Princess has the right to search you, your room and baggage

MsValentine

In re-reading the Princess Passage Contract

(https://book.princess.com/cruisepersonalizer/documents.page)

the following caught my eye. This might be of concern for those who are thinking of concealing alcohol or other no-nos on their cruise:

" 13. BAGGAGE AND PERSONAL EFFECTS, LIABILITY LIMITATIONS, INSPECTION.

You agree Carrier has, at all times with or without notice, the right to enter and search Your stateroom, personal safe or storage spaces, or to search You, Your baggage and/or personal effects at any location."

Edited by MsValentine

the following caught my eye:

13. BAGGAGE AND PERSONAL EFFECTS, LIABILITY LIMITATIONS, INSPECTION.

"You agree Carrier has, at all times with or without notice, the right to enter and search Your stateroom, personal safe or storage spaces, or to search You, Your baggage and/or personal effects at any location."

So,do you have anything to hide ? If they do search you will be informed and if something goes missing you have a valid claim :)

the following caught my eye. This might be of concern for those who are thinking of concealing alcohol or other no-nos on their cruise:

You agree Carrier has, at all times with or without notice, the right to enter and search Your stateroom, personal safe or storage spaces, or to search You, Your baggage and/or personal effects at any location."

That's probably stated in any cruise line's conditions of passage & when violated it can result in a visit to the "naughty room" when concealing booze or other prohibited items.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Why would you consider this to be a surprise?

Any carrier has the same right, airlines, trains, buses, cruise lines, etc. They all have the same phase in their terms.

Actually you can probably find the same rights to search in hotels as well. Don't forget sport stadiums, amusement parks.

In other words just about everywhere.

Ah, this is what I was looking for when I found the bit about the cruise line reserving the right to search you.

Repeatedly on this site and on others I've seen people say that you can take bottled water and soft drinks onto Princess ships. It took some digging, but finally found where I had read that is NOT the policy. Maybe this changed recently as so many people insist they have, and you can, but this is in the Princess "Cruise Answer Book" as of today. See next to last line. (I bolded it here). I'm not complaining, since I would not personally want to carry cases of beverages (well, except wine), but I'd hates to see my fellow travelers go to all the trouble of carrying cases of water or soda only to have them rejected.

https://book.princess.com/…/down…/pdf/Cruise_Answer_Book.pdf:

"Alcohol Policy

As provided in the Passage Contract, guests agree

not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind onboard for

consumption, except one bottle of wine or champagne per

adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage,

which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in

your stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles are

welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective

of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits,

beer, bottled water and canned or bottled soda are not

permitted. Please remember that luggage will be scanned and

alcohol or any beverages outside of our policy will be removed

and discarded."

That verbiage concerning water and soda was removed shortly after it was added. In addition the verbiage was never added to the Passage Contract. See current alcohol policy on page 20 of the current version of the online Cruise Answer Book below:

https://book.princess.com/images/cc/brochure/downloads/Princess_Cruise_Answer_Book.pdf

Edited by IECalCruiser

None to conceal so I have no problem with it.

That verbiage concerning water and soda was removed shortly after it was added. In addition the verbiage was never added to the Passage Contract. See current alcohol policy on page 20 of the current version of the online Cruise Answer Book below:

https://book.princess.com/images/cc/brochure/downloads/Princess_Cruise_Answer_Book.pdf

That link goes to a pdf which at the bottom says

Contents are accurate as of 10/15/15 and are subject to change.

Please refer to princess.com for updated information.

My original quote was from the "Answer Book" that I found a link to on the website today. I just searched again and also found the link to the 10/15/15 version on the Brochures page of the website. Odd that they'd have links to 2 different versions, but they do. No idea if anything has changed since 10/15/15.

In any case, my intention was never to tell anyone what they can or cannot do, or what Princess will or will not permit. Just sharing what it said on the Princess.com site that I was at today. I did send them an email asking for clarification. I personally do not intend to carry water or soda onto the ship, and I really don't care what anyone else chooses to do, just saddened by the idea that other newbies are being told it's fine to do if in fact it MAY NOT be. Same issue with surge protectors, hair dryers, fans etc (some say you can take them, others say they've been confiscated).

Bottom line may be, if it's important to someone to take something on the ship, maybe they should ask the cruise line to be sure.

I understand your motivation to inform passengers about some conflicting information provided by Princess. :)

The soda & water prohibition statement was discussed in great detail on CC late last year & Princess stated it was a typo error & that nothing has changed. No one has posted they were denied taking soda & water on any Princess cruise. And those of us who sail Princess frequently are always allowed to bring all of the soda & water we want either during embarkation or from ports.

The surge protection danger has been explained in detail here on CC by a cruise ship's chief engineer. Now Princess shows surge protected devices are prohibited in page 3 of their Safety Information available in the Cruise Personalizer.

https://book.princess.com/html/personalizer/downloads/pdf/Safety_Information.pdf

Edited by Astro Flyer

I understand your motivation to inform passengers about some conflicting information provided by Princess. :)

https://book.princess.com/html/personalizer/downloads/pdf/Safety_Information.pdf

Thank you! The thing is, I keep seeing people (especially inexperienced cruisers like me) ask questions and be given answers that contradict each other, or are along the lines of "When I took a cruise 2 years ago, I took..." which may be irrelevant due to policy change, or may have even been a different cruise line. And seems some policies are enforced differently depending on Princess personnel you encounter, or other circmstance. Thinking the thing to do was get some of my own answers directly from Princess, I went to their website. But that wasn't as much help as I had hoped. Ah well, may forget about taking anything that might even remotely be a problem and just go with the flow. It's not like I HAVE TO take that case of expensive wines I wanted to have on board... :)

They can search all they want.

Thank you! The thing is, I keep seeing people (especially inexperienced cruisers like me) ask questions and be given answers that contradict each other, or are along the lines of "When I took a cruise 2 years ago, I took..." which may be irrelevant due to policy change, or may have even been a different cruise line. And seems some policies are enforced differently depending on Princess personnel you encounter, or other circmstance. Thinking the thing to do was get some of my own answers directly from Princess, I went to their website. But that wasn't as much help as I had hoped. Ah well, may forget about taking anything that might even remotely be a problem and just go with the flow. It's not like I HAVE TO take that case of expensive wines I wanted to have on board... :)

I think that many of us can relate to your situation & frustration with inconsistent application of policies which sometimes varies based on who is applying it. :(

Unfortunately not everything we read on CC is completely accurate but they're just experiences that may vary. That's why I sometimes take things with a grain of salt and sometimes it's more of with a grain of rock salt. :p

I can reassure you that you can bring as much wine as you desire which is subject to a $15/bottle corkage fee for additional bottles. The first bottle per passenger has no fee to enjoy in your cabin or to pay $15 to have in the dining room. Bottles charged corkage during boarding can be consumed anywhere & they'll store any remaining wine for another day. I've also been able to bring wine from ports which is subject to a corkage fee because Princess realizes that we want to enjoy wines from around the world which they don't carry on the ship. :D

Edited by Astro Flyer