Let's talk nurseries

williamsk

We brought home a double surprise from our last cruise and now have one year old twins and a 3 yo in the process of potty training. Since we have been out of the cruising loop for a bit, I would like to know the latest on nurseries. Which ships have them? Do they have reasonable hours? Cost? We prefer nurseries over in cabin babysitting just because we are more comfortable leaving them in a more public place. And yes I get it is easier not to go, but with twins I have learned that you just have to get out there or you will be stuck inside the house all of the time. We will probably pay for my Mom to come with us, but although she helps we do not expect her to be 'on duty' if that makes sense.

All Disney ships have nurseries and let you sign up ahead of time. Newer or refurbished rc ships have nurseries that you can sign up on the first night for a limited number of hours and then all hours are released after everyone gets a chance to sign up. The Norwegian escape also has a nursery. Cunard and carnivals kids clubs start at the age of 2, and Cunard has a night nursery on a first come, first serve basis for sleeping babies. If you will be paying for someone else to come, please consider that princess will let children under 3 in the kid zone if parents or guardians supervise them. Another family brought their nanny, so this worked out great for them. If there are very few kids aboard, they will have lots of time to help the under 3 play.

All Disney ships have nurseries and let you sign up ahead of time. Newer or refurbished rc ships have nurseries that you can sign up on the first night for a limited number of hours and then all hours are released after everyone gets a chance to sign up. The Norwegian escape also has a nursery. Cunard and carnivals kids clubs start at the age of 2, and Cunard has a night nursery on a first come, first serve basis for sleeping babies. If you will be paying for someone else to come, please consider that princess will let children under 3 in the kid zone if parents or guardians supervise them. Another family brought their nanny, so this worked out great for them. If there are very few kids aboard, they will have lots of time to help the under 3 play.

Royal Caribbean has not added nurseries to all the ships that they have refurbished. I know they did not add a nursery to Explorer and Jewel. Adventure is due to be rejuvenated later in the year and it is not currently scheduled to get a nursery. There could be others that still don't have one, those are the ones I am certain do not.

To the OP, be very careful if you decide to cruise a Royal Caribbean ship specifically for a nursery. Some marketing genius thought it made sense to have a Royal Babies and Tots Nursery and also a Royal Babies and Tots Program. They are not the same thing, unless it specifically says Nursery, there isn't one. The Royal Babies and Tots Program is just a playgroup type setting where parents can bring their kids to play with other kids and age appropriate toys for an hour or so. Parents stay for this program. There have been many posts on the Royal Caribbean board from families who thought the ship they booked had a nursery and it didn't. Just be careful with the specific wording and then look at the deckplans to verify that you can see a dedicated nursery space.

Royal Caribbean has not added nurseries to all the ships that they have refurbished. I know they did not add a nursery to Explorer and Jewel. Adventure is due to be rejuvenated later in the year and it is not currently scheduled to get a nursery. There could be others that still don't have one, those are the ones I am certain do not.

To the OP, be very careful if you decide to cruise a Royal Caribbean ship specifically for a nursery. Some marketing genius thought it made sense to have a Royal Babies and Tots Nursery and also a Royal Babies and Tots Program. They are not the same thing, unless it specifically says Nursery, there isn't one. The Royal Babies and Tots Program is just a playgroup type setting where parents can bring their kids to play with other kids and age appropriate toys for an hour or so. Parents stay for this program. There have been many posts on the Royal Caribbean board from families who thought the ship they booked had a nursery and it didn't. Just be careful with the specific wording and then look at the deckplans to verify that you can see a dedicated nursery space.

Agree that it was a bad decision on RCI's part to name these with such similar wording...many have been very unhappy expecting to have the option of a nursery...So OP do check this out carefully.

However we've sailed on Radiance twice with toddler grandsons under 3 and the nursery was absolutely amazing (just make sure to go sign up asap when you get onboard and also get your bag of toys)...the staff are professionals (not just regular crew) and our boys hated to leave when we would pick them up and wanted to go play all the time...it worked out so well...looking forward to our next (nursery) cruise on Harmony this March with them.

BTW: Our costs were $6.00 per child per hour before 5:00pm and $8.00 after 5:00pm

Edited by Ashland

Just a FYI, only DCL and some RCCL ships have splash areas for diapered children, the rest don't.

Interestingly on Harmony the splash are is much expanded and even includes a slide.

Sailing from Barcelona rules over swim diapers etc seem to be ignored anyway