cash AND credit for sail and sign?

hpugirl27

I'm sure I could probably find this on Carnival's website somewhere, but I thought some of you may know. I've only ever used cash to fund my sail and sign account. For my upcoming trip, I'd like to put some cash on it and then have a credit card as a back up if/when the cash runs out. Can they do this?

I know I could just have the credit card, or just have the cash, but I hadn't heard of doing both before. Thanks!!

You will need to put your credit card down to secure the S&S account.

On the last day of the cruise you can go down and pay as much of your bill as you like with cash.

Keep in mind, that when you put the card down, Carnival will put a hold on it. They will release it, but it takes 24-48 hrs for them to do that.

Have a good cruise!

On our last cruise:

OBC & gift cards were used first (I forgot to provide the gift cards at check-in, but stopped by guest services the next day & they added the value).

Our credit card was then charged for our balance beyond that.

I'd used the credit card to set up the on board account online before we left, so the $100 hold did show up the day we left.

You can use whichever you wish when you board. Then go to Guest Services or the kiosk to use the other. Carnival will use OBC and cash first, then use the credit card.

This! You do NOT have to secure your onboard account with a credit card. There's an order by which funds are used as you said. OBC, cash, gift cards, then credit cards.

Edited by cruizinisthebest

Is the hold on your credit card always only $100?

When do you have to put your cc info in? Can you do that when you board or must it be in advance?

You can do it when you board, no problem. As far as the hold is concerned, I'm afraid I don't have a good answer for you. People have reported differing hold amounts; however, I believe that $100 is the minimum hold. If you are concerned about the hold on your credit card, just put the cash down on your S&S. They will definitely let you know when you have run out of it and then you can put your credit card on the account.

Don't sail HAL if you have an issue with credit or debit card holds or can't come up with lots of cash. On shorter cruises the hold is $60.00 per person per day, so for a 7 day cruise that is a total of $840 for 2 people. On longer cruises the hold is only $30.00 per day per person, but for a couple on a 30 day cruise that is $1800.

So you could sign up with one credit card and have the hold on it and then pay with whatever card you want when you are on board?

This is what I do: I always list my account as cash during the online check in. I don't like having holds on my credit card. And by then everything is holding - hotel, car rental, etc. So no I list my account as cash. Once in the terminal or onboard, I load gift cards and a credit card. This has always prevented holds on my credit or debit card. Never an issue. Usually the card isn't touched because between gift cards and obc there's plenty to cover our charges. But no matter whether I fund the account with cash, gift cards, or a credit card, I always set it up online as a cash account. No issues.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I'm sure I could probably find this on Carnival's website somewhere, but I thought some of you may know. I've only ever used cash to fund my sail and sign account. For my upcoming trip, I'd like to put some cash on it and then have a credit card as a back up if/when the cash runs out. Can they do this?

I know I could just have the credit card, or just have the cash, but I hadn't heard of doing both before. Thanks!!

I find it is easier for me, if I open my sail and sign account with a credit card, and then as the balance on that on board account increases, I just go down to guest services and put some cash on it to bring I down. I know everyone has their own way of doing things, but this is how I like to do mine. You could also just run an account on your credit card and pay it off when you come home, keep your cash, if it makes you feel better.

or, as you like, you can put down just cash to start with, and if you find that you are running low, you can give your credit card as back up later. Sorry not sure if you can set it up cash first and card later though. But I expect that if you are getting near your charges are getting close to your cash deposit, Carnival will be paging you to check in with guest services to put either more cash down or a credit card. just guessing though.

Edited by SMSACE6

My favourite way, put down my card and some cash, top the cash up if needed, but cash out any remaining (or leave a bit less than I think I will spend) the day, before the cruise ends, no need to line up last day but can still use my account, but only a small charge, a drink or two to go on my credit card.

First time Carnival cruiser, I was thinking about buying the cruise cash, is that the equivalent to the OBC? But I also opened by account online with credit card.

It works just like OBC so if you have another form of payment on your account, your cruise cash will be used first.

Keep in mind, max purchase per person is $500 on cruise cash. If by some chance you don't use it all, you lose whatever is left over. So don't buy more cruise cash than you think you need. If you wind up cancelling the trip for whatever reason, it will be refunded to you.

It works just like OBC so if you have another form of payment on your account, your cruise cash will be used first.

Keep in mind, max purchase per person is $500 on cruise cash. If by some chance you don't use it all, you lose whatever is left over. So don't buy more cruise cash than you think you need. If you wind up cancelling the trip for whatever reason, it will be refunded to you.

Thank you