Afternoon tea

Nanobot

Generally regular Afternoon Tea is every day at 3 pm excepting embarkation day.

Having done your cruise several times, we know it certainly will not be "High Tea" but the regular one for sure.

Lovely cruise! Enjoy!!

Thanks for the confirmation!

The Empress does not serve "high tea"; they serve "afternoon tea". (Admittedly it is often served at noon and into the evening in order to accommodate the crowds.) High tea is rarely served in hotels or on board ships. The Royal Dutch Tea might be close to meeting the definition of high tea because of the warm delicacies on offer.

The quality of tea on board HAL has been discussed previously in great length. It is almost impossible to get a decent "cuppa" on HAL even if you bring your own tea bags. Vaguely hot water, which may or may not have been boiling at some point, poured over a tea bag in a cup is not tea. The closest thing to boiling water we found on the Noordam was in the Neptune Lounge. Along with our own tea-bags it was acceptable.

On a cruise aboard the Rotterdam in 1974 we attempted to partake of afternoon tea in one of the lounges. Several stewards distributed silver teapots to about a third of the tables, then they left. We thought they were going for more teapots. Alas, that was not the case and a few minutes later the staff returned to collect the teapots. We did get a sandwich though. As I recall we did get tea in silver pots in the dining room and it was drinkable.

Before anyone makes a snide comment about tea being unimportant I would point out that those who fancy coffee would never put up with the rubbish that tea drinkers are expected to tolerate in many establishments.

(bold is mine) Sadly, most restaurants in the US think your description is how tea IS made. The only thing worse than that is the cup of water that may once have been hot with the tea bag on the side.

It seems to me that the more some establishments fuss about the coffee, the less attention they pay to the tea they serve. I will drink swill coffee (Dunkin or 7-11), but I am fussy about tea.

Ooh, fellow tea snobs!!

I love this thread! :)

:D :D

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

I just got off the Maasdam on 8/15/16. I had an on-line reservation for tea at The Empress on 8/14/16. Some weeks before sailing I was informed by HAL that The Empress no longer does afternoon teas for cruise ship guests and the reservation changed to Tea at The Gatsby. The Gatsby tea was quite nice however it was a disappointment not to be able to see The Empress.

On this sailing the Indonesian Tea aboard was table service with the waiters coming around (about half were in the formal Indonesian clothes) with platters of sandwiches, fritters and crepes.

I just got off the Maasdam on 8/15/16. I had an on-line reservation for tea at The Empress on 8/14/16. Some weeks before sailing I was informed by HAL that The Empress no longer does afternoon teas for cruise ship guests and the reservation changed to Tea at The Gatsby. The Gatsby tea was quite nice however it was a disappointment not to be able to see The Empress.

On this sailing the Indonesian Tea aboard was table service with the waiters coming around (about half were in the formal Indonesian clothes) with platters of sandwiches, fritters and crepes.

Just a personal note, but I find the Gatsby Tea much better than the one at the Empress.

The Empress Tea Lounge is gorgeous, as is the whole hotel and surrounding area and their Tea was good, but rather overpriced.

What we really enjoyed in the past was the Death By Chocolate Dessert Buffet on certain evenings. That was worth the million calories!!!

I just got off the Maasdam on 8/15/16......

I have come to understand that for Indonesian Tea many of the servers wear their own personal traditional clothing, usually from their home region, not ship supplied uniforms or costumes... ask them about it and you will learn, they are so proud of their traditions and appreciate the opportunity to share with guests.

Although the tea water may not be quite right, there are other benefits. I live at 8700 feet where water boils at 196F/91C which makes preparation of a lot of foods different, but there are many benefits of living here, if not the tea.

In travel we have the privilege to experience new offerings, albeit with some discomforts compared to what we are familiar with. I'm sure there will be great sighs of appreciation for a good cup of tea upon return to home environs, but alas, no coconut crepes! m--

The trouble with HAL and tea is that HAL has recently gone to "Herbal Infusuions" which some companies insist on calling "tea". Probably so as not to turn off all their regular tea drinkers.

If you read the label, you find an amazing amount of "stuff", none of which is tea. So beware, read the label so you know what you are getting!

The lemon flavoured green teas (actual tea) are very nice.

As someone who cannot, for medical reasons, have any caffeine, I am very grateful that HAL has the herbal infusions (and the occasional decaf tea) available. Something for everyone, right? :)

I am wondering how your tea seating worked on Princess, as when we sailed a couple of years ago on CB, we were seated with other people at a large table -- everyone was seated to fill tables. (Notwithstanding this, the tea was very pleasant and relaxing, at least for us.)

On the other hand, we requested and were seated at a table for two on HAL Zuiderdam when we sailed 5 years back. (Also very pleasant and relaxing, btw...)

Our experience on Princess has been that you can request whatever table configuration you would like. So I have been seated at large tables, and also have had table for four with ladies I met onboard, and then one time a table for two with my husband. The servers "work the room" quite diligently, so there are always refills of tea, cakes and sandwiches coming your way. That, along with a pianist, makes for a very nice tea time.

That said, we are four star with HAL and platinum with Princess, and if given like itineraries, we always choose HAL. For the flowers, the libraries, the excellent speakers. The list goes on and on.

Edited by AncientWanderer

That is a curious comment by HAL. If tea is booked directly with the hotel, they don't care how you are arriving: whether by cruise ship, ferry, air, taxi, horse-drawn carriage.:)

I have taken tea at many establishments in Victoria. the Empress is the fanciest and, of course, the most expensive. In addition to the Gatsby, in the area of The Empress we have gone several times to the James Bay Tearoom which has very basic décor but offers a substantial and delicious tea at a modest price.

[quote name=david' date='Mississauga;50842217

Before anyone makes a snide comment about tea being unimportant I would point out that those who fancy coffee would never put up with the rubbish that tea drinkers are expected to tolerate in many establishments.[/quote]

Especially tea made with coffee water:eek:

Seagoing mom, agreed! I am such a tea freak! :D

I do however love the Indonesian green tea they have!

Coffee water is what happens when you put hot water in a container that has held coffee. The water takes on the flavor of old coffee that ruins the tea.

Some containers are hard to clean and the coffee has been left in the container long enough to flavor the water. They should use dedicated pots and serving containers for both hot water and others for coffee.

I love a good tea party!

6boysnana

Coffee water is what happens when you put hot water in a container that has held coffee.

Trust me, I understand the concept (blech), just never heard that term for it before.

Even coffee containers dedicated to coffee need to have some Dip It run through them every once in a while.

Thanks for the new term in my vocabulary.

I'm confused -- do they do afternoon tea for other folks, just not those who come into town on a ship? :confused: Their website shows seatings from 11-5:30 every day, and makes no mention of cruise passengers being excluded...

I can only assume you were referring to a HAL excursion which no longer occurs at the Empress?

The trouble with HAL and tea is that HAL has recently gone to "Herbal Infusuions" which some companies insist on calling "tea". Probably so as not to turn off all their regular tea drinkers.

If you read the label, you find an amazing amount of "stuff", none of which is tea. So beware, read the label so you know what you are getting!

The lemon flavoured green teas (actual tea) are very nice.

Never fear, true tea drinkers always know what they are getting -- as this thread demonstrates, and would never be fooled into drinking an herbal infusion as "tea." ;)

I rather think the problem for the manufacturers would be the opposite -- that folks who actually want an herbal product might avoid something that calls itself "tea," for fear of caffeine... But perhaps herbal beverage drinkers are equally savvy as tea drinkers...:rolleyes:

Coffee water is what happens when you put hot water in a container that has held coffee. The water takes on the flavor of old coffee that ruins the tea.

Some containers are hard to clean and the coffee has been left in the container long enough to flavor the water. They should use dedicated pots and serving containers for both hot water and others for coffee.

I love a good tea party!

6boysnana

Too bad you live in Arizona -- I'd invite you over. I am renown for my tea parties...

Perhaps we'll meet at afternoon tea onboard ship, one day! :)

Edited by SeagoingMom

I'm confused -- do they do afternoon tea for other folks, just not those who come into town on a ship? :confused: Their website shows seatings from 11-5:30 every day, and makes no mention of cruise passengers being excluded...

I can only assume you were referring to a HAL excursion which no longer occurs at the Empress?

Exactly, I had booked the HAL excursion to the Empress, it was cancelled and HAL told me that the Empress no longer does afternoon tea for cruise ship passengers. HAL made no mention of anyone who may have booked tea independently. My deduction was that the Empress no longer wishes to set aside a block of time for cruise ship passenger excursions.

I guess this is an okay time to do a little "grumbling."

We're 4 Star Mariners with HAL. I love afternoon tea, but always skip it on HAL. They kind of seat everybody together at as few tables as possible, make one pass of all the goodies, and send you on your way. It seems very perfunctory, to me. Not the relaxing, pleasant afternoon experience it should be. We sometimes sail with Princess, and they do a much better job, so I make sure to "indulge" as often as possible on our Princess cruises.

Okay. End of grumble. I'm obviously not going away hungry from any HAL cruise.

Join the cue: I am a bit OCD about a proper tea and really was put off on the Eurodam last March.

A guy came holding a pot of hot water (right there we know it isn't boiling hot) whilst another waiter let each passenger route through a box of Variety teas to choose.

I know that there are folks who like Green Tea, etc. but I would prefer the old system of pouring already steeped tea. Then, if someone wants to digress, let them ask.

This new way, which I hope is just a Eurodam thing, takes an excruciating amount of time to serve just one table...I.e...

Oh, should I take Oolong...no, perhaps the pekoe today. Oh! I see you have lap chong ooo..etc. grrrrrr.

That's me, grumpy old tea lady.

I guess this is an okay time to do a little "grumbling."

We're 4 Star Mariners with HAL. I love afternoon tea, but always skip it on HAL. They kind of seat everybody together at as few tables as possible, make one pass of all the goodies, and send you on your way. It seems very perfunctory, to me. Not the relaxing, pleasant afternoon experience it should be. We sometimes sail with Princess, and they do a much better job, so I make sure to "indulge" as often as possible on our Princess cruises.

Okay. End of grumble. I'm obviously not going away hungry from any HAL cruise.

Join the cue: I am a bit OCD about a proper tea and really was put off on the Eurodam last March.

A guy came holding a pot of hot water (right there we know it isn't boiling hot) whilst another waiter let each passenger route through a box of Variety teas to choose.

I know that there are folks who like Green Tea, etc. but I would prefer the old system of pouring already steeped tea. Then, if someone wants to digress, let them ask.

This new way, which I hope is just a Eurodam thing, takes an excruciating amount of time to serve just one table...I.e...

Oh, should I take Oolong...no, perhaps the pekoe today. Oh! I see you have lap chong ooo..etc. grrrrrr.

That's me, grumpy old tea lady.