What is it like sailing the week BEFORE Christmas?

HLR

Hi All!

What is it like sailing the week before Christmas and returning the day before Xmas Eve? Booked on the Anthem returning on December 23rd.

It looks to me when I check prices that the ship is empty so far! I got a great deal initially and already upgraded to a far better cabin for a cut in the price. I know it is 5 months out and cruise ships don't sail empty...but every category I click on has 25 cabins available...rows of dots showing bunches of empty cabins on the deck plan.

What might it be like?

HLR

Hi All!

What is it like sailing the week before Christmas and returning the day before Xmas Eve? Booked on the Anthem returning on December 23rd.

It looks to me when I check prices that the ship is empty so far! I got a great deal initially and already upgraded to a far better cabin for a cut in the price. I know it is 5 months out and cruise ships don't sail empty...but every category I click on has 25 cabins available...rows of dots showing bunches of empty cabins on the deck plan.

What might it be like?

HLR

It's still the "cheap season" because most schools are still in session then, and the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas is one of the slowest times for cruise lines.

That having been said, there WILL be families and there WILL be children.

Many parents will look at those prices, compare them to the following week, and say, "Oh, teachers don't *really do anything* that last week of school before break; let's save money and yank Our Brilliant Perfect Little Snowflake out of school for the cruise."

:rolleyes:

It's a long time between now and December, lots of time for price drops, if necessary Those staterooms will fill up.

The ship will be decorated nicely for the holidays.:)

You made me go look at the prices.

Holy moly, those are CHEAP Anthem prices!

If you don't have school age kids, GO and enjoy.

As a matter of fact, treat yourselves. Upgrade to a JS and eat in Coastal Kitchen! It's like getting specialty dining for free!

It is very festive with decorations everywhere. We did the Explorer a few years ago and returned to Bayonne Dec. 23. I did a lot of Christmas shopping in the Caribbean. Actually not a lot of kids, I think maybe 50. The CD said the following week, Christmas had 600 kids booked. :eek:

It was fun, many men wore festive or funky ties on formal night.:D

December is a real mixed bag. We usually cruise one of the first 2 weeks of December between the holidays for a relaxing cruise at a great price without the holiday crowds, but all of the atmosphere. The third week seems to start picking up with higher pricing and younger crowds with some jumping the gun and taking kids out early. Then comes the Christmas and New Years sailings, and those are an entirely different animal. I've tried them and am not a fan at all. If all cruises were like those, I'd find a different type of vacation.

Thanks all for the insights!

I'm in a D6 with only a 33% Single Supplement and it's a hump [if that is the correct term for this] balcony which has the bigger balcony at an angle. Would love a Jr. Suite...but the price would be $1620 more at this time! It's just me...

HLR

The OP is from Jersey City!!!!! ;) :D :rolleyes: :p

I use the term "New Yorkers" interchangeably to include the entire surrounding metro area.... Plus "New Jerseyers" just does not roll off the tongue! Down here in Florida, we just lump y'all together... Lol

Many parents will look at those prices, compare them to the following week, and say, "Oh, teachers don't *really do anything* that last week of school before break; let's save money and yank Our Brilliant Perfect Little Snowflake out of school for the cruise."

:rolleyes:

I went to school, I currently know many teachers, and I know many students of varying ages who go to several schools in the area, and I gotta ask...do you really know any average teachers who actually do anything meaningful the week before school lets out?

That said, at least in our area, break starts, in effect, on Saturday the 17th so a kid from here going on Anthem would hardly have to miss any school. We'll be sailing out of San Juan on that day, so if DS weren't homeschooled WE would be missing it, but that's just because we're doing extra. :)

Edited by mollyeilis

Hi All!

What might it be like?

HLR

It's our favorite time to travel. The ships are decorated, the prices are low and the number of other people's children is also low.

I went to school, I currently know many teachers, and I know many students of varying ages who go to several schools in the area, and I gotta ask...do you really know any average teachers who actually do anything meaningful the week before school lets out?

My son's school schedules final exams the week school lets out. This past year, my son had a final on the last day for each semester. I guess that way they make sure the kids come until the very end and they get that funding for those days. I was shocked and appalled when we moved to this district and I saw that!!! LOL!!! I told him "Wow, we used to basically do nothing that last week!"

My son's school schedules final exams the week school lets out. This past year, my son had a final on the last day for each semester. I guess that way they make sure the kids come until the very end and they get that funding for those days. I was shocked and appalled when we moved to this district and I saw that!!! LOL!!! I told him "Wow, we used to basically do nothing that last week!"
Yes - shocking and appalling that schools actually try to do something related to education:eek::rolleyes:

on this cruise and booked because of the great price. This ship is empty and has been since I booked in early June. I am paying for 2 what it would cost for one passenger during any other time. My only concern was the ocean trip to the Bahama's. Are the seas rough traveling down the east coast?

I can't wait to experience this ship. It looks amazing. :D