Help! Flight home from Port Canaveral

Executive Vip Sedan Service in Merritt Island does do runs to Sanford from the port...turns out neighbor had to get them to pick up the grand daughter over July 4th. She said today she found them in a pinch after calling one of the hotels. If you call for estimate...they will need number of passengers and estimated luggage to price out the car needed.

I was afraid I would hear that :( unfortunatley its the only flight option to our city :( Im not sure what we should do, was really looking forward to not driving 14 hrs home...

Your choices are eat the airfare you paid and call it an expensive mistake, then rebook a sane flight home on a mainline carrier that actually has more than three flights a week; or

Miss your flight, and pay through the nose for walk-up fares on another carrier. This will probably also require renting another car to get to MCO.

All of this also hinges on even being able to get on any flight that day. There is no guarantee of that. Flights are booked very full these days, and if you are talking about a Sunday, the chances of getting in a plane that day as a standby are slim. If that happens you need to tack on hotel rooms, meals, and missed work. Not a chance I would be willing to take.

Edited by ducklite

UPDATE: So Allegiant customer service SUCKS! The only option they gave us was to pay 75 dollars per person each way to change out flight to another very small airport 45 min away from home. (this would add 600 dollars to cost, even though original flight was just over 500) or purposely miss flight home and book only fight home to smaller airport for an additional 300 (again the 75 per person just one way) this would mean we stay another night and rent car an additional night. We have option of renting car and driving 14 hr home that day, or booking flight home from Orlando international (600 per person, and 5.5hr flight) So after 2 hrs on hold to get that information, and then looking up prices to get home from surrounding areas, I called Royal Caribbean to get their opinion on this. They assured me that the boat could make sure we are off by 7:30, 7:45 at the latest. They gave us instructions on going to customer service the very first day to explain who we are and what is up with crazy flight schedule and having very very few options on getting back home and that they would then give us instructions on where to be at what time and how to handle luggage and paperwork to get off boat asap that morning. I went over how bad this could be for us if she is incorrect with this information and we would be out a lot of money if she is wrong and we have to go over to Orlando international and fly a larger airline, she says they deal with this often, and if boat is aware they will get us off in a timely manner...I really...really...hope she is correct...

And what happens if the ship is delayed getting into port due to a medical emergency requiring diversion to Miami (happened on my RCCL cruise) or bad weather (happened on one of my DCL cruises)?

Yup, three cruises out of Port Canaveral and we were delayed by between one and four hours on two of them. That's not odds I'd want to gamble on.

UPDATE: So Allegiant customer service SUCKS! The only option they gave us was to pay 75 dollars per person each way to change out flight to another very small airport 45 min away from home. (this would add 600 dollars to cost, even though original flight was just over 500) or purposely miss flight home and book only fight home to smaller airport for an additional 300 (again the 75 per person just one way) this would mean we stay another night and rent car an additional night. We have option of renting car and driving 14 hr home that day, or booking flight home from Orlando international (600 per person, and 5.5hr flight) So after 2 hrs on hold to get that information, and then looking up prices to get home from surrounding areas, I called Royal Caribbean to get their opinion on this. They assured me that the boat could make sure we are off by 7:30, 7:45 at the latest. They gave us instructions on going to customer service the very first day to explain who we are and what is up with crazy flight schedule and having very very few options on getting back home and that they would then give us instructions on where to be at what time and how to handle luggage and paperwork to get off boat asap that morning. I went over how bad this could be for us if she is incorrect with this information and we would be out a lot of money if she is wrong and we have to go over to Orlando international and fly a larger airline, she says they deal with this often, and if boat is aware they will get us off in a timely manner...I really...really...hope she is correct...

She is not, and should be fired with prejudice for giving out such horrid information.

No one can come even CLOSE to guaranteeing that you will be ok with that flight.

So many things can delay you.

Even with the complete cooperation of the ship's staff, you are likely to miss that flight. It was never "just" about what time you could get off the ship.

Good luck with that, I really, really hope it works for you, but. . .too many variables have to fall in line for this to work and the staff on the ship have no control over any of them.

To increase your odds a little, I definitely agree with posters who have said get a private driver instead of a rental car.

Sherri :)

i am so very sorry for you- i know this is stressing you out and we probably are not helping with all of our nay-saying but it is better to know ahead of time what you are facing then to think that everything will be ok and then you are blindsided when it isnt. Good luck, no matter what you decide to do. I hope it will work out well for you and not spoil your wonderful cruise!

Here is the only experience I have, according to google maps Sanford airport is 1hr 3 min from port and Universal Orlando is 57 min. We were in line to walk off early (different ship) We were among the first 50 people off the ship. We got to the shuttle took the 5 min ride, the shuttle left right as we got on no waiting at all. Got in our car and got on the road pretty quick. We had really almost waiting anywhere and we pulled into the parking at Universal at 9:41am. That is way too close to make a flight even if you were first off. Good Luck I hope you can work it out.

well you can try...but even if you are literally the first persons to step off the ship, you will have to be lucky to make it. So you should have in mind what you are going to do if you don't.

What the cruise rep told you shouldn't be taken as a guarantee. They cannot guarantee that you will make the flight. The only thing they can assure is that you can get off the ship early (and they won't be able to let you off until the ship has cleared customs, no matter what they told you)

Edited by makiramarlena

DO NOT TRUST THIS CS PERSON. Unless Royal booked your air and I assume they didn't the lady you spoke to told you what you wanted to hear and not what will happen.

It is a boat not a train and way to many things are up to chance. Weather and customs/immigration, rental car being open at 7:30 and having cars ready to go.

My guess is you have about a 5% chance of making your flight. It will only work if everything goes perfectly. Ship is on time/early. Customs and immigration are at work and ready to go. The ship helps to get you off literally first. No construction or accidents on the drive. Easy car rental turn in and then you face TSA at the airport. That's why Royal says do not book flights until after noon and they can not guarantee you will make your flight before noon.

Change your flights now and save yourself the stress and worry.

Edited by Jenjer

She is not, and should be fired with prejudice for giving out such horrid information.

No one can come even CLOSE to guaranteeing that you will be ok with that flight.

So many things can delay you.

Even with the complete cooperation of the ship's staff, you are likely to miss that flight. It was never "just" about what time you could get off the ship.

Assuring someone they will get them off the ship ASAP and guaranteeing making a flight are completely different. I believe they will get them off the ship ASAP as long as they are informed of the situation. I don't believe they will make the flight regardless of how fast they get off the ship.

Wait until you likely find out they also charged you for the phone call. We have given up on Allegiant. Flown them 3x and all 3 were crap.

1. Sanford - delayed 3 hours. Still made it. Flight home delayed 1 hour.

2. Sanford - left on-time. Flight home delayed 10 hours. Cancelled. Flew out the next day after a 1 hour delay.

3. Sanford - delayed 1.5 hours. Changed planes. Flight home delayed 4 hours.

Flight #3 was free because of flight #2. Told to call and book using special number. Next CC statement got a charge from Allegiant for using phone to book the free flight. I didn't give them a card. They charged the card I used to book Flight #2. Called CC and reversed unauthorized charge. Apparently never allowed to use that CC on Allegiant again from reading online.

Allegiant is a mess in the worst way. Will never use them again.

HOWEVER... the Sanford Airport is the tiniest little thing. Getting through security the half dozen or more (also a former Iceland Air user there) times has never taken me more than 5 minutes. Seriously. Five minutes.

I guess the 1 hour comment is likely at peak times, but I've never seen it. At least twice we've been the ONLY human beings in the entire queue.

Getting off the ship and getting there by your flight sounds INSANE. Flat insane. However, once you get to the airport (and I'd go UBER or a transportation company over rental car) it's nothing to get to the gate.

I don't think believing the CSR is a smart move but good luck and @ the very least I would have a plan B waiting in the wings as waiting till the last minute will cost you even more $$$

Hope you have a great cruise & it isn't stress filled worrying about getting back home ;)

Edited by TLC535

Like everyone is saying ... very slim chance of this working out! However, like someone on here mentioned -- Allegiant flights are frequently late! This could make all of the difference in the world. If you're a gambler you could try it.

RCCL customer service nor Guest Services can't assure you anything regarding as to when the ship will dock, when it will be cleared by US Customs and when disembarkation will begin. There are too many variables . Sadly this isn't RCCL's issue being that it recommends no flights be book prior 12:00 PM. Good Luck any way .

This past March 2016 , the last night of my cruise a passenger went overboard. The ship docked 4-5 hours late as it could not be released from the search until the US Coast Guard arrived on site to takeover the search. Needless to say there were 100's of passengers that missed flights and RCCL could not do anything about it.

Edited by xxoocruiser

I would be hesitant to try it but here is another option. You could purchase insurance from Allegiant for your return flight and have a hotel room and rental car booked as a backup plan in case you miss your flight. With the insurance, you have 365 days from the time you booked the flight to use your ticket. In theory, you could catch a flight the next day from Orlando Sanford or even drive to another airport that has a flight that will work better for you. When we left out of Port Canaveral, we hired Apollo's Chariots to shuttle us. That way we didn't have to worry about navigating the airport, cruise terminal, etc. Good luck and have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by WitchyWoman14

I would be hesitant to try it but here is another option. You could purchase insurance from Allegiant for your return flight and have a hotel room and rental car booked as a backup plan in case you miss your flight. With the insurance, you have 365 days from the time you booked the flight to use your ticket. In theory, you could catch a flight the next day from Orlando Sanford or even drive to another airport that has a flight that will work better for you. When we left out of Port Canaveral, we hired Apollo's Chariots to shuttle us. That way we didn't have to worry about navigating the airport, cruise terminal, etc. Good luck and have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums[/

I do like that idea! Wonder why allegiant didnt recommend that to us, sure they would just prefer to make a ton of money off of us ;) thanks for suggestions!

Wait until you likely find out they also charged you for the phone call. We have given up on Allegiant. Flown them 3x and all 3 were crap.

1. Sanford - delayed 3 hours. Still made it. Flight home delayed 1 hour.

2. Sanford - left on-time. Flight home delayed 10 hours. Cancelled. Flew out the next day after a 1 hour delay.

3. Sanford - delayed 1.5 hours. Changed planes. Flight home delayed 4 hours.

Flight #3 was free because of flight #2. Told to call and book using special number. Next CC statement got a charge from Allegiant for using phone to book the free flight. I didn't give them a card. They charged the card I used to book Flight #2. Called CC and reversed unauthorized charge. Apparently never allowed to use that CC on Allegiant again from reading online.

Allegiant is a mess in the worst way. Will never use them again.

HOWEVER... the Sanford Airport is the tiniest little thing. Getting through security the half dozen or more (also a former Iceland Air user there) times has never taken me more than 5 minutes. Seriously. Five minutes.

I guess the 1 hour comment is likely at peak times, but I've never seen it. At least twice we've been the ONLY human beings in the entire queue.

Getting off the ship and getting there by your flight sounds INSANE. Flat insane. However, once you get to the airport (and I'd go UBER or a transportation company over rental car) it's nothing to get to the gate.

I went over this with royal caribbean for like 20 min..Telling them if they are wrong I have no way home except for driving 14 hrs in rental or going to Orlando international and paying 600 pp, and she kept saying same thing, yes 745 they can most def make sure youre off boat. She was saying something about setting up with customs and the customer service manager to get us off asap as they dock..So Im still very nervous, was actually thinking of calling them again and hoping to get another operator and see if they tell me same thing. If I dont book the only other optional flight very soon, it will be full and we will not have any other options besides what I stated above.. Im seriously so stressed out about this stupid flight, but guess lesson has been learned for the future :(

RCCL customer service nor Guest Services can't assure you anything regarding as to when the ship will dock, when it will be cleared by US Customs and when disembarkation will begin. There are too many variables . Sadly this isn't RCCL's issue being that it recommends no flights be book prior 12:00 PM. Good Luck any way .

This past March 2016 , the last night of my cruise a passenger went overboard. The ship docked 4-5 hours late as it could not be released from the search until the US Coast Guard arrived on site to takeover the search. Needless to say there were 100's of passengers that missed flights and RCCL could not do anything about it.

I looked everywhere on royals page to find info about flights, and couldnt find it! Think we are doing the suggested buying 2nd flight and insuring so we can use for up to a yr later!

I looked everywhere on royals page to find info about flights, and couldnt find it! Think we are doing the suggested buying 2nd flight and insuring so we can use for up to a yr later!

If you are talking about what witchypoo said, I read it as she thinks you can buy insurance for the flights you already have. I am not sure you will be able to do that as I thought you have to buy insurance at the point you buy the flight. Any third party insurance you buy now will likely not cover a missed flight because you booked it too early. Make sure you read everything before you buy since insurances can be very specific with their list of covered reasons.

If you want to make this flight, you really need to give up on the idea that you can rent a car and book private transportation, whether it be a limo or a private shuttle. You should also carry off you luggage and make sure you are in contact with your transportation prior to leaving the ship. If you are staying in a suite, the concierge could help you get off the ship close to first. If you are not in a suite, you need to be in line as early as you can so you can hit the road quickly.

Edit to add:

Here is a link to the flight tool that tells you what the recommended time is for flights.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=324&faqSubjectName=Air+Travel&faqId=2724

Edited by reallyitsmema

I went over this with royal caribbean for like 20 min..Telling them if they are wrong I have no way home except for driving 14 hrs in rental or going to Orlando international and paying 600 pp, and she kept saying same thing, yes 745 they can most def make sure youre off boat. She was saying something about setting up with customs and the customer service manager to get us off asap as they dock..So Im still very nervous, was actually thinking of calling them again and hoping to get another operator and see if they tell me same thing. If I dont book the only other optional flight very soon, it will be full and we will not have any other options besides what I stated above.. Im seriously so stressed out about this stupid flight, but guess lesson has been learned for the future :(

There is always a way home. You came to cc for an answer and no one can answer, only give you speculation, because your cruise/flight has not happened.

We always book the flights we want, if it doesn't work then we just get on another flight or spend the night and go the next day.

There is always a way home. You came to cc for an answer and no one can answer, only give you speculation, because your cruise/flight has not happened.

We always book the flights we want, if it doesn't work then we just get on another flight or spend the night and go the next day.

That only works if you are flying one of the mainstream airlines. The OP is flying Allegiant which only flies to their home airport on Thursdays and Sundays. To get on another flight, they are going to have to book on another airline, likely from another airport, for a lot more money.

That only works if you are flying one of the mainstream airlines. The OP is flying Allegiant which only flies to their home airport on Thursdays and Sundays. To get on another flight, they are going to have to book on another airline, likely from another airport, for a lot more money.

And what's wrong with that. If people are going to travel they should understand these things and be prepared to do what they have to do. Sooner or later if you travel enough you will understand. Using a car service to get to a city because your flight is not running that day, who would have thought of that. You do what you have to do if it meets your needs, but you know that.

Yes, it involves money, if you are going to travel, then you have to be prepared and able to afford to take care of the hiccups travel throws at you

Edited by setsail