaster. There is a fine line between a small child that cries due to sitting in a highchair for 1 1/2 hours and one that destroys the meal for anyone within that end of the restaurant. Unfortunately, my Granddaughter was in the latter category.

On two cruises where we dined in Luminae, there were children both times. One was a boy of about 4 who was absolutely terrible. I felt very bad for the staff as the parents demanded they do anything the child wanted. He ran around tables, threw food on the floor and basically refused to sit. The parents were the problem as they ignored the kid and did nothing to stop his behavior.

The second time it was an infant of about 10 months who behaved exactly like you'd expect a 10 month old to behave. But, these parents were very involved and when the baby fussed, which he did every evening, one parent would take him out. Even with that, how could they enjoy their complete cruise experience when they couldn't enjoy a decent meal together?