Help me Decide

Valley Girl of VA

I love HAL for many reasons but one of them is their great participatory Piano Bar. I had a cruise booked with them for South America that was just cancelled. I'm now finding myself having to decide between Princess and Celebrity for the itinerary that I want.

The two times that I have been on Celebrity the piano bar was more for listening and a little stuffy. No rocking and rolling, no sing-a-longs, no guessing games, etc.

I have only cruised Princess once and that was too long ago to count. Don't know if they have a Piano Bar or not or what it is like.

So, since that is important to me - which would you choose? The ship I am looking at is Infinity in 2018.

I'm going to also posting this on the Princess thread for their opinion.

Thank you for reading it and your time

Jane

I love HAL for many reasons but one of them is their great participatory Piano Bar. I had a cruise booked with them for South America that was just cancelled. I'm now finding myself having to decide between Princess and Celebrity for the itinerary that I want.

The two times that I have been on Celebrity the piano bar was more for listening and a little stuffy. No rocking and rolling, no sing-a-longs, no guessing games, etc.

I have only cruised Princess once and that was too long ago to count. Don't know if they have a Piano Bar or not or what it is like.

So, since that is important to me - which would you choose? The ship I am looking at is Infinity in 2018.

Jane

I've been on many Celebrity cruises and have never seen a sing-a-long piano situation (other than a Perry Grant show and he no longer entertains on Celebrity). So, no on the Piano Bar as far as I know. Sorry. If that is your highest priority, I think you should look to another cruise line. Hope you find a great cruise to substitute for your cancelled HAL cruise.

It looks like you need to prioritize several things that are important to make your cruise feel special besides the itineraries. If there is something that you just can't cruise without, then it's a no-brainer. This is a very personal situation that can be clarified with a little more information on your part...

I enjoy several things that I find on HAL. I love the team trivia where I have met some many great people by being on a team with them. I enjoy the fun, laughter and singing at the piano bar - always bring back memories. I am not a fan of classical music though hubby is. I do not like raunchy comedians. I like the cooking lessons that HAL has though I don't think any other cruise line has that. I like having the outdoor pool ringed with tables for 4 as many we gather there and eat lunch, make it our base to go elsewhere and we all know we can meet at the table, as well as playing cards. I like being able to find a lounger around the pool if I want to get a little sun. Also enjoy the thermal spa that is extra with HAL as well as the spa (well, actually, not me but several of the ladies that will be on my group). I know that I won't get all this but I want as much as I can with a friendly ship.

Jane

Hi Jane,

I've sailed on Celebrity for ages, and have sailed with Princess a few times. Both lines offer an excellent cruise experience, though I much prefer Celebrity ! However, if a sing along Piano Bar is critical for you, then by all means - go with Princess.

Celebrity previously offered Piano performers on many of their ships. Sadly, they eliminated Michaels Club as a venue open to the public (long story !), and no longer offers Piano performers on a regular basis. I sincerely hope they reconsider, and offer a dedicated Piano venue when the new Edge ships make their debut in 2018 and 2020.

Hope this helps !

Edited by Host Andy

Thanks Host Andy - I know that it is silly to make having a Piano Bar a deciding factor but it is a place where we meet people and have fun at night after the show.

Thank you for your response. I appreciate it.

Jane