1st Alaskan Cruise

Fergusdog

Looking to book Solstice for Alaskan Cruise - RT Seattle. Which side of the ship is best, starboard or port or does it make any difference?

About 85% percent of the time, Solstice Class ships dock on the starboard side. This is especially cool in Ketchikan because you can see a lot from your veranda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the Solstice cruise the best cabins to book are the aft cabins where you can see both sides at the same side. While doing the passage the naturalist Brent Nixon gives a running narrative and something may be on one side and not there on the return trip. Ships dock both sides depending on maintenance requirements and you never know how on your trip.

Edited by dkjretired

...... Ships dock both sides depending on maintenance requirements and you never know how on your trip.
Even when doing a B2B, we have had the same ship dock on one side one time and the opposite side the next time at the same port.

Amazing pictures! Did you feel a lot of motion or smell fumes in the aft cabin?

What ship were you on and in which cabin?

We were on Celebrity Solstice in Aqua cabin 1674 - this cabin has a wider balcony than other non-suite cabins on the aft on that deck. We didn't smell any fumes and did not feel any motion.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Amazing pictures! Did you feel a lot of motion or smell fumes in the aft cabin?

What ship were you on and in which cabin?

We were in an act cabin on our TA on Solstice . . . No movement, no fumes, no real soot issues. Love aft! Only concern would be for anyone with mobility issues as it is a long walk from the midship elevators and S class ships don't have aft elevators. I "rationalize" the walk helps (minimally) offset the afternoon cookie from Cafe Al Bacio.

I don't think it matters much if it is roundtrip but if I were you I would pick starboard. I would also get a balcony close to the front of the ship if you are at all interested in whales, etc as they usually dive once the ship gets close to them and if you are close to the back or aft you will not see them.

We are traveling to Alaska in a couple weeks on the Solstice with two other family's. This is our 8th cruise to Alaska and most have them have been in aft cabins. We have an aft corner sky suite and the other families are adjacent to us. Though we LOVE the size of the aft balconies on the M-class, the S size is MUCH smaller, but the view is just as spectacular. We had an aft on the Reflection transatlantic too. We've been know to not book a cruise if we couldn't get an aft cabin. Never had a problem with soot or smell. But the walk from the bow or even the 'rear' elevators is like doing a marathon.

We were on Celebrity Solstice in Aqua cabin 1674 - this cabin has a wider balcony than other non-suite cabins on the aft on that deck. We didn't smell any fumes and did not feel any motion.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

We are booked in this exact cabin on Solstice Aug 12 Alaska sailing - thank you so much for posting those fantastic pics from "our balcony". We are super excited and especially loved the breakfast pic as that is one of our favourite things to do. Can't wait!

I don't think it matters much if it is roundtrip but if I were you I would pick starboard. I would also get a balcony close to the front of the ship if you are at all interested in whales, etc as they usually dive once the ship gets close to them and if you are close to the back or aft you will not see them.

Actually it matters a lot because wildlife on land will be on one side which you may not see and they may not be there on the way back.

Actually it matters a lot because wildlife on land will be on one side which you may not see and they may not be there on the way back.

Out of Seattle during the first half of the cruise most land will be on the starboard side, however there is also a lot of land on the port side through the inside passage that is why I don't think it matters too much. If it were me I would pick starboard over port or aft rooms. Just my opinion.

As far as wildlife goes you most likely will not see any wildlife on the land as it is just too far from the boat but you will see whales, seals, otters, and dolphins in the water. Aft rooms will be the worst for this. The closer you can position yourself to the front of the boat the better.