Drink Package with Lounge Access -- Good Deal or Not?

ggo85

On recent 14-day cruise, I had access to DL and CL. I struggled with whether to purchase a beverage package and posted a thread asking for advice. I received many helpful comments and promised to post my thoughts after the cruise. So, here goes.

First, a bit about me. I always purchase the soda package. I’m a wine drinker with the occasional beer – not a fan of hard liquor and don’t need/like specialty coffees or bottled water. So I went with the Special Package, entitling me to wine ($8 per glass max) and beer as well as soda. No water, coffee, OJ, or mixed drinks. I got a 20% discount on the package so total additional cost over the soda package was $30/day.

So, was it worth it for me? Financially, no. Would I do it again? With the discount, maybe and without it, no way.

Please understand, the below applies to me only – others may have different preferences, drinking habits, etc.

I found that, during the day, I craved soda and water more than beer. So I drank at most one beer per day. B/c I had CL and DL privileges, alcohol from 5-8:30 was free whether I was in the lounge or in a bar. The wine is the same (more or less) in the lounges and bars – in other words, you don’t get “better” wine in the lounges or with your Diamond free drinks. The Ultimate and Premium packages allow for better wines but I wasn’t willing to pay a lot more per day for marginally better wines.

What did I like about the package? I liked being able to have wine at dinner w/o having to get a glass ahead of time and carry it in. I liked being able to have a second glass w/o having to pay a la carte or go outside to a bar to get a glass. I liked not feeling as if I needed to consume all I wanted to drink for the night between 5 and 8:30 or pay a la carte. I could order a drink at 4:30 or at 8:45. Having that freedom was nice.

What I didn’t like? I drank more than I would have w/o the package. It wasn’t that I was trying to “break even.” Rather, when I considered whether or not to have a beer in the afternoon, I didn’t ask, “Do I really want to spend $7.” Rather, I said, “I’ve already paid for it, so why not?” If I’d had to pay as I went, I would have had less.

Had I consumed the same amount a la carte, I would have spent about $100-$150 less than I paid for the package in part b/c I drank less during the day than I thought. And that was with the 20% discount -- without it, probably $200+ more cost for the package. Even with the dinner wines, I was at about $23/day max. Had I been “careful” about drinking mostly when it was free, bringing a glass into dinner, etc. I would have saved a LOT of money over the package buying a la carte.

The above said, there is a certain “comfort” in paying up front and not seeing charge after charge on your bill for alcohol. And in not having to tip each time and feel the need to add an extra tip. But for me – with the lounge access, the package wasn’t a good deal financially and, if I’d paid the undiscounted amount, it would have been a really bad deal.

Thanks for your perspective of drinks packages with lounge access. I wouldn't like to feel obliged to have extra drinks to achieve value out of the package. I think we will just continue to pay as we go outside of D/CL cocktail hours.

This will be our first cruise with the Ultimate Drink Package and I share your perspective that we will definitely drink more alcohol with the drinks included than any previous cruise we have been on. Personally, I do not envision enjoying this cruise any more than previous sailings because of having access to a drink at almost any time without concern to paying for it at that moment. I typically enjoy a drink or two on deck during the afternoon, one at dinner and perhaps a final one while watching the entertainment. On port days, the number of alcohol drinks might be two. Had the ultimate package not been included as part of the Star Class benefits, I would never consider it. Having shared that, I will admit I am interested in the specialty coffee drinks as I am an avid coffee lover. We all have our vices!

We have cruised in the past with CL and DL access, and still got the package. This was on FOS during 2 weeks with a high number of D+ and Pinnacle guests. The lounges were very crowded, with a line forming most days late afternoon. For us it would probably depend on the ship and time of year. When I sailed on Brilliance in January, and Liberty in March, I didn't get a package.

We'll be on the Harmony TA, and have already purchased the package, but hope to still be able to enjoy the suite lounge(s).

package is not for everyone, but we also had access to diamond and suite/concierge lounge and still got premium package, I do not like the red wine supplied in the lounges and the limited hours. Next cruise will be 4th we had the lounges and also the drink package

We get a package for DW because she's completely hangover-proof and wants to try a little of everything. It also means no anticipation and wondering about what today's actions are going to do to that paper they slip under the door the last night.

I do not get a package because sparkling wine is my drink of choice, I make the most of the DL, CL and Diamond drinks.

Been the pattern for a few trips, and seems to work for us.

During the majority of the day, we prefer to be "out and about" on the ship. Don't want to confine ourselves to one space in order to have a drink!

... and why would you, especially since D and above can get drinks at most bars around the ship during the cocktail hours?

I'm not normally a big drinker, but somehow the package seems like it would be fun to try a bunch of different things. In the end, however, I know that I would never spend even half of that a-la-carte, even if I budgeted that much money for myself.