Giving up the MDR long ago, BUT then ...

My wife and I took our first cruise together 14 years ago (on the Brilliance), and was the only cruise that we ever ate in the Main Dining room -- only because we thought that was what was expected.

Since then, we've been on 7 more cruises, both Royal (Voyager & Freedom Class) and Norwegian (the Dawn twice to Bermuda), and have stopped eating in the Main Dining Room ... we concentrate either on the Windjammer (or equivalent buffet on NCL) or the specialty restaurants, as we find those to be quieter, more subdued and the quality of the offerings suits us well. And being in the Windjammer as the sun sets, watching the wake of the ship ... well THAT works pretty well for us, too.

So here's our quandary -- well, maybe quandary isn't the right word. We have a reservation on the Harmony for late next year. We haven't been on that size ship ever, and to say that the "free (included)" restaurant offerings seem overwhelming.

For those that have travelled Oasis Class ships -- are the Main Dining Room offerings 1) "same old / same old" and we can ignore them again OR 2) enough of an improvement over what we had on the Brilliance that we have to try them again?

Thoughts anyone? Anyone? Anyone?

Thanks,

Michael

Edited by MikeNJ1109

My wife and I took our first cruise together 14 years ago (on the Brilliance), and was the only cruise that we ever ate in the Main Dining room -- only because we thought that was what was expected.

Since then, we've been on 7 more cruises, both Royal (Voyager & Freedom Class) and Norwegian (the Dawn twice to Bermuda), and have stopped eating in the Main Dining Room ... we concentrate either on the Windjammer (or equivalent buffet on NCL) or the specialty restaurants, as we find those to be quieter, more subdued and the quality of the offerings suits us well. And being in the Windjammer as the sun sets, watching the wake of the ship ... well THAT works pretty well for us, too.

So here's our quandary -- well, maybe quandary isn't the right word. We have a reservation on the Harmony for late next year. We haven't been on that size ship ever, and to say that the "free (included)" restaurant offerings seem overwhelming.

For those that have travelled Oasis Class ships -- are the Main Dining Room offerings 1) "same old / same old" and we can ignore them again OR 2) enough of an improvement over what we had on the Brilliance that we have to try them again?

Thanks,

Michael

Michael, the Oasis has just introduced new menus. These are expected to spread to the rest of the fleet. RC has not revealed its timetable for doing this. ;)

Edited by Merion_Mom

RCI's menus tend to stay the same for years on end....I would simply look at the menus when you board, and see if it's what you remember or not....

Thank you CB at Sea, what you posted is what we suspected might be the case ... though we were hoping with it being a newer, much larger ship that there might some variance.

Regards,

Michael

Michael, the Oasis has just introduced new menus. These are expected to spread to the rest of the fleet. RC has not revealed its timetable for doing this. ;)

Thank you, Merion Mom, that's great to hear!

We appreciate your courtesy,

Michael

Is there any chance that you've heard about a new menu for our September cruise on the Explorer? It seems that we will be shipmates:Dand thought that you might know. Thanks, Rainey

Thanks,

Michael

I don't know the date, but I did a Panama 10 day cruise on Brilliance about 14 - 15 years ago.

We did Oasis in July and the MDR is definitely "same old / same old" - it's not for everyone. The food was nothing spectacular and no different than I remember from Brilliance long ago. And we had the "new" menu on Oasis. If you didn't know it was "new" - it was really nothing different. I personally quite like MDR - love having the same waiter, etc. But if you didn't like it then, you won't find it any different now.

I haven't done My Time Dining, but my understanding is that you can always try a meal in MDR anyways.

Other than buffet and Solarium (on Harmony) - what other complimentary dinner options are there? I don't consider the cafe's a "dinner" option.

Edited by BNBR

We were on harmony a couple of weeks ago and although I'm not very familiar with the "old" MDR menus I am fairly sure harmony had the new updated menus - we ate twice in the MDR and were very happy with the food - they were also happy to rustle up a dish for a couple of our group when they didn't fancy anything on the menu.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Is there any chance that you've heard about a new menu for our September cruise on the Explorer? It seems that we will be shipmates:Dand thought that you might know. Thanks, Rainey

I've heard nothing about a schedule to roll out the new menu on other ships.

Edited by clarea

Thanks,

Michael

Food is subjective and not an easy answer period. My thought do what you THINK is best, if it works out great, if not, try try again.....K.O.

I have sailed on the Oasis 4 times in the past 8 years, and have eaten all my dinner meals in the MDR. I am not a person who eats out in upscale restaurants at home, so it doesn't have to be exotic or gourmet to please me. Next February my daughter and I will be sailing for two weeks back-to-back on Harmony. After reading reports from people who sometimes ate dinner in the Windjammer buffet, we might try that a few times. Also, Solarium Bistro on Harmony is now a complimentary sit down order-from-the-menu dinner (with buffet starters and desserts), so we'll give that a try when we will be at that end of the ship for a show in the main theater. Any cruise is a big expense on my limited SS income, so I see no need to pay more to eat in an upcharge restaurant.