Oriana for sale

iandjm

The medium sized ships, less than 100,000 tonnes, do still exist mainly for the premium market but HAL now has a new flagship, and a new class the pinnacle class which is an evolution of their vista class. This of course was the basis for Arcadia and Cunard's QE and QV, so it is possible that Carnival could decide to build one of these for P&O, if and when they pension off Oriana.

The medium sized ships, less than 100,000 tonnes, do still exist mainly for the premium market but HAL now has a new flagship, and a new class the pinnacle class which is an evolution of their vista class. This of course was the basis for Arcadia and Cunard's QE and QV, so it is possible that Carnival could decide to build one of these for P&O, if and when they pension off Oriana.

I agree John and that would take 3/4 year lead in.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I don't believe they will sell Oriana as she is due a refit, as Dai says, and because she is well loved. I love her as do many others. I know more revenue is to be made on the monster ships but a lot of cruisers prefer mid sized ones and some of us might go to other lines if p and o got rid of them all. My last cruise on azura confirmed for good that i really prefer the mid sized ships and unless the itinerary is exceptional I am sticking to them in future, barring one Caribbean cruise already booked on Azura.

We've just been talking about Oceana and hoping that they don't sell her off for a bigger ship. We are happy with the big ships, but still love her.

Last year on a 'Behind the Scenes Tour' of Britannia I asked the Captain if the future for P&O was big ships ... he looked at his Dept Captain and then said a very definite 'yes'.

We are happy on a medium ship, a larger one and Britannia. Just don't send us some of the monstrosities that are the RCI fleet !

Thinking about it, we now understand why they call a ship 'she' - each one a personality and special. Oceana is our 'special one' and I bet many of you feel the same re Oriana. P&O must take this into account for repeat guests ... mustn't they????????????? We can but hope....

On our last cruise, we dined with a chap from Southampton HQ. P&O had originally been offered another a new ship in 2018 but this was expected to slip to 2019. The new ship was said to be Britannia class and will called Canberra.

The reason being that 2019 is when the new route into Venice is due. At this point, Azura can become the med fly cruise ship in the summer. Aurora and Oceana will then become adults only. Oriana will leave by 2021 at the latest.

He also said that Adonia would transition back to P&O late 2017/early 2018 when Carnival place a larger ship with Fathom, or close it when their community obligations to the Dominican Republic finish.

Now, I couldn't check his credentials but the dates fit with other anecdotal muttering so across the web.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On our last cruise, we dined with a chap from Southampton HQ.

He sounds like either a Walt or an idiot disclosing commercially sensitive information. And I doubt P&O has idiots in its employment with that level of knowledge.

Edited by insanemagnet

On our last cruise, we dined with a chap from Southampton HQ. P&O had originally been offered another a new ship in 2018 but this was expected to slip to 2019. The new ship was said to be Britannia class and will called Canberra.

The reason being that 2019 is when the new route into Venice is due. At this point, Azura can become the med fly cruise ship in the summer. Aurora and Oceana will then become adults only. Oriana will leave by 2021 at the latest.

He also said that Adonia would transition back to P&O late 2017/early 2018 when Carnival place a larger ship with Fathom, or close it when their community obligations to the Dominican Republic finish.

Now, I couldn't check his credentials but the dates fit with other anecdotal muttering so across the web.

A lot of that makes sense. Azura in the Med would be a good decision but another 3 years before a new P&O ship? That's quite a wait. Seems P&O are the poorer sister compared to Princess in terms of new ships.

He sounds like either a Walt or an idiot disclosing commercially sensitive information. And I doubt P&O has idiots in its employment with that level of knowledge.

He was very clear that this information is already in the public domain - either through focus groups or other announcements made. There were also questions he (politely) refused to answer.

3 years until a new ship - four of the five 2017-2019 ships that Carnival have on their order books have been announced and it was suggested that the 5th is for the UK. It seems there are various issues with delivery dates not to mention access to Venice and capacity at Southampton.

Also, Princess sell their brand around the world whereas P&O only market to the UK so P&O's cruise expansion is slower than the other emerging markets.

He was very clear that this information is already in the public domain - either through focus groups or other announcements made. There were also questions he (politely) refused to answer.

3 years until a new ship - four of the five 2017-2019 ships that Carnival have on their order books have been announced and it was suggested that the 5th is for the UK. It seems there are various issues with delivery dates not to mention access to Venice and capacity at Southampton.

Also, Princess sell their brand around the world whereas P&O only market to the UK so P&O's cruise expansion is slower than the other emerging markets.

Fits in with my reading of the ruins.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

...He also said that Adonia would transition back to P&O late 2017/early 2018 when Carnival place a larger ship with Fathom, or close it when their community obligations to the Dominican Republic finish...

I've been hoping that something like that might happen. It would be great if Adonia were to return to P&O,

No new P&O builds showing on this list unless the Princess one changes. http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/articles.cfm?ID=167

There are no Carnival cruise line's ships listed after 2020, so there is still a possibility that a P&O new build could appear for 2021, just disappointing that its likely to be another Royal class. Let's hope they liven up the design and decor more in line with the Princess ships than the dowdy Britannia.