First time carnival questions

Syndisails

Hi,

I am going on my second cruise in November 2016 on the Conquest. We've only cruised once before (on a different cruiseline) and I've been unable to find updated information on a couple of things...

We are in an OV room.

1. Can we hook up an Xbox to the tvs?

2. HAL had dvd rentals to pick up at the front desk for in room DVD players. Does the Conquest offer this?

On our other cruise the room had a DVD player. We are not into the "party" scene, and like evenings in our room with kids so please don't judge, just helpful info please!

Welcome to Cruise Critic, Syndisails!

We have been on Conquest several times and I really do not believe the room TVs are equipped with DVD players. I cannot say for sure and hopefully someone who has better knowledge will provide a definitive answer for you.

Conquest is a great ship, a little worn but clean, and has a great crew. You should have a good time on her!

Hi,

I am going on my second cruise in November 2016 on the Conquest. We've only cruised once before (on a different cruiseline) and I've been unable to find updated information on a couple of things...

We are in an OV room.

2. HAL had dvd rentals to pick up at the front desk for in room DVD players. Does the Conquest offer this?

On our other cruise the room had a DVD player. We are not into the "party" scene, and like evenings in our room with kids so please don't judge, just helpful info please!

There are ship specific boards here and you may find more info there.

I don't remember any dvd players. I have been on that ship too.

As far as the x-box, no internet, but for just gaming (local) you may be able to jury rig something, but they will tag you if you screw it up.

I remember when we did this at a hotel and took out the entire floor from tv service, so I'd say bring cards - lol!

You'll have fun regardless.

Welcome to the dark side ;)

It seems that while there are HDMI ports on the flat screen TV in your cabin, there is no way to switch the "input" to that port; evidently people have tried bringing universal remotes from home to attempt to change the input with no success. I would pretty much count on not being able to hook up a dvd player to the TV.

Perhaps a laptop from home could serve as your dvd player?

I, too, enjoy hanging out in the cabin in the evenings, watching movies with my family, so no judging here! It's your vacation, you should be able to enjoy it the way you want to! There are also PPV movies and a free movie channel available. Our family's running joke is that every time (this is no exaggeration--it has been all 4 times we've cruised as a family) we cruise, we'll get to watch Taken 2 on the movie channel. Never Taken (1), just Taken 2. As soon as someone says, "I've got a particular set of skills...." everyone busts out laughing.

Enjoy your trip, and I hope you find Carnival to be a good fit for you and your family!

Uprivermama is exactly right. You can cable your DVD player to the TV, but there is No Way to switch the input, so I'd have to agree that you're out of luck trying that. I concur that the best bet is probably to just bring along a laptop or tablet that you can play the DVD on, or just watch the free movies that are offered on the TV in the afternoon/evening.

I had to laugh when Uprivermama was talking about the movie that's always being played, when she's aboard. For me it's PARENT TRAP. It's ALWAYS being shown aboard ship. Not a bad movie, but I'm gettin' tired of it. :mad:

"SKY"

From the Carnival website:

Connecting Personal Devices to the Stateroom Television

Guests are not permitted to connect Digital Cameras/Camcorders, DVDs/VCRs, USB sticks, iPods, Nintendo/X-Box Play units with the television in the staterooms; all connection ports are disabled.

In Suite accommodations only, guests are able to connect their own DVD/video source through the television using an audio/video input plate; guests must supply their own RCA connection cables.

It looks like your ship has the seaside theater so they will show movies on the Lido deck in the evenings and they do serve popcorn.

My husband and I usually bring a laptop with some movies loaded onto a thumb drive or portable device and watch that when we need some quiet time. There are free movies on the tv as well.

Hi,

We are in an OV room.

No judgement here! One thing I loved about HAL was the DVD library and players in the cabin!

But sorry no to that on CCL. :(

No judging here either. On our last HAL cruise we ended up watching movies in our cabin more that we ever watch TV at home. Movies under the stars might be fun for your kids. Have fun, enjoy your cruise.

My husband is one of those people that NEVER sits still. So when we cruise, I let him have the remote and he watches TV for hours! It's nice to see him relax!

Thank you all for your responses! We can definitely make the portable DVD Player or laptop work. Happy sailing!

When our son was younger, we would buy one new DVD to watch on the cruise on my laptop. We also sailed another line that had a wide variety of movies that were free, so we usually spent at least one night watching movies when we were too pooped to hang. Our first Carnival cruise is 27NOV so we are looking forward to the Dive In movies.