What weather conditions are "safe"?

So I've been reading this book from Tony Northrup which I love so far, on of his suggestions is to leave the backpack and lens cover at home and just walk around with the camera at your side and ready to pop a pic at a moments notice, of course using a hood as protection.

Since I'll be in the Caribbean, on a ship, and on a beach, I'm wondering exactly what type of conditions are tolerable to expose a consumer unit like the Nikon D7200 to? I've seen the camera referred to as "weather resistant". What exactly does that mean? If it's drizzling or there's light spray, is it safe to use and be exposed to the elements?

I'm also concerned about the event of a typical out-of-nowhere downpour, no bag equals no protection and I assume they aren't capable of handling that type of weather.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm also concerned about the event of a typical out-of-nowhere downpour, no bag equals no protection and I assume they aren't capable of handling that type of weather.

Any thoughts?

As the owner of "weather-resistant" cameras and a proponent of "carry at the ready",I have become a fan of Optech rain sleeves. They allow you to shoot in weather that would normally kill a "weather -resistant" unit. Though they do great in inclement weather, they aren't ideal for the sudden downpour. For that, I carry a gallon ziploc bag in my waist pack and just slip it over the camera until I can reach shelter and dress the camera in the rain sleeve if it looks like the rain will continue.

Note that "weather-resistant" may apply to the camera but not your lens. Both will survive a light drizzle and tucking it under your shirt when not in use will prevent build-up. Also, a hotshoe cover will protect the decidedly non-waterproof contacts right there on top of your camera.

Dave

Ditto for me...I sometimes do bring a bag of lenses along too, but have always been a fan of having the camera out and ready - either carrying in one hand or hanging from a strap. In general, most cameras can withstand basic environment - sun should be no problem, a little sand or dust is probably fine, even a light mist of rain or spray will likely not cause a problem even for a non-weather-resistant camera (though bad luck could mean your camera dies even from a single drop of water in just the wrong place - the odds are pretty low). With minor weather sealing to stop dust and water from getting through the most open or obvious body and lens gaps, you can usually get by even if caught in a light shower enough that you can try to shelter the camera under a shirt as you run for cover - even if it gets a little wet it will probably be OK...blot it dry when you get to cover just to not take any chances.

The Optech Rain Sleeves, and/or a nice thick gallon freezer bag, is a fine option to keep with you because they are easily foldable into a back pocket where you don't even know it's there - but if suddenly you're standing in an open park on a Caribbean island and see the thick grey waves of rain pouring down in the distance and approaching you too fast to make it to cover, you can whip out the cover and stick the camera & lens in there for protection while you try to get to shelter. I always have one of these in my pocket when I'm out shooting wildlife in the wetlands, where I'm often miles from any shelter and get caught by afternoon Florida thunderstorms and rainshowers quite regularly in the summer. When I know I'm caught, I stick my camera in the rain sleeve, get soaked, then when it's over, pull the camera out of the sleeve and continue on my way. Sometimes I even find something interesting to shoot during the downpour, and the rainsleeves allow you to do some shooting even while it rains as there are openings for a viewfinder and lens, plus your hand at the back.

Dust, wind, sand, salt water, & rain may be the elements you will deal with on your trip. I carried a Nikon D7100 in both the Galapagos Islands & the Caribbean. Found the 1 gallon freezer bags worked the best. I did carry a small backpack to keep a rain jacket, some cleaning materials, battery, & extra lens. It was very light & I seldom used it, except for changing the lens. I walked everywhere with a sling & my camera at my side. No issues as some of these adventures were for 3-5 hours. I took only 2 lenses... 17-70mm & 70-300mm

If you have a photo vest, they also work very well in tropical conditions, which is what I prefer.

Happy Travels, John

I've seen Canon 5D2 get somewhat annoyed when exposed to rain spray while under a hotel entryway overhang, but cleared up in ~18 hours. A 5DsR got rather annoyed when exposed to admittedly a fair amount of rain in Tracy Arm Fjord, but returned to normal in about 2 days.

Remember that most lenses (perhaps every zoom, and most primes aside from the top-of-the-line jumbo primes from 200mm on up) need a filter on the front to complete their weather sealing efforts.

Last Sept/Oct we sailed into Quebec City. Every day out of New York was sun shine and the ocean was like a mill pond.

Quebec City day and the wind was blowing 30 MPH with higher gusts and it was raining. Plus it was cold at about 50 degrees before the wind chill set in.

My Nikon lens was fitted with a filter and the shade. Then I added the rain bag.

I was careful not to point at the wind while taking a shot with the rain coming almost horizontally at me.

Took lots of photos, with problems with the heavy over cast, but the camera kept on ticking with out a problem.

I did see lots of folks try to hide their cameras under their coats and whip them out for a quick shot. How many got terminally wet, I do not know.

Bob

While there is moisture protection from a sudden rain fall... be careful putting your camera in a wet bag. The battery compartment door may lack the water resistant seals on some models.

Lens fungus is another factor to consider.

So I've been reading this book from Tony Northrup which I love so far, on of his suggestions is to leave the backpack and lens cover at home and just walk around with the camera at your side and ready to pop a pic at a moments notice, of course using a hood as protection.

Since I'll be in the Caribbean, on a ship, and on a beach, I'm wondering exactly what type of conditions are tolerable to expose a consumer unit like the Nikon D7200 to? I've seen the camera referred to as "weather resistant". What exactly does that mean? If it's drizzling or there's light spray, is it safe to use and be exposed to the elements?

Any thoughts?

Even a non-weather sealed camera can take a few drops of water, a bit of a mist. If you have a weather sealed camera and lens, it can be truly rugged, I've used my camera in a downpour. Biggest problem getting clear shots was all the water drops on the lens, interfering with focusing.

So here is my general advice, assuming a non-weather sealed camera:

-- Don't worry about a few drops of water on the outside of the camera.

-- If there are any bad weather conditions -- including high wind, or lots of moisture in the air, don't OPEN the camera. What I mean, don't change lenses in that environment. Don't open the battery compartment. etc.

-- And do BEWARE at the beach -- Sand is really dangerous for cameras. You absolutely do not want to risk sand getting into your camera. So definitely do NOT change lenses at the beach. Keep your camera out of the sand.. make sure your hands aren't covered with sand when you are using it. When not using it, keep the camera in a sealed sand-free bag. Careful that the bag doesn't get covered and filled with sand itself. And of course, SALT WATER can be just as dangerous as sand.

In other words, I wouldn't worry about getting caught in a drizzle and the camera getting a few drops. If your camera is sealed, I wouldn't even worry about a downpour. But I would be careful of the environment.

Lots of good advice but remember that sand is also an enemy. It manages to creep into all kinds of places and create havoc later. If you go to the beach be sure to take some time to go over things with a soft brush when you are back. Do not used compressed air, that just drives the sand deeper into thing. If condensation is a problem just bring a zip lock bag along and bag your camera before you leave and let the outside of the bag collect the condensation as the camera comes up to the outdoor temps.