The mass of people

Star1

The chairs in the cruise ship terminal area are at no cost.

The chairs and pool at Margaritaville are also free for your use. :)

If buy drinks or food, you are charged for those things.

Grand Turk is quite nice when there's only one ship there.

Enjoy your day there! :D

Edited by OCruisers

chair and umbrella at the pier is free.

The chairs in the cruise ship terminal area are at no cost.

The chairs and pool at Margaritaville are also free for your use. :)

If buy drinks or food, you are charged for those things.

Grand Turk is quite nice when there's only one ship there.

Enjoy your day there! :D

Thank-you both for the info. :)

• 2 months later...

Can someone clarify for me please? There seems to be consensus that chairs are free at both the beach and the pool at Margaritaville, however I've read conflicting info regarding umbrellas - are they also free or are they for a fee and if so, does anyone recall how much? Thanks!!

We've booked a cabana to ensure we have a spot of our own :)

We did this on our last cruise and loved it! It was nice to have a base camp to hang out at and then everyone could run back and forth to do what they wanted. It also turned out to be a good thing since one member of our group had unexpected surgery about a month prior, so she couldn't really go into the water much. It gave her a place to rest and relax. It was totally worth it to us.

Everyone has their own opinion on what they want to do. They wouldn't offer things there if nobody wanted to do them. For us, we just wanted to relax in the sun. We'd been running around a lot in the weeks before between work loads and school. Plus we did Alaska this summer and that was a lot of touring and adventures. We live in Chicago, we just wanted sunshine and warm weather! ;)

At Jack's Shack last week. 2 ships at the dock. Yes, it would have less crowded with only one ship. Did I ever have trouble getting a drink? NO The jerk chicken was amazing as always. You could move down the beach 100 feet and no one was there. Topher is still digging! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Grand Turk is an island that is 6.9 sq miles or approximately 7 miles by 1 mile. It is long and narrow with a north-south orientation. The population that live there is 3,700 so it is a bit crowded with just the locals. Tourism (cruise ships) is how they make most of their money so expect higher prices. The fabled donkeys run wild and the island has "salt ponds" which are bodies of sea water that when they dry out, sea salt is left behind. If two ships are in port and have a combined pax load of 6000 not counting crew, then that figures out to be 870 pax per sq mile which can be described as very crowded.

Edited by satxdiver

Well for one, you could have saved the codenscending "bless your heart" reference when quoting me, because I didn't say it to anyone.

I give my opinion. Everyone does. But I intentionally try not to engage in finger wagging over how people like to spend their time while on vacation. So you will not see me being righteous over someone buying the internet package or playing Pokémon or partying at Margaritaville, for example. We all have opinions on things. And I was speaking for myself. Not representing entire forums or other members, and I certainly wasn't yelling.

I know all about the ignore feature. Don't see it necessary at this point. I can disagree with someone and be fine with it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Ever ask a southerner what "Bless your heart" really means?

Can someone clarify for me please? There seems to be consensus that chairs are free at both the beach and the pool at Margaritaville, however I've read conflicting info regarding umbrellas - are they also free or are they for a fee and if so, does anyone recall how much? Thanks!!

The vendors have put umbrellas on the beach, usually the 1st two rows of loungers. They rent them for $30 to $50 per umbrella. The loungers are free, therefore the vendors will grab unoccupied Carnival free loungers and put them in their umbrella lines when their inventory gets close to full.

My solution is to walk past the Carnival area and go to the less crowded sections of independents. There are at least 3 that have beach setups and restaurant/bars. Jacks Shack is the furthest and has the best food. Shark Reef or Shark Bite has the most comfy loungers but so so food. They are no where near as crowded as the Carnival section. Umbrella and loungers can go for $10 to $20 per setup here.

On my last visit a few weeks ago, there was an ongoing discussion/argument between the cruisers and the vendors in the Carnival lounger area, involving both beach security and local police. I don't want the drama on vacation, so I walk past it and leave it behind.

Edited by evandbob

We love Grand Turk. We went back in June and will be back there this upcoming June. I couldn't believe how many people were crammed into Margaritaville when we went though, thankfully we didn't go there. We ended up renting a golf cart and exploring the island. We rode up to the lighthouse, checked out Her Majesty's Prison, the Conch Graveyard, the old salinas and just rode around the island exploring it. Despite how poor the island is, we felt very safe as everyone was super friendly.

That place was so packed that people were turning away due to the long wait for a table. You had a very hard time getting a drink if you wanted one.

I love Grand Turk but the mass of people, being ripped off for an umbrella, drunks and vendors fighting made it a less than normal stop for us.

If you get off the ship early and get a free chair under the tree it made life easier. The right side of the pier was packed also!!! We bring our own floats and hang out by the ropes. Not many people are out there so it is perfect.

Next time I am there I will check into other places on the Island. Any ideas of where I should enjoy life next time????

Bless you all and healthy hearts to everyone,

Relax and enjoy life.

We usually head to The Sandbar in Cockburn town there is a little beach right next to it that is great for seaglass. Good beer, good food, right on the beautiful beach.

Also, there is no such thing as a private beach on the island, so you can swim right in front of the Sandbar, if you want.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
Jack's Shack is located in Zone A - A $4 fare each way pp.

TaxiTariffSign-for%20web_Page_.jpg

Just returned from GT last week. A few clarifications:

There are many chairs and umbrellas for free

by Margaritaville. Only a very few umbrellas are manned by vendors and they do charge, but they are obvious - watch the colors.

We were the only ship and the beach and Magaritaville were not busy. The beach started to fill up around 11:00, after a 7:00 am arrival

Jack's is only about 500 yds. down the beach and has good food, fair service and was crowded but not full. We walked up at noon and sat right down

Overall a nice, simple beach experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
Many port stops accommodate many cruise ships without a problem.

Unfortunately, Grand Turk is NOT one that does.

Then there are TWO ships there it becomes a zoo. Small island and everyplace (not just Margaritaville) will be totally crowded.

Sad because Grand Turk is a nice port stop with on one ship there ....

How can you find out what other ships will be there the same day/time?

Even with two ships in port, you can still find quiet places on the island. Last time, another shop got there at 8, we got there at 11. Went into town and had a snack and adult beverages at our favorite spot, busy, but not crowded. Snorkeled off the point past the conch graveyard, saw nobody else it that way in the water, less than a dozen people walking the beach.

Even with two ships in port, you can still find quiet places on the island. Last time, another shop got there at 8, we got there at 11. Went into town and had a snack and adult beverages at our favorite spot, busy, but not crowded. Snorkeled off the point past the conch graveyard, saw nobody else it that way in the water, less than a dozen people walking the beach.

Will you give the name of "your favorite spot", or are you keeping it a secret? :rolleyes: I am thinking maybe the Sandbar? We are looking for good snorkeling.

We were planning to go to Jacks Shack, but now not so sure. I heard that The Beached Whale isn't too crowded, but don't know if the snorkeling is good there.

Will you give the name of "your favorite spot", or are you keeping it a secret? :rolleyes: I am thinking maybe the Sandbar? We are looking for good snorkeling.

We were planning to go to Jacks Shack, but now not so sure. I heard that The Beached Whale isn't too crowded, but don't know if the snorkeling is good there.

Beached whale is newish, haven't been there.

Our favorite spot is indeed The Sandbar.

https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/22/92/fa/the-sandbar-restaurant.jpg

The view from the "dining room"

https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/10/5f/73/grand-turk.jpg

We usually snorkel near the pier, off toward the tip of the island is a good spot for snorkeling from the shore. Farther off shore, you might want to head to pillory beach (located at Bohio dive resort) and take a snorkel trip to The Wall.

We really love GT, ask me any questions, happy to answer.