"Easy" Excursions

dansgirlie

Hello All,

I booked my PG cruise then a week later herniated my L4 disc. I had surgery early June and am healing well.

My question is, what "easy" excursions would you recommend? I'm not a strong swimmer and even though I've snorkeled in open water, (Jamaica and Cancun) I've had panic attacks trying to get beyond the break from shore (Lanai) I'm not sure about the currents in FP.

I almost feel like we'll be staying on the ship, or doing the hotel visits. This is our first time to FP and definitely don't want to be in pain on my bucket list vacation. I appreciate any suggestions.

Edited by dansgirlie

Patricks tour on Bora Bora was quite easy except for one stop near the Sofitel where the current was very swift. Outside the lagoon, there is no current and you can just hang onto the pontoon. Inside the lagoon you can get our into a shallow area with black tips and stingrays. Then there's the delicious buffet to finish it off.

The circumnavigation of Bora Bora can be enjoyed from a boat. You can swim with the rats if you like.

The helicopter excursion in BB should also be good.

Sorry no rats! That is the iPad for you.....should have said sharks!

If you enjoy snorkeling get yourself a vest to wear. I'm not a strong swimmer but I can spend hours in the water when I'm wearing my vest.

I agree with the advice of a snorkeling vest. I bought one for a snorkeling trip last year when we were on the PG. I'm not the strongest swimmer so it gave me a lot of confidence in the water, I really love it and have had a lot of use out of it. :)

Ditto about the vest. It makes a big difference.

In 2014 I was on the ship just two months after open heart surgery. So I know all about taking it easy and finding excursions that aren't taxing. I wish I had had a vest then, and I'm a fairly strong swimmer normally.

With back surgery in your past, I'd be careful choosing excursions that involve 4x4 vehicles. Sometimes the terrain can be uneven and hard on your back. Ditto some boat trips, especially where you might be going fast in a small boat (bumpy.)

But I would not just stay on the ship. You can go in the water at Motu Mahana, for instance, and not worry about currents or depth--you don't have to go deeper than your waist if you wish. There are other easy water excursions that don't involve currents at all. Like the stingray ballet on Bora Bora, the first part at least of which involves being in waist-deep water with small sharks and rays. The second part involves some snorkelling in deeper water near coral--no current but the vest would give you confidence for this type of thing.

The Dr. Poole dolphin-watching boat trip on Moorea is also not bumpy at all, nor are many of the water excursions there.

I'm sure if you have any specific questions about water activities you'll get answers here.

With a back issue I would avoid ATV, 4x4 and wave runners. I would also be cautious about using an excursion with a small boat on Bora Bora. While I love the small boat it is a speed boat and really moves. It also is very bumpy.

The current is not an issue in any of the French Polynesia islands.

Currents *can* be an issue in FP. Any time a snorkeling expedition refers to "drift snorkel", that means there's a current, usually running between two small islands (motu), caused by the tides. Obviously avoid them.

And snorkeling over large coral heads can be kind of scary as well, especially if you're not really comfortable in the water.

Has anyone done the Hotel day passes at the IC on BOB or Moorea?

Day passes at either are nice. Both allow easy access to the lagoon or their pool plus lunch is provided.

Another easy one for snorkeling is on Bora Bora, a private vendor, Christophre

http://Www.puresnorkeling.com

They do a lot of hand holding for those that want it