First timer with some questions

amydresh

Just booked our families' very first cruise for Jan, 7 days out of NOLA. We are doing the Caribbean (Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel). I have been reading a lot on here but I'm still confused about some things. There would be 5 of us, my husband, daughter 16, and two boys 13 and turning 11 while on the cruise.

For MDR do we have to dress nicely every night or just on formal night? Do my daughter and I need to wear dresses/skirts every night or are capris ok? Is my husband able to wear khaki cargo shorts with a polo shirt? Would plaid or cargo shorts with a polo shirt be okay for my boys? On formal night, are plaid shorts and a polo shirt ok for the boys or do they also need to wear khaki pants with a nice shirt? What should my husband plan on wearing for formal night? We are not real formal people and don't have anything by way of formal clothes in our wardrobes. I don't want to spend a fortune on new clothes for this cruise if we can get away with what we have.

For excursions, we have already booked through Cayman Eco Adventures for the stingray, snorkeling, starfish tour. I was planning to just get some form of transportation in Montego Bay to go to a beach, but then Cozumel I was confused. We would like to do the dolphin encounter, my kids would love that. I was debating whether or not my husband and I should pay to do it too or just pay the small fee for a companion. Would we have good enough views of our kids to see them interacting with the dolphins that way? I don't want to miss out on seeing their expressions. I have also read how expensive the pics are. I called Dolphinarius and talked to someone there. I was told that if we book our excursion directly with them, that the pictures would be cheaper than if we booked through the cruise line. I was quoted $49 for one package or $189 for family if I book through them and it would be Three HUNDRED something for the family package if I booked through the cruise line. Does anyone know if this is true?

FTTF is already sold out for our cruise. What are the chances I can still get it before our cruise? If we don't end up getting it, is it a big deal not to have it? Will our wait times for everything be significantly longer than those with it?

Thank you!

Shorts for dinner isn't really appropriate on any night. Plan on lightweight slacks and collared shirts for the boys/husband and slacks and a nice top for the girls, or nice sundresses are also a good idea. On the other nights, Capri pants are just fine.

Most people do independent excursions rather than go through the ship tours. But, make absolutely sure you're back on the ship on time. If you're even a few minutes late, the ship will not wait.

Welcome to Cruise Critic and to cruising!

The official "policy" for MDR evening dress is no shorts. If the guys have church clothes, they will be good to go. Even on cruise elegant night, some folks do not dress up, some will wear tuxedos! It is truly getting more casual. Others will give more information I a, sure! [emoji6]

We have done a few excursions over the years and I really cannot comment on the Eco Adventures. But, I would like to say Montego Bay is a place that you need to have a good grasp on what you are doing and who you are doing it with. Many folks use MoBay as a "stay on the ship" day. Do some reading on the ports of call threads about it and see what others are saying. We had an experience where a taxi driver tried to rip us off there so I may have a bit of a bad taste of MoBay. But, definitely also check TripAdvisor and see if the Dolphinarius outfit has any reviews.

On the FTTF, yes, you may have to wait longer to board the ship in NOLA without it. But, if you, arrive around 12:00, you may only have a short wait to board. Cayman is a tender port, so having FTTF would get you priority tender tickets. Definitely would speed your debarkation time! Getting back on the ship is always first come, first served. Debarkation in NOLA is a toss up. You can self assist and be among the first off the ship so not too bad as far as wait times. You may also not care if you have to wait a while as some folks will,have a leisurely breakfast and let the thundering hordes debark and then make,their exit. Some folks really believe in having FTTF, others don't.

Hope you have fun planning your cruise! Don't feel ashamed of you start planning your next cruise before you get off the ship in NOLA! You're pretty normal if you do! [emoji12]

Welcome to Cruise Critic and to cruising!

The official "policy" for MDR evening dress is no shorts. If the guys have church clothes, they will be good to go. Even on cruise elegant night, some folks do not dress up, some will wear tuxedos! It is truly getting more casual. Others will give more information I a, sure! [emoji6]

We have done a few excursions over the years and I really cannot comment on the Eco Adventures. But, I would like to say Montego Bay is a place that you need to have a good grasp on what you are doing and who you are doing it with. Many folks use MoBay as a "stay on the ship" day. Do some reading on the ports of call threads about it and see what others are saying. We had an experience where a taxi driver tried to rip us off there so I may have a bit of a bad taste of MoBay. But, definitely also check TripAdvisor and see if the Dolphinarius outfit has any reviews.

On the FTTF, yes, you may have to wait longer to board the ship in NOLA without it. But, if you, arrive around 12:00, you may only have a short wait to board. Cayman is a tender port, so having FTTF would get you priority tender tickets. Definitely would speed your debarkation time! Getting back on the ship is always first come, first served. Debarkation in NOLA is a toss up. You can self assist and be among the first off the ship so not too bad as far as wait times. You may also not care if you have to wait a while as some folks will,have a leisurely breakfast and let the thundering hordes debark and then make,their exit. Some folks really believe in having FTTF, others don't.

Hope you have fun planning your cruise! Don't feel ashamed of you start planning your next cruise before you get off the ship in NOLA! You're pretty normal if you do! [emoji12]

Would it be hard to do self assist with 2 "young" boys? They did haul their own carry on luggage through Milwaukee, Denver, and San Diego airports when they were only 4 and 6... This time their luggage would obviously be bigger but it would have swivel wheels.

At Cayman we are due to arrive at port at 7 am and we are meeting our tour guides at 9:00, I assume that is plenty of time to get off?

Shorts for dinner isn't really appropriate on any night. Plan on lightweight slacks and collared shirts for the boys/husband and slacks and a nice top for the girls, or nice sundresses are also a good idea. On the other nights, Capri pants are just fine.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1093/~/what-to-wear---evenings

Carnival does not have a "no shorts in the MDR" policy, in fact, the dress code specifically mentions "dress" short as being appropriate on cruise casual evenings.

I have been on the same route your taking with two boys and this is what I remember. NOLA is a great place to see. If you get their and board the ship early get off and take the trolly to the french quarter and walk back to the ship. Take about 2 to 3 hours to see the artists. I had my two sons drawn on canvas when they were about 6 and 10 by an artist.

Took about 30 minutes for each boy to sit. Lots of artist in the french quarter. This will be day time so it is safe. You may find the children will have a great time if they find just one other person they can hang with. The programs on the ship help the kids find friends. You may find the kids will want to eat with their friend anywhere other than the main dining room. You and your husband may find yourself dining without them. I like a large table of 8 or more when asking for a table. In Jamaica you will want to climb the the waterfalls. In Grand Caymen might shop a little after seeing the sting rays. Cozumel , most people go to Shankanab beach. About 10 minute taxi from the ship. Its a public beach but it does have an admission. A thought, I took my son on a four wheel adventure and had a great time. Your husband might enjoy some time with the boys on an outdoor adventure. Pack half as many clothes and take twice as much money ( ha, ha) and you will have a great time. You realize your getting 5 people hooked on cruising. My 22 cruise is coming up Sept 12. Have fun and pay special attention to Mr #1.

Cayman is a tender port, so you will have to line up to take a small boat to shore. Plan on an early morning and be ready to get off the ship because there will be line ups as everyone tries to get ashore.

And, to add to this. The ship will post the time that the last tender back to the ship will depart the pier. As an example: If 4:00 PM is posted, then that last tender will depart at 4:00. The crew will not wait "a few minutes" to see if anyone else is coming.

I suggest that you do not plan on taking the last tender. You do not want to get caught with a whoops and miss it.

Also, each port will have a different return by time posted at the gang way as you depart the ship. Make sure you make note and make sure everyone in your party knows what that time is. Me, I take a second and take a photo of the return by sign so later If I am not sure, I can look at the photo.

And, since this is your first cruise you should add a grace period of 30 min to 1 hour to that posted time to reduce any stress of worrying about missing the ship.

Bob

Edited by 4x4bob

And, to add to this. The ship will post the time that the last tender back to the ship will depart the pier. As an example: If 4:00 PM is posted, then that last tender will depart at 4:00. The crew will not wait "a few minutes" to see if anyone else is coming.

I suggest that you do not plan on taking the last tender. You do not want to get caught with a whoops and miss it.

Also, each port will have a different return by time posted at the gang way as you depart the ship. Make sure you make note and make sure everyone in your party knows what that time is. Me, I take a second and take a photo of the return by sign so later If I am not sure, I can look at the photo.

And, since this is your first cruise you should add a grace period of 30 min to 1 hour to that posted time to reduce any stress of worrying about missing the ship.

Bob

That is a great idea, thank you!

Glad to see that the boys can wear nice shorts if they dine in the MDR.

I always take the ship's newsletter for that day with me off the ship. The time to be back on board is always listed...and I wouldn't want to trust my camera -- what if the battery drains or the camera itself gets broken?

In addition the daily newsletter will list the name and contact info for the port agent. Hopefully you'll never need that info but if you have a problem (miss the ship, inappropriate behavior of a shore excursion operator, etc.) it's very valuable.

Just like the commercial says, don't leave the ship without it.