Cartagena Colombia Dangers?

MauiGOOT

I don't know anything about Cartagena, but I notice that both Turkey and Mexico are in the list. I would not hesitate to go to Istanbul or Kusdasi in Turkey, nor would I hesitate to go to Costa Maya, Cozumel, Cancun, or any of the other Mexican ports, so I suggest giving the advice the value that you feel it is due, which to me, means that it is worthless.

Agreed. I went to Cartagena as a 17-year-old on a Semester at Sea. Took a public bus to the Old City, bought some things in the market, and had no problems other than people on the bus kept touching my blond hair. Others on the ship did get into trouble, though. The tour to Boca Chica they wanted was full so they hired a fisherman and his little boat to take them for $15 each. When they got back, the guy said it was $50 and demanded more money, and got a cop who started hauling them all off to jail. They managed to come up with about $40, which was all the cash they had on them, to bribe the cop. They watched him divide it with the fisherman. You do have to b careful. We are going on a PC cruise in November and have scheduled a tour with a well-known provider there and expect no problems. On the other hand, I go to Mexico (Baja) all the time and have no issues. It's very friendly and I plan to get a house there.

Edited by s2kreno

We were in Cartegena on our Panama Canal transit cruise. We booked a 2.5 hour Segway tour of the old town, independently of the ship and a couple we made friends with on the ship joined us.

We had a blast, wonderful way to see the old town, always felt totally safe.

Guy from the Segway company picked us up just outside the port gates and dropped us off there at the end.

We booked an independent tour with Marelvy Pena last March. I think there were about 10 or 12 of us. She was amazing, showing us the old town, and a quick drive through the newer areas. We asked where we could buy good coffee to take home and she took us to her favourite place. It was my favourite day of the whole Panama Canal cruise (and there were some pretty good days on that cruise :) ).

HI all!

We were there in Feb 2016 on the Thomson Dream. I was looking forward to seeing Cartagena as HAL skipped it in 2003 because it was unsafe. That would probably be your best guide, if the cruiseline goes there.

We took a ship's tour & really enjoyed the sights (walls,fort, downtown). We liked it so much we were toying with the idea of going back for a week next year but chose Panama instead as it has more all inclusives.

Don't miss the little zoo in the park right there at the port, an oasis from the heat.

Have a great time!

~ Jo ~ :)

Edited by retiring soon
added something

Thanks everyone... I figured it might be 'hogwash', but you want to realize what you may be up against. You don't want to expose yourself unnecessarily if you are in a known area for danger. Goodness... Olympians robbed at gunpoint in Rio? I know, opportunistic and it can happen anywhere. I was worried that personal safety might be a real challenge in Colombia so I went to the best source.... fellow Cruise Critics who have had recent experiences! Thanks for setting the record straight and for allaying my fears! ;)

Would you be this apprehensive going to Chicago? Lot more crime and murder. If you worry this much you will miss out on a lot in life. Where ever you go, just you your God given common sense. Some of my most fun and enrichment has been in 'dangerous' or 'seedy' places. Wonderful times at the bar down the dark alley. You would not want to miss some good cooking in Harlem. Go to the market, the most you have to say is no. Just like when you are in your home town use some comment sense.

I was there a few years ago, took a ship tour, felt safe even when I wandered off to see some other places while rest of tour was in the obligatory Diamond store. Lots of very young soldiers with very big machine guns as an important dignitary was visiting in the afternoon.

A couple did their own thing and walked from ship into town. Police pulled them up, told them to put their big camera in their bag and then showed them the quickest, safest way into town.

A very beautiful historic place, loved the fort with the thick walls. Made me think I could have been a pirate, maybe not.