Gluten issue's..............

thyme2go

Thanks for your input Nashna.........it matches what we experienced on a different ship in AQUA which tells me it is likely systemic. We are moving to independent travel where we can accommodate our food needs. Asking about everything and dealing with people who do not understand priorities is not a vacation. We will still cruise when itineraries merit it, but probably won't be Celebrity given this situation.........Agree with your grading system!

Interesting. Just off the Solstice. I am not gluten free but sat with this wonderful woman who was gluten free. She is writing a book about her family's experience with being celiac etc. she said she ate very well on the Solstice with no issues. They brought her gluten free treats at the tea. She said she had no issues eating at the buffet or the restaurant.

We too, were in Aqua class and there was never any mention of GF pancakes or waffles for breakfast and I ate there at least 5 mornings. If those items are available why didn't anyone say something to me? That's just plain rude in food etiquette...... omitting this information benefits Celebrity and only adds another disappointment to my dining experience with Celebrity! :mad:

Do all of you have celiac's disease??

Do all of you have celiac's disease??

This thread is titled "Gluten issue's"............ responses could be due to a myriad of conditions including IBS, G. Intolerance, G. Sensitivities, or Celiac to name a few. :eek:

Edited by thyme2go

This thread is titled "Gluten issue's"............ responses could be due to a myriad of conditions including IBS, G. Intolerance, G. Sensitivities, or Celiac to name a few. :eek:

My husband has Celiac Disease. He will know within hours if he has eaten anything that contains Gluten and has been hospitalized with the condition. Eight years ago, we took a European Avalon River Cruise. The chef was not informed that my husband needed a gluten free diet until we boarded. While at port, the chef personally went shopping for ingredients to make bread, muffins, sauces and pasta especially for him. I would never expect Celebrity to go to those lengths. However, with 10 percent of the population having some type of a sensativity to Gluten, Celebrity should at least be able to provide the basic pizza or muffins and pasta. (Tuscan Grill does offer Gluten Free Pasta as well as a type of Italian bread.)

• 2 weeks later...
I will reply to this thread after our August 7 th sailing. There is no excuse today to not have tasty GF options.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree! The food should taste wonderful, without compromise.

I'll sail on the Summit later this year, and believe me, if the gluten free food isn't outstanding, I'll be writing about it EVERYWHERE. And I hope they up the pizza quality, too. There is no excuse not to be able to make an outstanding gluten free pizza or flatbread these days.

Another thing that bothers me is how cruise lines can lack when it comes to sweets. An ice cream server should be able to dip into dedicated ice cream, or untouched ice cream so there's no cross-contamination from cones. Also, a server should know, without a doubt which ice cream, if any, is gluten free.

Coffee shops, sweet shops, etc. should have gluten-free options, too. And there should be nice sweets available for high tea.

For dessert, should be options other than creme brulee, flourless chocolate cake, and molten lava cake. After years of having to eat gluten free, I am so sick of these desserts, but that's usually all that's offered.

Breads, muffins, cookies - good grief, even the worst baker can make excellent gluten-free treats these days. Why can't a skilled "chef?" And yes, just use a mix, or buy some certified gluten-free pre-packaged items. Good grief.

Another thing I've encountered during travel is that not all chefs know that flour stays airborne. That is, if wheat flour is used anywhere near a gluten-free preparation area, there's going to be cross-contamination.

I paid a lot of money to stay at a bed and breakfast in Ireland--one that featured gluten-free breakfasts. I got so sick! Yes, they were using flour in the same area as where they prepared their regular foods.

Celebrity Summit, please, I am begging you: I am paying a lot of money for my upcoming cruise, and I want to enjoy my food without issue and without feeling as though my food is subpar to everyone else's. Please.

Edited by TravelKnitter

I agree! The food should taste wonderful, without compromise.

I'll sail on the Summit later this year, and believe me, if the gluten free food isn't outstanding, I'll be writing about it EVERYWHERE. And I hope they up the pizza quality, too. There is no excuse not to be able to make an outstanding gluten free pizza or flatbread these days.

Another thing that bothers me is how cruise lines can lack when it comes to sweets. An ice cream server should be able to dip into dedicated ice cream, or untouched ice cream so there's no cross-contamination from cones. Also, a server should know, without a doubt which ice cream, if any, is gluten free.

Coffee shops, sweet shops, etc. should have gluten-free options, too. And there should be nice sweets available for high tea.

For dessert, should be options other than creme brulee, flourless chocolate cake, and molten lava cake. After years of having to eat gluten free, I am so sick of these desserts, but that's usually all that's offered.

Breads, muffins, cookies - good grief, even the worst baker can make excellent gluten-free treats these days. Why can't a skilled "chef?" And yes, just use a mix, or buy some certified gluten-free pre-packaged items. Good grief.

Another thing I've encountered during travel is that not all chefs know that flour stays airborne. That is, if wheat flour is used anywhere near a gluten-free preparation area, there's going to be cross-contamination.

I paid a lot of money to stay at a bed and breakfast in Ireland--one that featured gluten-free breakfasts. I got so sick! Yes, they were using flour in the same area as where they prepared their regular foods.

Celebrity Summit, please, I am begging you: I am paying a lot of money for my upcoming cruise, and I want to enjoy my food without issue and without feeling as though my food is subpar to everyone else's. Please.

Amen. It makes me so angry that GF is not taken seriously. My husband had kidney failure before he was diagnosed. He lost 40 pounds. This is not a fad diet. Thank goodness we have outstanding restaurants in the DC area that provide him with outstanding delicious GF options. I make great muffins, brownies and cakes that are created from mixes. We will not sail Celebrity unless they improve.

TravelKnitter, I am in complete agreement with you! I hate it when I mention gluten free and the waiter says "we have a beautiful gluten free dessert for you, crème brulee." After 15 years I am tired of crème brulee and the other offered desserts whether or Celebrity or HAL. Additionally, I try to limit dairy to 1 serving a day, usually a dessert. I would rather have most anything rather than chocolate. As for the fruit plate, it never varies.

Two years ago I wrote to the culinary team with the same complaints. I am really surprised to see things have not changed. In January of 2015 I found a nice selection of bread from one of the gf bakers, rye, white, raisin along with a dedicated toaster in the Lido. In May of 15 I was given the old 1 year, shelf stable bread. Needless to say, I was not a happy cruiser.

We like longer cruises but I am really ready to give up on cruising since I am tired of watching everyone else enjoy the extras such as appealing desserts in the Lido and at dinner, nice desserts of just good cookies at the coffee bar. Forget a waffle or pancake that does not choke you on the way down because it is made of simply rice flour. Forget going to tea, you wait 30 or more minutes as others enjoy their tea and other delectable treats. Finally someone realizes you might enjoy a "hardtack" biscuit or an open faced sandwich on the shelf stable bread. I am tired of feeling like a begger or that I am asking for the moon.

So true. I am able to eat everything. But seeing my husband really disappointed in his meals really makes it difficult. We are dining Saturday night in one of the top French restaurants in the DC area. I just checked out their menu. 75 percent of their menu had a red star which indicated GF. We are Select on Celebrity and will not make it to elite. In fact, our next cruise is on Princess and we will cancel if we don't see good reviews on their GF offerings.

So true. I am able to eat everything. But seeing my husband really disappointed in his meals really makes it difficult. We are dining Saturday night in one of the top French restaurants in the DC area. I just checked out their menu. 75 percent of their menu had a red star which indicated GF. We are Select on Celebrity and will not make it to elite. In fact, our next cruise is on Princess and we will cancel if we don't see good reviews on their GF offerings.

We were on the Regal Princess last year. The GF selections on Princess were, IMHO , far more limited than on Celebrity.

We are booked on the Regal in 2017. We will cancel that sailing if they don't provide adequate GF options. I'm afraid we will be sailing in the future on the smaller cruise lines that do offer good GF options.

We are Select on Celebrity and will not make it to elite. In fact, our next cruise is on Princess and we will cancel if we don't see good reviews on their GF offerings.

]

We were on the Regal Princess last year. The GF selections on Princess were, IMHO , far more limited than on Celebrity.

We were on the Ruby Princess in 2012 and staff knowledge about GF issues was poor. We "HAD" been sailing Princess since 1992. My Wife never got sick, which is a good thing, but did not enjoy the dining much at all.

Even some high-end lines need considerable improvement. We did a European cruise on Crystal in 2014, and I felt the same restrictions there. Surprisingly, the gf desserts on Carnival were better than the gf desserts on Crystal!

With more and more people being diagnosed with gluten intolerance, the first cruise line to truly get it -- that is, to allow us to enjoy all food areas on the ship, everything from the buffet to the coffee shop -- that line will attract business like crazy.

Buffet: Have a dedicated gluten free station and make sure that the food prep area for that station is free from the risk of cross contamination.

Coffee shop: Pre-wrapped, gf cookies, etc.

It can be done. Someone just needs to care enough to do it.

And yes, it can be equally difficult for people without gluten intolerance to enjoy their trip if they're sailing with someone who has it. It's painful to watch that person you love eat crap while you get to enjoy anything you want. Cruise lines owe it to spouses, friends, and relatives of the gluten-intolerant to serve wonderful food to ALL, to help everyone relax and have a good time.

And, if you can't do it, then, hey, how about this: let me travel at a reduced price! I've paid for all of the food, yet I can only eat a small fraction of it? Where's the justice? It's like charging me for a suite and then telling me I must sleep on the floor.

I sure wish cruise lines would get it, especially today when it is soooo much easier to cater to gf needs.

Edited by TravelKnitter

I have been reading all of your posts, and I have to say, I am a little scared for our upcoming cruise on the reflection. I have Celiac Disease, and I have posted a few times about the amazing experience I had on the Summit in 2015. It really was wonderful. Everyone took extra care to make sure I had wonderful meals and amazing desserts. Especially the desserts, because I to am so tired of Crème Brulee. :p

We chose to go back to X because our cruise last December on Carnival was terrible when it came to food. I was cross contaminated in the Specialty Italian restaurant, nothing but cheese and veggies for lunch everyday, and the bread was actually inedible. Not because of texture, but because it tasted like I was eating straight baking soda. BLECK! It was the first cruise I have been on where I actually lost weight. :eek:

I am hoping that my experience on the Reflection will at least be similar to the Summit. But, truly we never know until we are in the middle of it. I do know, that GF pizza on any ship is beyond sad, and I will never waste my time trying it again. :(

I have been reading all of your posts, and I have to say, I am a little scared for our upcoming cruise on the reflection. I have Celiac Disease, and I have posted a few times about the amazing experience I had on the Summit in 2015. It really was wonderful. Everyone took extra care to make sure I had wonderful meals and amazing desserts. Especially the desserts, because I to am so tired of Crème Brulee. :p

We chose to go back to X because our cruise last December on Carnival was terrible when it came to food. I was cross contaminated in the Specialty Italian restaurant, nothing but cheese and veggies for lunch everyday, and the bread was actually inedible. Not because of texture, but because it tasted like I was eating straight baking soda. BLECK! It was the first cruise I have been on where I actually lost weight. :eek:

I am hoping that my experience on the Reflection will at least be similar to the Summit. But, truly we never know until we are in the middle of it. I do know, that GF pizza on any ship is beyond sad, and I will never waste my time trying it again. :(

Linda, my wife is stage 4 Celiac, the wall of her stomach is about gone. The Reflection in 2013 was the best she has been cared for by the staff on a cruise ship in 25 years.

I am only gluten-sensitive so my the issue isn't as critical as some of the other posters. I do have a shellfish allergy that can be life-threatening and lactose intolerance.

My big complaint is that they don't let us know what the ingredients are. Why can't they accurately label the food at the buffet and identify the most common food concerns? Gluten, shellfish, nuts, dairy, vegan, etc? Many restaurants provide this information on their menus. I, too, have had the experience of indifference and lack of knowledge by the servers. I have stopped asking them about ingredients because I just can't chance it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I am only gluten-sensitive so my the issue isn't as critical as some of the other posters. I do have a shellfish allergy that can be life-threatening and lactose intolerance.

My big complaint is that they don't let us know what the ingredients are. Why can't they accurately label the food at the buffet and identify the most common food concerns? Gluten, shellfish, nuts, dairy, vegan, etc? Many restaurants provide this information on their menus. I, too, have had the experience of indifference and lack of knowledge by the servers. I have stopped asking them about ingredients because I just can't chance it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

We have similar issues and I've requested the labeling while on the ship, in the post cruise survey and in several calls to the Captains Club post cruise.

Don't know why this can't happen but we've pretty much given up on eating in the buffet.

I'm hoping this new "Dine Aware" program will address this. It seems to be about making dining staff more knowledgeable about food allergies.

Linda, my wife is stage 4 Celiac, the wall of her stomach is about gone. The Reflection in 2013 was the best she has been cared for by the staff on a cruise ship in 25 years.

I am so glad to hear that your past experience was similar to mine. I am going to hope for the best. :)

• 2 weeks later...
We have similar issues and I've requested the labeling while on the ship, in the post cruise survey and in several calls to the Captains Club post cruise.

Don't know why this can't happen but we've pretty much given up on eating in the buffet.

I'm hoping this new "Dine Aware" program will address this. It seems to be about making dining staff more knowledgeable about food allergies.

Dine Aware sounds wonderful! http://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/news-headlines/celebrity-dishes-up-new-sushi-spot-special-concierge-class-dining-food-allergy-program.html?print=1&tmpl=component

Sadly, the implementation of it will take place after my cruise, but I'm impressed to see Celebrity offer it. Bravo!

Edited by TravelKnitter

My brother-in-law needs food that is both gluten free and lactose free. He has always been happy on HAL cruises - but I don't think he is too concerned about desserts and cakes.

Recently he and my sister went on B2B river cruises. The first was excellent, and the maitre d' took special care of his food. On the second river cruise the maitre d' argued with a chef over whether or not he could eat a dish. Of course it was the maitre d' who presented the dish to him so he knew nothing of the argument. The chef was correct and my brother-in-law ended up ill.

On a positive note, though, they have stayed with me here in the UK during the past week (over from Australia) and he was very impressed with the jam tarts and bakewell tarts I found for him in my supermarket. These are cakes he has not eaten for years and they seemed to him to taste just as he remembered them. (In fact my sister, who has no food allergies, ate and enjoyed 2 of the bakewell tarts and she is fussy about her cakes.)

Edited by fantasy51