Sabor Modern Mexican on Navigator

I was checking out speciality dining options for our Transatlantic cruise on the Navigator and came across something rather curious. For Sabor Modern Mexican, it shows a cover charge of £19.75 (around $25) per person, which I expected based on what I have read on here. However, when I look at the menu, it has individual prices for each item ranging from $3 to $9. Do they really charge you cover charge and then again for the individual items?

I know that Chops has some upcharge items, but on the Sabor menu everything has a price attached. On the flipside, Izumi shows as having cover charge of $0 with each item priced a la carte, which makes sense.

Corinna

Sabor is a flat fee on Navigator and Freedom, but it's a la carte on Oasis and Allure. I think you must be looking at an Oasis class menu.

Thanks. I accessed the menu through the cruise planner page for our Navigator cruise. It is a little strange that they have a menu for another ship on there. Now I just have to decide if I want Mexican or steak for my birthday.

Corinna

Thanks. I accessed the menu through the cruise planner page for our Navigator cruise. It is a little strange that they have a menu for another ship on there. Now I just have to decide if I want Mexican or steak for my birthday.

Corinna

Royal Caribbean IT strikes again.:)

Sabor is a flat fee on Navigator and Freedom, but it's a la carte on Oasis and Allure. I think you must be looking at an Oasis class menu.

Glad you mentioned that, Highly enjoyed our Sabor Lunch on Freedom. Now, to go look to see if its being added on Adventure in this update.

Sabor is a flat fee on Navigator

And subject to 'hard sell'!! 'Representatives' of Sabor, Chops & Giovanna's would often approach you in Vintages, Cafe Promenade and even the Windjammer (whilst eating :mad:) to 'sell' some deal or other for their restaurants. Great if you were considering because I guess you may strike a deal, but annoying if of no interest.

yes, you can politely say quite quickly 'not interested' but they are almost as annoying as Chuggers in London. It feels quite a 'tacky' sales method really :(

And subject to 'hard sell'!! 'Representatives' of Sabor, Chops & Giovanna's would often approach you in Vintages, Cafe Promenade and even the Windjammer (whilst eating :mad:) to 'sell' some deal or other for their restaurants. Great if you were considering because I guess you may strike a deal, but annoying if of no interest.

yes, you can politely say quite quickly 'not interested' but they are almost as annoying as Chuggers in London. It feels quite a 'tacky' sales method really :(

interesting, On Freedom when Sabor was new, they had a booth in the promenade on embarkation with a guy making Guac and handing out samples. It enticed us enough to book a lunch. Didn't see them otherwise, but what you state would be annoying. Must have been some manager's gung ho idea.

Interesting.... I was thinking of booking prior to boarding but may wait to see if I'm offered any deal on board. Knowing my luck I'll be avoided like the plague by the sales people :p

That sounds really annoying. I hope that this experience is not replicated on our cruise.

We ate dinner there. IMHO, good but not great. If you're craving Mexican, go for it but keep expectations realistic.

I think my expectations are probably quite realistic. I live in the UK and authentic Mexican food is very hard to come by.

Corinna

That sounds really annoying. I hope that this experience is not replicated on our cruise.

I think my expectations are probably quite realistic. I live in the UK and authentic Mexican food is very hard to come by.

Corinna

I had been to Mexico City a few times and never got a good handle on what authentic Mexican is, but left Sabor saying everything tasted great. I could eat the Chicken Stuffed Jalapeno every day.

absolutely concur. the waiter from Sabor just would not shut up about it even after I told him I loathed Mexican cuisine( all three kinds.. Tex Mex, Ca Mex and actual Mexican)

FTR, later on that cruise we had a suite only luncheon that featured signature items from each specialty, including Sabor's Guac. it was terrible. my husband who loves guacamole even said so.

Interesting.... I was thinking of booking prior to boarding but may wait to see if I'm offered any deal on board. Knowing my luck I'll be avoided like the plague by the sales people :p

no need to wait for them to approach you. just stop by any specialty and ask what kind of specials they can offer you, and let them know you'd like to try different venues.

Thanks OP for asking this perfect timing for me. Dining has just opened up for my Nav cruise in March and I see exactly the same thing $25 pp but then the menu with prices. So seems it's just a mix up. I am planning on holding a few days to see if they add any of the 2 or 3 night speciality restaurant deals as in my upcoming Harmony it gives a pretty decent discount, especially as 2 night is BOGO. If not $25 seems fair as long as you go hungry as looking at the a la carter menu pricing you've got to go some to spend that!

Sabor is our favorite restaurant. I don't know what menu shows up, but the menus on Navigator and freedom are larger than the menu on Allure. So keep in mind there may be additional items other than what you are seeing if it is showing you the al a carte menu.

Also we LOVE the guac from Sabor. When we cruised on allure we ended up getting Guac almost every night before dinner, so to each their own.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Also we LOVE the guac from Sabor. When we cruised on allure we ended up getting Guac almost every night before dinner, so to each their own.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have a hard time believing anyone who "loves" guacamole that says Sabor guacamole is terrible. They must be use to that processed jar crap you buy in the grocery store.

I didnt eat in Sabor. I did sample their guacamole though and I "love" guacamole. Sabor's was most excellent

Edited by ryano

I have a hard time believing anyone who "loves" guacamole that says Sabor guacamole is terrible. They must be use to that processed jar crap you buy in the grocery store.

I didnt get to try Sabor. I did sample their guacamole though and I "love" guacamole. Sabor's was most excellent

I agree. You can't get it served any fresher than table side. When booking specialty restaurants Sabor > Chops. Our upcoming cruise on the Adventure, there is no Sabor. But we will pass on Chops. We decided to get our steak on in Aruba since the ship doesn't leave to 11pm.

BTW, you won't find better margaritas anywhere on the ship better than those serve at Sabor. Over the Top delish.