Selected cabin changed to a Guarantee!

Sopwith

We've wondered about cabins near the elevator lobby in the past. How did you find this cabin?
We've had a few of them, and only occasionally would there be some noise from a well-oiled group getting off the elevator in the wee hours and talking and laughing loudly - but those disturbances only lasted a minute or two.

Rocketman - you were asking about cabins at or near the elevator lobby area.

Dh and I love that area, and if we choose a cabin rather than use guarantee, we will always choose this area.

We had initially thought they would be noisy, but we've never, ever had noise. We don't hear folks coming and going. It could be different if you were at a elevator lobby at the point where people are leaving to go Port. We've never been there.

We love when we can get off the elevator, and our room is Right There. Straight ahead, or right around the corner. I don't ever get lost! Ha!

Shealea; FredT; Catl331:

Appreciate the responses. We booked a room where the door appears to open directly into the aft elevator lobby on the Navigation Deck of Rotterdam. This is an SB cabin and all cabins forward of this cabin are SA. By walking 20 feet further, we saved $400. The PCC assured us that she had no noise complaints from any one booking one of these cabins.

That's because a lot of people like 3rdGen don't realize that you can do guarantees at any level. (Well, not PS!) On the selection page they see the Choose Your Own price of $3,499 and the Let Us Choose price of $3,199 and conclude that guarantees are cheaper. Only if they ever try the Let Us Choose option will they see that there are also guarantees higher than $3,199, and that price is just for the entry level cabins.

I understand that now. But when I was checking out a cruise for this winter I figured out why I thought guarantees were cheaper. When I'm looking at a cruise on a Vista, I look at Neptunes to get a corner aft. There are only 6 SCs. If they're all booked (as they are on the cruise I was looking at), the "let us choose" fare that I see when I go to "Location & Deck" is the SC fare, even though none show as available. When I browse the deck plan to select a cabin, the available cabins are all more expensive because they're SB and SA. For the cruise in question:

"Let us choose" is $2999

SB is $3309

SA is $3619

So in this case, I'm seeing a guarantee for less than anything I can select. HAL's tendency to have only a few "entry level" cabins for any category probably is the source of the belief that guarantees are cheaper than choosing. Once the entry level cabins are gone, the guarantee is cheaper than cabins available to choose.

Shealea; FredT; Catl331

Appreciate the responses. We booked a room where the door appears to open directly into the aft elevator lobby on the Navigation Deck of Rotterdam. This is an SB cabin and all cabins forward of this cabin are SA. By walking 20 feet further, we saved $400. The PCC assured us that she had no noise complaints from any one booking one of these cabins.

This past July we were in 8024 on the Westerdam also on the Navigation deck. Right by the elevator and just under the spa. We heard no noise from the spa area. There was no "noise" from the elevators however, we often had people come down the stairs from the spa and they were confused on where they were. It wasn't terrible by any means but there were many times we heard snippets of conversations showing their confusion. Like I said, it wasn't terrible and did not impact our enjoyment but I would not personally book this room on this deck just because of the location and people getting lost.

have also been booked in 328 on the Veendam. This room is directly behind the elevator and was my favorite location ever.

So, if it's saving you $400, I would keep what you have. [emoji5]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Cruiser Andi

This past July we were in 8024 on the Westerdam also on the Navigation deck. Right by the elevator and just under the spa. We heard no noise from the spa area. There was no "noise" from the elevators however, we often had people come down the stairs from the spa and they were confused on where they were. It wasn't terrible by any means but there were many times we heard snippets of conversations showing their confusion. Like I said, it wasn't terrible and did not impact our enjoyment but I would not personally book this room on this deck just because of the location and people getting lost.

have also been booked in 328 on the Veendam. This room is directly behind the elevator and was my favorite location ever.

So, if it's saving you $400, I would keep what you have. [emoji5]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Our cabin is by the aft elevators, 738. It opens more into the stairs and not so much into the elevators. Doubt it would get much traffic except from those taking the stairs to the Lido. We'll see and thanks for your information. For $400, we'll put up with it.

Our cabin is by the aft elevators, 738. It opens more into the stairs and not so much into the elevators. Doubt it would get much traffic except from those taking the stairs to the Lido. We'll see and thanks for your information. For $400, we'll put up with it.

7038? I believe that is one of the cabins with the large overhang that can obstruct your view. There's some pics on halfacts of such a cabin with the balcony if you want to take a look. (I believe it is the last 6 cabins beginning with 7030 but my memory is short).

7038? I believe that is one of the cabins with the large overhang that can obstruct your view. There's some pics on halfacts of such a cabin with the balcony if you want to take a look. (I believe it is the last 6 cabins beginning with 7030 but my memory is short).

Thanks for mentioning that. We wanted a cabin with the overhang since we prefer fully covered balconies. I checked out Halfacts before booking the cabin. I've seen the pictures and the comments. The comment was that the overhang obscured the view when looking upward in the fjords in Norway. I'm fairly confident we won't experience that problem in the Caribbean.

I was really more concerned about the cabin being under the Lido. But all the SB and SA cabins are under the Lido or the pool on Rotterdam. The PCC said the area above was carpeted and she'd heard no complaints about noise.

Thanks for mentioning that. We wanted a cabin with the overhang since we prefer fully covered balconies. I checked out Halfacts before booking the cabin. I've seen the pictures and the comments. The comment was that the overhang obscured the view when looking upward in the fjords in Norway. I'm fairly confident we won't experience that problem in the Caribbean.

I was really more concerned about the cabin being under the Lido. But all the SB and SA cabins are under the Lido or the pool on Rotterdam. The PCC said the area above was carpeted and she'd heard no complaints about noise.

Ok, great :). Should have known you would have checked. I don't think there is a noise issue above in your cabin area. The noise complaints I have heard of have been around 7018 and cabins close to the Neptune Lounge.

Ok, great :). Should have known you would have checked. I don't think there is a noise issue above in your cabin area. The noise complaints I have heard of have been around 7018 and cabins close to the Neptune Lounge.

I've never understood the noise complaints around the Neptune Lounge. It's not like it's a party spot or anything.

I've never understood the noise complaints around the Neptune Lounge. It's not like it's a party spot or anything.

According to what I understood to be the issue - it's not the Neptune Lounge itself but mostly the noise above. According to what was reported it was quite bothersome. Mame42 reported the issues and instead of cabin pics of 7018, there are pics of what caused the issue.

We were in one of the Neptunes with the overhang and really liked it (except for the bit longer walk to the Lounge). Never heard any noise from above and in fact I like to book cabins below the Lido dining area as it normally is quiet plus you have quick and easy access to the Lido deck activities and food/drink.

According to what I understood to be the issue - it's not the Neptune Lounge itself but mostly the noise above. According to what was reported it was quite bothersome. Mame42 reported the issues and instead of cabin pics of 7018, there are pics of what caused the issue.

Thanks for answering my question. From the deck plans, it would appear that the Neptune Lounge is directly under the Lido Bar and Pool area which would explain the noise. Fortunately, our room is very far removed from those areas.

Thanks for answering my question. From the deck plans, it would appear that the Neptune Lounge is directly under the Lido Bar and Pool area which would explain the noise. Fortunately, our room is very far removed from those areas.

You are most welcome :)

Our cabin is removed from that area too (under the Canaletto).

I prefer to walk a bit to the NL than to be across from it anyways. Just a personal preference ;)

You are most welcome :)

Our cabin is removed from that area too (under the Canaletto).

I prefer to walk a bit to the NL than to be across from it anyways. Just a personal preference ;)

That's interesting. We have heard many here on CC insist that the best rooms are those just across the hall from the Neptune since it is so easy to just "pop in". In fact, we initially booked a room just a couple of doors away from the Neptune doorway. When we found out the price difference, we decided we could walk.

That's interesting. We have heard many here on CC insist that the best rooms are those just across the hall from the Neptune since it is so easy to just "pop in". In fact, we initially booked a room just a couple of doors away from the Neptune doorway. When we found out the price difference, we decided we could walk.

Never do opposite the lounge. I've seen too many cabins with the doors open when we go and I don't want people peering into mine, seen too many people chatting outside the NL as they are leaving for some time, etc. No need to bump into people trying to get out of my cabin ;)

Cabins opposite the NL are no more than those a few doors down.

I know some people like that location - it's just not our preference and one I deliberately avoid. I can easily carry a couple of cups of coffee a few doors down ;).

Different strokes for different folks ;). As long as everyone is happy with their choices, that's the main thing.

Edited by kazu

In hundreds of days on HAL, several cabins have been across from or near the elevator lobby. The ONLY time i have heard elevator noise was one cruise where it was VERY rough and the elevators (or elevator weights, cables or elevator whatever) banged against the walls in the shaft for two nights. Now that was loud, but so were several other areas on the ship.