Nightly Menus - in Advance?

Sequim88

On RCCL we've been able to go to the MDR and view the menus to be used each night and see what the offerings are specific to a night. This is handy to be able to not miss something that only shows up once or wait until a different variation is available. Do HAL ships offer this "sneak peek"?

Your DDR steward or asst can get the menus for you (do wait until after dinner to ask, but after one or two nights they'll know to bring them automatically).

We've also found the wine steward to be amenable to digging up the next night's menu - then after seeing it we pre-order wine so he/she can have it ready for us when we arrive at our table.

Because of a food allergy they make me order the night before from the menu....so I know they are printed and available.

and if not available when you finish dinner, which happens occasionally with early seating, the steward can have it delivered to your cabin - a really nice perk.

We use checking the posted menu as one of our "activities" during the day. Now that DW has developed a gluten intolerance issue, we may follow the suggestion to ask to see the next day's menu.

Register with ships' services and fill out the allergen form. Not only will you see the menu the night before, but she can order anything on it and it will be made gluten-free for her.

We use checking the posted menu as one of our "activities" during the day. Now that DW has developed a gluten intolerance issue, we may follow the suggestion to ask to see the next day's menu.

I must eat gluten free as well. Contacr ship services in advance so they know, then check in with your maitre 'd the first day to reinforce your dietary needs. Your waiter will bring you the next night's menu after your dinner to pre-select from. This gives the chef staff the opportunity to know what you would like and have it ready for you without problems or delay. I feel HAL has always taken very good care of me in the Main Dining Room.

You are more on your own in the Lido, so just be careful.

On our Feb. cruise on the Veendam, I tried to get them menus for the whole 2 week cruise. I was told they weren't made up yet. After I made that request at the front desk, they delivered the menu daily to our room. I really wanted to see the menus for the whole cruise so we could decide what nights to go to the Pinnacle. That didn't work but it was nice to have the menu delivered each morning.

Wasn't thinking so much of that evening's menu or the next day's but ALL the days. Nice to be be able to see if they will be doing different preparations of the same basic item several days apart and pick the more interesting one freeing up the other evening for something else. RCCL had a book with them all available to browse between meals when the staff was not busy.

On our Feb. cruise on the Veendam, I tried to get them menus for the whole 2 week cruise. I was told they weren't made up yet. After I made that request at the front desk, they delivered the menu daily to our room. I really wanted to see the menus for the whole cruise so we could decide what nights to go to the Pinnacle. That didn't work but it was nice to have the menu delivered each morning.

I wouldn't mind see them in advance either, but I do make it one of my daily chores after getting some tea and or breakfast to wonder down to the MDR to view the days menu's. That way the Wife and I can decided on the evenings plans. Its gets me some small amount of exercise and we get to be surprised.

I wouldn't mind see them in advance either, but I do make it one of my daily chores after getting some tea and or breakfast to wonder down to the MDR to view the days menu's. That way the Wife and I can decided on the evenings plans. Its gets me some small amount of exercise and we get to be surprised.

Yes, this was our after breakfast routine too.

I have confirmed with several Culinary Operations Managers in the HAL fleet that the same menu (with only a few tweaks) for every cruise of the same duration and location during a cruise season. This enables advance bulk purchasing and staging all of the ingredients.

That means all seven-day cruises in Alaska will have the same menu for each day for the entire season. Unless you experience a back-to-back, you will not realize this.

For the Caribbean season, the same menu is served on all seven-day cruises and all 11-day cruises will have their own menus for the entire season. Note that 10-day cruises will serve the 11-day menu series but Thursday will be deleted. Special menus are served on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years.

If someone has copied all of the menus for their cruise and is willing to share them, you can know "what's for dinner" long before you board.

Edited by Crew News