Princess Star disembark in Whittier

cruisebie

Next month I am taking a NB cruise, disembarking in Whittier. Can I do self disembark in Whittier? I will be picking up a rental car at the Anchorage airport and I was wondering if it was possible to do self disembark & then take the next transfer shuttle to the airport. Is this feasible or are you assigned a time for the shuttle?

Any differences to be aware in the disembark procedures in Whittier? I have cruised the SB route from Whittier, so knowing how small the town is I thought things might be different there.

If you book a Princess transfer, you'll be assigned a specific time to disembark. Transfers are timed for the tunnel which is one-way and then switches to the other direction. You might as well pick up your luggage at the pier as it won't save you any time.

Whittier is a different type of port in a good way! If you book transfers, you will be assigned a time, and you will need to place your luggage outside for collection the night before. The great thing is that your luggage will be trucked into Anchorage during the night, so you won't have to collect it when you disembark. You will just walk straight through the terminal and onto your transfer bus. Your luggage will meet you at the airport. Easy as pie!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Next month I am taking a NB cruise, disembarking in Whittier. Can I do self disembark in Whittier? I will be picking up a rental car at the Anchorage airport and I was wondering if it was possible to do self disembark & then take the next transfer shuttle to the airport. Is this feasible or are you assigned a time for the shuttle?

Any differences to be aware in the disembark procedures in Whittier? I have cruised the SB route from Whittier, so knowing how small the town is I thought things might be different there.

I'm from Maryville/Knoxville area, just wanted to say Hello and I'll be on the Star next May, let us know what you think when you return :)

I'm from Maryville/Knoxville area, just wanted to say Hello and I'll be on the Star next May, let us know what you think when you return :)

Hello, neighbor! I'm from Lenoir City, so I'm right next door, so to speak. It's a small world, even on the World Wide Web. [emoji3] I'll be sure to post when I get back. It just seems like there's not much info on the Star to be found.

Pam & Cruisequeen4ever-thanks for the info. Sounds like an easy process, so I might as well relax and go with the flow. I like the idea of the luggage being sent ahead to the airport. That's one less time I have to shlep it around.

Edited by cruisebie

• 4 months later...

Well, I was researching what time I could get off the ship to get to Anchorage and on my way north. Then, I realized yal neighborS! I'm from Crossville...just an hour west on I40! How about you both let me know how smooth it goes! I will be on the Princess Star in August of next year. I was hoping to get off the ship early and make it to Denali before sunset but I'm not so sure that will happen!

Well, I was researching what time I could get off the ship to get to Anchorage and on my way north. Then, I realized yal neighborS! I'm from Crossville...just an hour west on I40! How about you both let me know how smooth it goes! I will be on the Princess Star in August of next year. I was hoping to get off the ship early and make it to Denali before sunset but I'm not so sure that will happen!

The OP already sailed in Sept 2016.

Hello, neighbor! I'm from Lenoir City, so I'm right next door, so to speak. It's a small world, even on the World Wide Web. [emoji3] I'll be sure to post when I get back. It just seems like there's not much info on the Star to be found.

Pam & Cruisequeen4ever-thanks for the info. Sounds like an easy process, so I might as well relax and go with the flow. I like the idea of the luggage being sent ahead to the airport. That's one less time I have to shlep it around.

How did you like the Star and Alaska? From Maryville TN :)

Hi RGilmer! I know Crossville well. I used to love coming to the outlet mall there--always found some good buys in the stores there.

I never did find out about self debarkation there since we opted to take a Princess shuttle the the Anchorage airport where we rented a car. I have to say that was the best cruise ship debarkation I have ever experienced. Very organized and and ran like clock work. I guess it has to be since they have to time the shuttle departures to the tunnel schedule.

I have to say that it would be difficult to make it to Denali by sunset and that would also leave you no time to take in the beauty that is all around you. How are you planning to get to Denali? Are you renting a car?

How did you like the Star and Alaska? From Maryville TN :)

Hi Hollon....I can't imagine a better way to see Alaska. The Star was a wonderful ship and Captain Tuvo was great about letting the passengers know when there was something special to see. I loved having the International Cafe to grab a coffee or a quick bite to eat. The promenade was a great place to sit and take in the passing scenery, especially on glacier viewing day.

Alaska is stunning. Everywhere you look there is something beautiful and interesting to see. Enjoyed every second of the trip!