Sip & Sail Main Dining Room Question

cruznliz

We just fell hook, line and sinker for the Sip & Sail to Hawaii in 2017 and now I have logistical questions. I understand you can buy bottles of wine in the MDR for 40% off, but you can't order drinks with the Bev. Package in the MDR. Right?

I know this has been talked about to death, :eek: but, can you carry in a glass of wine to the dining room without any problems? Do people do this? I have seen people carry in "cabin wine" and the free drinks from the parties, but is it done with the Bev. Package too? ;)

We just fell hook, line and sinker for the Sip & Sail to Hawaii in 2017 and now I have logistical questions. I understand you can buy bottles of wine in the MDR for 40% off, but you can't order drinks with the Bev. Package in the MDR. Right?

I know this has been talked about to death, :eek: but, can you carry in a glass of wine to the dining room without any problems? Do people do this? I have seen people carry in "cabin wine" and the free drinks from the parties, but is it done with the Bev. Package too? ;)

You can definitely order drinks in the MDR using the beverage package. You can also order wine by the glass (inside or outside of the MDR) -- you just cannot purchase the entire bottle of wine for no charge. But, if you do purchase a bottle with the discount, the wine can be shared with others that don't have the package. No sharing allowed with single drinks if you do have the package and the other guest(s) don't.

And yes, you can always carry a glass of wine into the dining room with you but you will be able to order it in there as well. The only place you cannot use the beverage package is through room service -- from what I know. I am not sure about the private islands if you are sailing in the Caribbean.

No problem.

We just used last year's Sip and Sail in May and each night we'd go to Vines and get a glass of wine and bring it to the dining room with us. No problem, although the bartender at Vines did have to put them in a specific glass for "to go".

November on the Star, and April on the Grand, in the MDR, our waiters brought us the "good glasses" on request - even if we brought wine in those crappy bar glasses. As usual, after the first night the good stemware was chilled and waiting.

November on the Star, and April on the Grand, in the MDR, our waiters brought us the "good glasses" on request - even if we brought wine in those crappy bar glasses. As usual, after the first night the good stemware was chilled and waiting.

Now I'm curious. Just how crappy are the bar glasses? What's the difference? :eek: (We're too cheap to drink onboard normally so we don't know the ropes!) Really, really looking forward to the Sip & Sail!

You can definitely order drinks in the MDR using the beverage package. You can also order wine by the glass (inside or outside of the MDR) -- you just cannot purchase the entire bottle of wine for no charge. But, if you do purchase a bottle with the discount, the wine can be shared with others that don't have the package. No sharing allowed with single drinks if you do have the package and the other guest(s) don't.

And yes, you can always carry a glass of wine into the dining room with you but you will be able to order it in there as well. The only place you cannot use the beverage package is through room service -- from what I know. I am not sure about the private islands if you are sailing in the Caribbean.

You must be or have been a teacher at some point! :)

Now I'm curious. Just how crappy are the bar glasses? What's the difference? :eek: (We're too cheap to drink onboard normally so we don't know the ropes!) Really, really looking forward to the Sip & Sail!

Just the typical thick glass bar wine glass found in bars everywhere. Try some wine in the Riedel style wine glasses in Vines and see if you taste a difference.

What's really screwy is the "Wine tasting" events use the junk wine glasses.

The only place you cannot use the beverage package is through room service -- from what I know. I am not sure about the private islands if you are sailing in the Caribbean.

It can be used on the private island.

The soda (and soda & more) package cannot be used there as that package does not include canned soda which is what they have on the island. The AIBP includes any drink up to $10, so the canned soda is included as well as alcoholic beverages.

Okay, so we know the AIBP can be used in the DR (I've used it myself). But can it be used for the limoncello on Italian night? You see it comes in a souvenir glass and that might make it a no go. Thoughts?

ANY drink $10 or under.

Its in a regular glass.

If you want the special one (glass) you pay.

We had the limoncello in the MDR on Italian night, came in the souvenir glass and we weren't charged under the AIBP. I know this because there were no bar charges on our tab for our 12 night cruise, even after DH discovered the single malt Scotch. I suppose it could have been a mistake, but that was our experience.

We had the limoncello in the MDR on Italian night, came in the souvenir glass and we weren't charged under the AIBP. I know this because there were no bar charges on our tab for our 12 night cruise, even after DH discovered the single malt Scotch. I suppose it could have been a mistake, but that was our experience.

We had the limoncello, but they told us we couldn't get the souvenir glass under the package, so it was in a regular glass.

Just the typical thick glass bar wine glass found in bars everywhere. Try some wine in the Riedel style wine glasses in Vines and see if you taste a difference.

ABSOLUTELY! Night and Day!

What's really screwy is the "Wine tasting" events use the junk wine glasses.

Agreed 100%...major screwy. :eek:

see comments in RED

I'm not sure how to interpret this: was it a mistake that your DH discovered AIBP covered Single Malts?

Many times it is that your waitstaff decided to take care of you... and you got lucky. Which is all what makes us love cruising on Princess!

(Please note flagrant kiss up to Princess staff who reads these forums)