OMG, I travel in 2 days and passport is expired

Where are you in Texas?

Assuming you're a US citizen, Bob is absolutely correct. However, if you're in the Houston area, you MAY be able to do an expedited passport; two days is a little short, but you can give it a try.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/where-to-apply/agencies/houston.html

Are there any hassles or restrictions when using a birth certificate?

If you are a US citizen, it's perfectly fine to take a cruise that starts and ends at the same US port. However, if you need to fly home from a foreign country, you would have to get a temporary passport from a US Consulate.

If you are a US citizen, it's perfectly fine to take a cruise that starts and ends at the same US port. However, if you need to fly home from a foreign country, you would have to get a temporary passport from a US Consulate.

In other words, don't miss the ship while in your ports of call.

I just read the expiration date on my passport and it expired 6 months ago. What are my options? I leave in 2 days from Galveston for Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Jamaica.

You COULD go to Houston and "walk your application through"...getting it in one day. You need proof of international travel (hard copy of itinerary) and there is an additional fee. Call (877) 487-2778 for an appointment.

There may be other offices where this is possible.

And a passport can expedite the disembarking process to some degree, (passport only lines) but that is a minor consideration in the grand scheme of things.

Not your question, but for others, if your passport is within 6 months of expiration, it is effectively 'expired' for all practical purposes. Gotta have that window left for many places to accept it.

I just read the expiration date on my passport and it expired 6 months ago. What are my options? I leave in 2 days from Galveston for Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Jamaica.

Really? You're just figuring this out now?

Try and get an emergency replacement. They'll need to see a copy of the itinerary. Royal may let you board, but the ports don't have to let you in.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Not your question, but for others, if your passport is within 6 months of expiration, it is effectively 'expired' for all practical purposes. Gotta have that window left for many places to accept it.

This is simply not true for anywhere in the Caribbean.

Royal may let you board, but the ports don't have to let you in.

None of the ports the OP is going to even require a Passport from cruisers. :confused: What do you mean by this?

Edited by ryano

Copied directly from RCCL's website.

•United States citizens on cruises that begin and end at the same port in the United States can use a original government-issued picture ID (i.e. driver's license) AND an original government-issued birth certificate or original Naturalization Certificate.

OP- it's important to note a BC issued by a Hospital is not acceptable

None of the ports the OP is going to even require a Passport. :confused: What do you mean by this?

When I've travelled to Mexico by air, everyone had to present a passport. They typically don't check at cruise ports, but theoretically they could.

At least that is how it was explained to me by a customs officer.

And a passport can expedite the disembarking process to some degree, (passport only lines) but that is a minor consideration in the grand scheme of things.

I have never seen a passport only line.

Not for a closed loop cruise

When I've travelled to Mexico by air, everyone had to present a passport. They typically don't check at cruise ports, but theoretically they could.

Entering a country by air from the US has different requirements for documentation needed because you have to go through C&I before you can exit the terminal. These requirements are not the same when entering a foreign country by sea.

I'm sure the OP found this remark helpful. Glad you are here to provide this type of guidance.

OP, listen to and take heart in the advise of those here trying to provide assistance -- like Bob -- DL and official BC (raised seal, issued by state, not hospital).

Edited by gjc1111

Try and get an emergency replacement. They'll need to see a copy of the itinerary. Royal may let you board, but the ports don't have to let you in.

total nonscense. If a passport was required for the port, it would be required for the cruise. Closed loop cruises don't require one

Because you were flying internationally.

Has nothing to do with the OP's problem

Edited by cruisinfanatic

Exactly. While these counties generally take a relaxed approach to cruise passengers, they decide what documents are required for entry, not the US government, let alone RCI. So if Jamaica decides tomorrow that passports are required for cruise passengers, that's what you'll need.

We have been cruising for 25 years, DH has never gotten a passport, have been to most islands in the Caribbean. Actually he doesn't even have a drivers license, he has never had a "problem" per se, but a lot of "why don't you have a passport" Always travels with a state issued Enhanced Non Drivers ID now, which is a compliant ID, but before it was just his Non Drivers ID and his birth certificate.

Are there any hassles or restrictions when using a birth certificate?

As long as the birth certificate is an official copy, and you're a US citizen, it will not be a hassle. But make sure you have a valid BC. If you do, relax and enjoy, and renew your passport when you get back.

For closed loop cruises leaving from the U.S. you only need to present an official copy of your birth certificate. I have gone on 3 cruises without a passport and have been perfectly fine.

From Royal Caribbean's website- "U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same port in the U.S.) will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as a government-issued birth certificate and laminated government issued picture ID, denoting photo, name and date of birth."

total nonscense. If a passport was required for the port, it would be required for the cruise. Closed loop cruises don't require one

Because you were flying internationally.

Has nothing to do with the OP's problem

A voice of reason and facts!! Gotta' love passport threads, they bring to light so much good miss-information:D