54 days out and roomie might need to cancel - advice?

Hi everyone!

I read a lot here and KNOW I've read this before but it never pertained to me so didn't pay much attention to it. Of course, now it does. I tried searching, but didn't seem to find the right combination of words to find what I need. I even looked back through 10 pages of threads. Any advice would be welcome.

We leave in 54 days. My BFF (roomie) is going through some unexpected health issues and may not be able to travel at that time. We won't know for awhile to be honest.

I'm thinking that the best option is to just leave it be, and if she no-shows, no big deal. We'll get the port fees/taxes and grats refunded.

We're booked in an AFT D1 balcony. It doesn't appear to have a minimum occupancy.

Is this the best option? Yes, I know I can call and ask, but really don't want to put this on the radar if I don't have to.

And before someone asks, no, there is no insurance.

Thanks for any advice and thoughts!

I am sorry to hear your friend is having health issues. i hope they have a speedy recovery. If I im not mistaken the only 2 options is to do what you suggested OR if you are the primary person you can change the 2nd person in the room and the new person would just pay your friend the half they paid. I am not sure how many days out that has to be finalized. Someone else may have that answer on here Good Luck

I would keep the booking as is. That way either the current roomate goes, or maybe you find another to take their place. I don't see any advantage to cancelling as you being a solo will pay the same price.

Thanks everyone.

Yes, I would be going by myself if she isn't able to go. I should have clarified that.

I thought the best option was to just leave things be, but wanted to make sure I was on the right track!

She's going to be fine, but it might take awhile for them to get her meds on the right track, and a 14 hr flight home from our final destination may be against doctors orders at this time (clotting issues). Thank you for the thoughts!

Thanks everyone.

Yes, I would be going by myself if she isn't able to go. I should have clarified that.

I thought the best option was to just leave things be, but wanted to make sure I was on the right track!

She's going to be fine, but it might take awhile for them to get her meds on the right track, and a 14 hr flight home from our final destination may be against doctors orders at this time (clotting issues). Thank you for the thoughts!

Don't forget you will get 2 pts per night. Also, after going solo and having a cabin to yourself you will never want to have a roomie again! You have such freedom to do what you want when you want and not having to compromise.

Don't forget you will get 2 pts per night. Also, after going solo and having a cabin to yourself you will never want to have a roomie again! You have such freedom to do what you want when you want and not having to compromise.

LOL!!! My sister sailed solo on her first 2 cruises and now refuses to share. She says it's worth it!

I agree! I LOVE sailing solo! I usually go with a group, but get a cabin to myself. It's wonderful not having to worry about anyone else getting ready, using the shower, going on shore excursions, etc. I can do whatever I feel like doing when the mood strikes.

I don't believe (may be wrong) the OP would get double points since it wasn't booked as a solo cruise....and the OP didn't cancel the 2nd occupant.

I don't believe (may be wrong) the OP would get double points since it wasn't booked as a solo cruise....and the OP didn't cancel the 2nd occupant.

I don't know if the policy has changed, but I have a friend who had the same situation about a year ago and did get the double points.

I would not cancel because if your BFF is not able to travel, you can always change the name on the reservation. Hope they soon get her meds figured out. I know how hard that can be as it took a week or two to get my husband's dose right. She just needs to remember that she must get up and move around every two hours to help with the issue. Good luck to your friend and enjoy your cruise.

I would not cancel because if your BFF is not able to travel, you can always change the name on the reservation. Hope they soon get her meds figured out. I know how hard that can be as it took a week or two to get my husband's dose right. She just needs to remember that she must get up and move around every two hours to help with the issue. Good luck to your friend and enjoy your cruise.

I'm actually going with a group of people (including BFF), so if she isn't able to travel, I will still go and just have the room to myself.

Yes, we are expecting a week or two for them to get the treatment set right for her situation.

Ironically, she had already upgraded her flight home to be in the seats that have more leg room. So we're really hoping that as long as she gets up every hour and moves, etc, that the DR will OK her travel (everything else be OK of course).

Don't know the particulars or the agreement you have with your friend, but at 54 days your friend can still get a 50% refund. I know that puts the entire cost of the "single" cruise on you. But it might need to be considered.

We don't want to cancel her out because we still hope she'll be able to go. So at this point, she'll go, or be a no-show.

I'm actually going with a group of people (including BFF), so if she isn't able to travel, I will still go and just have the room to myself.

Yes, we are expecting a week or two for them to get the treatment set right for her situation.

Ironically, she had already upgraded her flight home to be in the seats that have more leg room. So we're really hoping that as long as she gets up every hour and moves, etc, that the DR will OK her travel (everything else be OK of course).

I hope it works out. Sounds like she'll NEED this trip as much as anyone!:D

LOL!!! My sister sailed solo on her first 2 cruises and now refuses to share. She says it's worth it!

That will be me.I travel SOLO and my friend, also solo, asking if I would like to share a cabin. No way. What a freedom! and do what you want to do is priceless..Until I can afford to do it - only me in the room:)