Maybe we will just hang out...

GalCruzer

Been looking at the Grand Cayman excursions and nothing seems to peak our interest since most of seems to be laying on the beach or history of the area. And doing excursions in Ocho Rios and Cozumel is going to take care of any more beach desires, I believe. We will be coming off the Carnival Splendor in October.

So just wondering what is it going to be like when we walk off the ship? Will their be shops right in that area as well as places to eat? How about the Hard Rock? How far is that from the port? Will we have to taxi there? Thanks for any info.

Everything is right there as you get off the tenders. Depending on which terminal you arrive at, Hard Rock will be a 5-10 minute walk along the water to the right. Tons of stores and a few restaurants...I'd recommend Breezes restaurant for its second floor balcony that overlooks the water.

The big thing in Cayman is Stingray City, however, and I'd recommend taking an excursion there. You'd still have time to wander downtown around the port area afterwards.

Edited by bookbabe

Stingray City is the best thing to do. I have taken two tours from the ship and the last time I went I booked one on the street for half the price. So did about 100 other people. Unfortunately, the dropped us off and didn't come back to get us. You are very far away from being able to catch a cab back. The excursion people did call someone and there were fights to get on board the one small bus. Another one came and got the rest of us--it was close but we made it back to sail. Not sure at my old age of 46 that I would take that chance again. LOL

Plenty in walking distance of port, but you might contact Stingray Sailing for a great excursion to Stingray City. Truly a must-do if you've never been there. They're reliable, reasonable, and take smaller groups than the cruiselines (and others). Look them up on Trip Advisor.

Everything is right there as you get off the tenders. Depending on which terminal you arrive at, Hard Rock will be a 5-10 minute walk along the water to the right. Tons of stores and a few restaurants...I'd recommend Breezes restaurant for its second floor balcony that overlooks the water.

The big thing in Cayman is Stingray City, however, and I'd recommend taking an excursion there. You'd still have time to wander downtown around the port area afterwards.

Good to know about the walking distance. Thanks for that info. Will look into Stingray City.

Although you have beach days planned at the other places, I agree with everyone else. A visit to Stingray sailing is "the thing" to do when in GC. It's a once in a lifetime experience for a lot of people and just amazing to be out in the middle of the ocean and be able to stand up on a sand bar and all the friendly stingrays coming in to great you. They are such amazing creatures and it makes for a wonderful day!!

I have done this twice and have reviews in my signature line with TONS of pictures in the review...if you are interested. :)

Although you have beach days planned at the other places, I agree with everyone else. A visit to Stingray sailing is "the thing" to do when in GC. It's a once in a lifetime experience for a lot of people and just amazing to be out in the middle of the ocean and be able to stand up on a sand bar and all the friendly stingrays coming in to great you. They are such amazing creatures and it makes for a wonderful day!!

I have done this twice and have reviews in my signature line with TONS of pictures in the review...if you are interested. :)

Which tour company did you use?

psssssst

just want to hang out .... and maybe get away from the ship crowd?

How about the bar the local folk frequent?

My Bar at Sunset House ... you can walk (about 1/2 mile) or take a taxi (they ALL know where it is)

http://www.whatshot.ky/2014/09/sunset-house-my-bar-a-legendary-local-favorite/

and outstanding snorkeling for free (rental gear available)

GalCruzer .... If you decide you just want to "hang out", the town is immediately there when you're dropped off at the tender dock. Just walk around and have your own fun!

We like to go to the Paradise Bar & Grill at Eden Rock. (Fun to watch snorkelers/divers at Eden Rock) Lovely water view and they have great fish sandwiches. Drinks are make with real fresh fruit.

It's not far ... about four/five blocks. Take a right from the tender dock. Lots to see on the way. :)

LuLu

Will be in Grand Cayman a few days before Christmas. On average, will the water temps be warm enough for the stingray tour?

Yes! No Problem! We've been there to swim with the stingrays a couple of times in January! :)

If you want another good suggestion to eat at, there's a place off to the left of the tender docks that is fantastic.

Cayman Cabana.

Has the best fried grouper sandwich I've ever eaten anywhere. Trust me, it's well worth it.

And if you've never been to Stingray City, you need to go. I'll bump as suggestion from another poster on NativeWay Tours. We used them when we went in June. They were great. Smaller crowd on the boat and they make it enjoyable.

Edited by WolfgangJT

GalCruzer .... If you decide you just want to "hang out", the town is immediately there when you're dropped off at the tender dock. Just walk around and have your own fun!

We like to go to the Paradise Bar & Grill at Eden Rock. (Fun to watch snorkelers/divers at Eden Rock) Lovely water view and they have great fish sandwiches. Drinks are make with real fresh fruit.

It's not far ... about four/five blocks. Take a right from the tender dock. Lots to see on the way. :)

LuLu

If you want another good suggestion to eat at, there's a place off to the left of the tender docks that is fantastic.

Cayman Cabana.

Has the best fried grouper sandwich I've ever eaten anywhere. Trust me, it's well worth it.

And if you've never been to Stingray City, you need to go. I'll bump as suggestion from another poster on NativeWay Tours. We used them when we went in June. They were great. Smaller crowd on the boat and they make it enjoyable.

I like the idea of a nice view while eating so will look into this.

And the idea of smaller tour groups can be appealing so will definitely look into that.

Going to be booking some excursions starting next week (had to wait until the credit card cleared) so just making sure I have all the info I need.

I like the idea of a nice view while eating so will look into this.

And the idea of smaller tour groups can be appealing so will definitely look into that.

Going to be booking some excursions starting next week (had to wait until the credit card cleared) so just making sure I have all the info I need.

Here's the site for Native Way, if you decide to look into them. Oh, also, another good thing with them, you don't have to pay until you are on the excursion...so if for some reason the cruise ship isn't able to port (weather, etc), you don't have to worry about the troubles of getting back payments. You pay at the end of it...they will reserve with no deposit. Makes things easier, no hassle. :) The site has an email where you can contact them. Sharon can answer anything you need to know.

http://www.nativewaywatersports.com/

And if you want to see some reviews on Cayman Cabana (and some pics of the place and the views), see links below...as a side note, this place was featured on AWE's Global Passport: Cayman Islands special. That's how I first saw about it, then looked up reviews...many 4 and 5 star reviews. We decided to try it and do not regret it. Best food I had the entire trip.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g147366-d3676727-Reviews-Cayman_Cabana_Oceanside_Restobar-George_Town_Grand_Cayman_Cayman_Islands.html

http://www.yelp.com/biz/cayman-cabana-georgetown

more pics:

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x8f25865f3bf429a7%3A0x2de92a1ed91ef59c!2m5!2m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i100!3m1!7e115!4shttps%3A%2F%2Fpicasaweb.google.com%2Flh%2Fsredir%3Funame%3D118319403401964130332%26id%3D6273529380022377506%26target%3DPHOTO!5sCayman%20Cabana%20-%20Google%20Search&imagekey=!1e3!2s-tFeXp-QqJsk%2FVxANu4g13CI%2FAAAAAAAA15M%2FpcqSFqPQfU8q1nvgA-LqiP8VwHB3jmavQCLIB&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjszLrZ3ITOAhUB4yYKHTe_DBUQoioIJTAA

Edited by WolfgangJT

If you are looking for something completely different my family and I are going to The Locked Inn. It's an Escape room facility. We did a few in Mexico at our all inclusive last year and had a blast. After that we are going to Cayman Cabana for lunch. Glad to see it was recommended here.

Again, Thank you all for your advice and suggestions!

But wondering has anyone ever done the Amphibious Bus Land & Sea Adventure? Seems to have gotten good ratings just wondering if anyone here has done it. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
How long of a walk is the cayman cabana from the port?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No more than a 5 minute walk. Walk out of the port, go left on the main road. It's on the left side of the street, viewing the port.

et8u83.jpg

Edited by WolfgangJT