Skipping the ocean crossing on a repositioning cruise

Maya_C

Having crossed the Atlantic once on a ship, I never want to do it again. I've found a repositioning cruise that goes to six ports in Europe before crossing the ocean. I'd like to visit those ports, and the price is low enough that i don't mind skipping the crossing. Do cruise lines allow you to leave early without penalty if you pay the cost of the entire cruise?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Maya

Having crossed the Atlantic once on a ship, I never want to do it again. I've found a repositioning cruise that goes to six ports in Europe before crossing the ocean. I'd like to visit those ports, and the price is low enough that i don't mind skipping the crossing. Do cruise lines allow you to leave early without penalty if you pay the cost of the entire cruise?

Maya

You'd have to contact the specific cruise line. There are some that do. But it must be pre-arranged.

If you ring from on shore at the last port and explain to the purser that you need to fly back for a family emergency, I'm pretty sure they won't send out a search party to drag you back. I don't know if any peculiar American laws like the Jones Act apply - I don't really see how they could.

As suggested it's best to ask this question of the cruise line. Of course if you show up at the gangway on the morning of the last port stop with your luggage in tow I can hardly see them trying to keep you onboard.

Even if you get permission to do this, there is always the chance (usually slight) that the last port stop could be cancelled at the last minute due to weather, strikes, or other reasons. Just want you to be aware of the possibility that you could end up on the crossing.

Edited by janetjulie
clarity

There will very likely be some amount of bureaucracy involved for whatever country is being entered. One thing to be a "day tourist" but very different to not leave with the ship. Especially if the last stop is in UK. The ship's crew might not be willing to jump through the extra hoops. In most ports they have to provide a list of everyone who left the ship and assure all have returned - otherwise extra paperwork.

Also, the reason repos are such a bargain is they want to have a ship full of people spending money. Captive audience on all those sea days. Bailing out after the "good stuff" sort of defeats that objective.

We love the TA repos and will certainly do more. It's the relaxing sea days that do it for us.

Even if you get permission to do this, there is always the chance (usually slight) that the last port stop will be cancelled due to weather, strikes, or other reasons. Just want you to be aware of the possibility that you could end up on the crossing.

Even a slight chance is more risk than I'm willing to take. Thanks for everyone's replies.--Maya

If you ring from on shore at the last port and explain to the purser that you need to fly back for a family emergency, I'm pretty sure they won't send out a search party to drag you back. I don't know if any peculiar American laws like the Jones Act apply - I don't really see how they could.

While the OP has stated their intent not to do this anymore, and not knowing the exact itinerary, I'll just toss this out for general knowledge. The EU does in fact have cabotage laws similar to the PVSA and Jones Act. It restricts coastwise traffic, cargo or passenger, to EU member flag states. In other words, a Bahamian flag cruise ship could not transport a passenger from Venice to Genoa without calling at a port outside of Italy, but a Dutch flag cruise ship could. As with the PVSA, I am referring to embarkation/disembarkation ports, not ports of call along the voyage.

No, they won't drag you back. However, if the cruise line is fined for violating whatever cabotage laws do apply, they will merely pass the fine along to you.

Depending on how well the voyage is selling, and the other factors mentioned, the cruise line might let you book a partial itinerary. You or your TA will have to spend time on the phone because this isn't something that normally shows up for the booking agents. At worst they say no but you'll never know unless you ask. Your location suggests that you are traveling under a US passport so this might be harder to arrange than if you carried an EU passport.

I would never suggest that anyone try this without an official arrangement with the cruise line. To just disembark with your luggage at the last port will cause all kinds of immigration problems since you are no longer "in transit" but actually landing in that country. The cruise line then has to change its manifest.. well, you get the idea.

Maya: Here's the plan :cool:: I'll meet you at that last European port, you hand over your ship card to me, and I'll take the crossing for you. Leave your luggage in your cabin -- what size are you? Oh, never mind, I'll work it out.

When we get back to North America, I'll ship your stuff back to you.

Do we have a deal? :D

Maya

You are listed as DC so you would obviously have to cross the Atlantic somehow, plane or ship, you prefer plane apparently? And I prefer ship. :)

Whichever way we get across, have you considered visiting those six ports by rail? Unless of course they are all islands.