Rumor from Teppanyaki on Norwegian Escape

Daghis

It's doused in a nasty thick, creamy sauce that practically hides the fact it's lobster. I agree that it's terrible. Worst meal I've ever had in a specialty restaurant.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Note to self: avoid lobster. :cool:

I would love it if they had a squid steak. We had it on Princess during an Alaska cruise and it was awesome! :D

Note to self: avoid lobster. :cool:

I would love it if they had a squid steak. We had it on Princess during an Alaska cruise and it was awesome! :D

Teppanyaki does have a squid steak (calamari). It's my favorite choice along with the filet. :)

Was lobster always on the menu? I recall eating in T. many times (although it's been a few years) and I don't remember lobster being on the menu for FREE.:confused:

Shrimp, yes. Lobster?:confused:

They had it in May, no up charge and delicious!

Edited by Zoey

They have whole lobster or surf and turf in the Haven dining room. The lobster tail is kinda small, but they offer you an extra one if you like, and very nice it is too. :)

Lobster has been removed from the haven menu. Surf and turf now has been replaced with shrimp.

Harriet

Agree with the poster on Le Bistro lobster being overly saucy and hiding any lobster to enjoy. We tried to eat it anyway but had to give up for fear of getting sick. But for me the worst was at La Cucina, lobster with a red sauce Yuck! Agree Tep had the only good lobster but we're tried of dining with a large group of strangers, especially when none of them utter a word and sit there cold face throughout the whole dinner. Now we have no reason to eat there anymore.

I just don't get the huge deal with lobster tail? I have cruised many times and every time I read these boards there is some discussion about lobster. You would think that it was impossible to get anywhere else! I was in Fresh Market in Charlotte NC and lobster tail was being sold for 7.99 a piece last week. People act like the only place they will ever get to eat lobster is on a cruise.

I just don't get the huge deal with lobster tail? I have cruised many times and every time I read these boards there is some discussion about lobster. You would think that it was impossible to get anywhere else! I was in Fresh Market in Charlotte NC and lobster tail was being sold for 7.99 a piece last week. People act like the only place they will ever get to eat lobster is on a cruise.

For me it is !! Lol ...

Many people don't know how to properly prepare lobster. And yes, for a lot of people it's associated with vacation.

(I'm also in NC. I have really bad luck sourcing lobster tails, you'd think I'd learn to start smelling them first. The ones at my HT are almost always gone off/mushy ammonia bombs. Especially when they're on sale. I gave up buying them there. Poor grocery options near Southpoint mall though.)

I agree. Also, there are many land restaurants that serve lobster; one doesn't have to wait until they are on a cruise to have it if they like it that much.

My dad loves lobster and pretty much gets when on vacation, personally I can take it or leave it. He has never really tried to cook or prepare one at home, not sure how successful that would be. He really disliked the dish from LaCucina.

I like fra diavolo style foods and was looking forward to having the lobster in La Cucina. But if they've replaced the lobster with shrimp, that's OK with me.

ETA: I was also thinking about having the surf & turf @Teppanyaki, but again, I'm fine with shrimp. We've got a good fish store, so I can always get lobster if I've got a craving (and room in the budget).

Edited by jm485

Many people don't know how to properly prepare lobster. And yes, for a lot of people it's associated with vacation.

That is so true AdoraBelle ... don't know if people remember the show Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous and Robin Leach's famous line ... "champagne wishes and caviar dreams ...

Cruising offers individuals like ourselves an opportunity to enjoy some of the "finer" things in life that we normally do not partake in regularly, such as lobster. I remember our honeymoon cruise long ago ... when I found out the MDR was offering Steak and Eggs for breakfast, guess where I was each morning - lol :) - of course, I could go out to the local Denny's back at home and grab something similar - but then I'm not on holiday then either.

Lobster isn't going to make or break a cruise for me but it's an experience I've enjoyed on every cruise we've been on - there has always been a lobster night and DW knows it's one thing that I look forward to as I do not eat lobster at home due to her allergies.

I'd like to know if it is just a temporary absence from one of the NCL dining menus or not ... is it just that one restaurant or ship-wide ... first it's no bringing bottled water aboard ... and now ...lobster? ;)

Edited by FM

...never order what passes for lobster on a ship.....

But please don't try to say lobster isn't a great dish!!

I never said it wasn't, but based on the warm water ones they serve on ships. It is.

Most people have never had a real, freshly caught, cold water lobster. All they know is cruise ships, overcooked hibatchi, and Red Lobster. *shudder*

Unless you're getting a fresh cold water, you're better off enjoying some of the other amazing seafood out there.

Unfortunately, the one removed from the Haven menu was a 1.5 lb whole cold water lobster. I have had it before and it was very good and I get them fresh caught here in NJ all the time. Is it a big deal that we can no longer get them? NO. But when I spend 9k on a cabin and they start to take stuff away and throw a couple of lousy shrimps in its place I no longer care to spend my hard earned dollar on a diluted product. Geez, I can't even get a comped bottle of water for 9 grand? I just came back from a week at an all inclusive in Mexico that was less than half the price and it included lobster, filet mignon and UBP and low and behold all the bottled water I could drink!!!!!!!!

IMO there are much better values than the nickel and dime product NCL is now offering. Once my cruise certificates run out we will no longer be using this cruise line in the future.

How much does the teppanyaki dinner cost for kids, under 10?

If I book it online before I leave for the cruise, how late can I cancel my reservation without penalty if I decide to do so?

Thanks

I never said it wasn't, but based on the warm water ones they serve on ships. It is.

Most people have never had a real, freshly caught, cold water lobster. All they know is cruise ships, overcooked hibatchi, and Red Lobster. *shudder*

Unless you're getting a fresh cold water, you're better off enjoying some of the other amazing seafood out there.

I agree. I'm from Boston so Maine lobster is readily available and it is truly its own thing on its own level. I have had lobster on ships and it is clearly Caribbean lobster no matter what they might tell you. (Perhaps it is different in something like the Haven)

P.S, even Gordon Ramsay went off on some lobster shop owner who claimed he was selling Maine lobster rolls. Gordon took one bite, called BS then went searching. It was from Canada. So, yes, "real" lobster is much different.

That being said, the majority of the population don't have access to Maine lobster so to them they enjoy what the ship offers and I am sorry yet another thing has been taken from them. Sigh. Come on NCL. Soon we'll be down to plastic utensils. lol

Edited by purpletequila

How much does the teppanyaki dinner cost for kids, under 10?

If I book it online before I leave for the cruise, how late can I cancel my reservation without penalty if I decide to do so?

Thanks

It depends what they want to eat. If they want to eat the Teppanyaki food, then it costs the SAME as an adult. If they want to order a hamburger from the kids meal, it will be prepared in the MDR kitchen and brought up to the table for free. NCL used to charge half price for kids, but no more.

Unfortunately, the one removed from the Haven menu was a 1.5 lb whole cold water lobster. I have had it before and it was very good and I get them fresh caught here in NJ all the time. Is it a big deal that we can no longer get them? NO. But when I spend 9k on a cabin and they start to take stuff away and throw a couple of lousy shrimps in its place I no longer care to spend my hard earned dollar on a diluted product. Geez, I can't even get a comped bottle of water for 9 grand? I just came back from a week at an all inclusive in Mexico that was less than half the price and it included lobster, filet mignon and UBP and low and behold all the bottled water I could drink!!!!!!!!

IMO there are much better values than the nickel and dime product NCL is now offering. Once my cruise certificates run out we will no longer be using this cruise line in the future.

NCL Haven prices are ridiculous and you deserve that lobster in my worthless opinion. lol But that being said, now back up please. Even the Haven does not get bottled water included????????????????????????? For a minimum of 3 grand per? LOL!!!!