question on Regent airline choice and related

jpohio

I am considering a Regent cruise next June to the Baltic. The "included" business class airfare seems very attractive on the surface - traveling to that region from the midwest is pretty expensive. Having never sailed with Regent I do not know how this program works - do they pick your flights, is it really business class/first class, can you influence choice of flights?

Any information is appreciated.

I am considering a Regent cruise next June to the Baltic. The "included" business class airfare seems very attractive on the surface - traveling to that region from the midwest is pretty expensive. Having never sailed with Regent I do not know how this program works - do they pick your flights, is it really business class/first class, can you influence choice of flights?

Any information is appreciated.

Check the "sticky": Regent Flights - with and without deviation.

It is the first thread on the list of Regent topics.

Agree that you should read the "sticky" above but will give a brief overview. Regent contracts with most airlines but only on certain routes and the number of passengers on each plane is limited (as per the contract). If you want to select your own flights (assuming they have a contract with Regent), and book 270 days in advance of your cruise, you "deviate". This costs $175/person. If you do not deviate, Regent will assign you flights approximately 3 months prior to the cruise.

We always deviate and usually fly British Airways out of Vancouver. On our flights earlier this month we flew Lufthansa. It is the same Business Class that you would get if you booked it yourself. And, if you do not like the seats you are assigned, you can go online and change them (on the airline website).

Note: Flights within the U.S. are usually coach. So, if you are flying from the Midwest to New York, for example, that portion may be coach** while the overseas portion will be Business Class.

When we have an upcoming trip, we check out the flights and the planes that are used for the flights (some airlines have flat-bed seats while others have angled seats). As the 270 day mark approaches, we send two to three choices to our TA and they submit it to Regent (or you can go directly to Regent* and work with them). Most of the time we get the flights that we want.

There are more details in the "sticky" thread but this gives you an idea of how it works.

*Hope that you are working with a TA that regularly books luxury cruises as there are many benefits to be had that do not exist if you book directly with Regent.

**If you are booked on the same airline going across the U.S. as on the international portion, the airline will usually book you in First Class for the domestic portion.

You have selected a wonderful itinerary and should enjoy it immensely!

I live in Montana and it does no good to deviate since they won't acknowledge any "Gateway Cities" there. So that requires us to make our own flight arrangements to either DEN, or MSP.

What I like to do is look at the flights on line from the different airlines. After that I send my TA a list with 3 or 4 flight arrangements in order of preference I would like to REQUEST with Regent Air. Been very fortunate and have received 1st or 2nd choice in the past and 1st choice coming up this March 23rd 2017.

Once I receive a email with the flights Regent made for me I immediately go to the site and check the seat assignment and make changes as needed.

If you book business class air with Regent you will have that.

Travelcat2 has explained everything real well and hope this information is helpful to you.

Edited by Jim B

Jim B. Have you gotten your flights for March 23rd already, and if so, did you do a deviation? I was just a little confused about your deviation or lack thereof.

I believe we are on the same cruise, but I am out of Houston.

Just a quick question on this theme. We are in the process of booking a Stockholm to London on the Explorer and will be flying out of Toronto. Could anyone tell me what airline Regent is likely to use. I have dual British and Canadian nationality, but will admit to preferring BA over Air Canada business class.

Just a quick question on this theme. We are in the process of booking a Stockholm to London on the Explorer and will be flying out of Toronto. Could anyone tell me what airline Regent is likely to use. I have dual British and Canadian nationality, but will admit to preferring BA over Air Canada business class.

Really no way to give you a most likely airline. So many variables. Who is the contract with at the time of your flights, which airline is the least expensive. Have all the contracted seats been used or not, etc., etc., etc. Also most people strongly suggest not flying in on the day of the cruise as so many variables and problems can occur causing you to miss the start of your cruise. You also are not guaranteed non-stops so there could be stops either or both ways further possibly complicating your arrival time. The $175 pp deviation cost covers both ways and nice to arrive a few days early and fly home a day or two later. Also allows you to choose your airline and flight times depending on if there is an upcharge or not for those flights. Waiting until you get your flights about 75 days prior to your cruise leaves very little to no time to then deviate without the flight costing you an arm and a leg. Best is to request your flights at the 270 day mark and have the best choice while getting in more sightseeing and time to work on your jet lag.

We are quite familiar with flying out of Canada and having Regent book us (always deviate). Regent prefers booking British Airways over Air Canada (Business Class of course). Those of us that regularly use Regent Air have a fairly good idea of which airlines Regent is currently using. Still think that deviating is the best way to insure that you get what you want.

You are right. The best way to assure your preference is to have your TA call regent 270 days out. The $175.00 is worth every penny. We flew U.S. Air last year from Las Vegas to Phili to Rome...Great seats in business class...Return trip was with Delta...which was a very old 757 Rome to Los Angeles to Las Vegas...We are hoping for BA as the flight is on a 747....love the upstairs. We are booked on Explorer July 13 Stockholm to London...Can't wait.

Thank you for that information. We don't mind Air Canada, but it's not our favourite carrier. The advantage of flying with them would be collecting aeroplan miles on the trip. We have never arrived on the day of the cruise's start so are happy that one night's accommodation is included in the level of cabin we propose to book. We don't like layovers so I think we will pay the deviation to ensure that we have non-stop flights. We have an excellent travel agent who is very familiar with Regent, so will leave all that in her capable hands.

Spindrift:

Yes I have my tickets for the 23rd and April 19th

Just as soon as I had the confirmation from Regent Air on our VCE to DEN business air

I immediately went to the United site and booked our BIL to DEN to MIA flight going on the 23rd and our DEN to BIL flight back on the 19th.

What I dislike is when landing at DEN we will have to pick up our luggage and go back to

the ticket counter and TSA because it is a new flight and not continuing flight.

Other than that hassle have plenty of time between the 3:30 pm arrival and 8:30 pm flight to BIL.

Since I am on my own getting to MIA there was no deviation. Which we could have not gotten anyway since Regent Air does not recognize BIL as even a secondary Gateway City.

I must not be that picky, because I've always been pretty happy with the routing that Regent provides...except when they routed me through ATL with only a 45 minute layover. No matter how much I told them this wasn't sufficient, they insisted it was...and we've NEVER managed to connect through ATL with less than a 90 minute window.

Our last trip took us from CLT-BCN direct on American, which was fine. The return was from TLV-EWR-CLT on United which was better than I expected. The last leg from EWR to CLT was in First Class, but since it was on an Embraer, it didn't really count. :p

Since we've been cruising with Regent (from 2009), we've lived in Colorado Springs, Louisville, and now Greenville, SC. Except for Louisville, we have always been close to gateway cities so we can't complain.

The way I see it, even if the flight isn't perfect, it's only a few hours out of a 10-20 (or more) day trip. I'll deal with it as long as it's Business Class or better.