Choosing a line to be loyal to

We did a cruise on Norwegian about a decade ago to Alaska and loved it but cruises haven't fit our life situation.

That now appears to be changing and we have compiled our wish list. With several cruises on our "to do" list it would seem being in a loyalty program would be in our best interest. Because of my work scheduling, planning anything sooner than four-six months out is needed. It would be flat luck to take advantage of a last minute deal.

This is our wish list, looking for the line that would fit best.

-Alaska up to 10 or 12 days

-Panama Canal transit, up to 15 days.

- New England and Canada fall trip likely 7 days

- Northern Europe up to 10 days

- Mediterranean 7 days.

- Caribbean up to 7 days prefer the less common places like Bahamas and Jamaica

I would recommend choosing your cruise for the itinerary, schedule, and price, and not worry about being "loyal". The loyalty perks aren't that big a deal unless you attain the highest ranks, anyway, and you won't know which one your fave until you've tried more than one.

I would recommend choosing your cruise for the itinerary, schedule, and price, and not worry about being "loyal". The loyalty perks aren't that big a deal unless you attain the highest ranks, anyway, and you won't know which one your fave until you've tried more than one.

Your points are good. The other key issue with the OP'S statement is connection to reality. Full transit Canal transits are rarely less than 14 days. Northern Europe rarely less than 10 days. Med is occasionally 7 days, but more commonly 10 to 12..

Setting your preference on who can do the cruise the fastest is not in contact with the reality of how cruises work.

Being "loyal" doesn't get you that much! Unless you plan to cruise VERY frequently, you are best picking the price and itinerary that suits you! The cruise lines will NOT be "loyal" to you....so don't worry about being "loyal" to them!

Your points are good. The other key issue with the OP'S statement is connection to reality. Full transit Canal transits are rarely less than 14 days. Northern Europe rarely less than 10 days. Med is occasionally 7 days, but more commonly 10 to 12..

Setting your preference on who can do the cruise the fastest is not in contact with the reality of how cruises work.

I said 15 for canal because the cruises I looked at were 15 days.

Not only are loyalty perks almost laughably poor at the lower levels, by pledging allegiance to one line you are limiting your itinerary options and locked into only one cruising "experience". We are so glad we never stuck with one line. It allows us to mix it up far more and not have the same type of cruise every time. Some love the predictability of the same menus, same types of shows and activities and staterooms that look identical. They like that feeling of being "at home" on "their line", but not us.

I have enjoyed many different cruise lines over the past 40 years. But now we have been sailing Princess a lot lately. We like their two new ships, Regal and Royal. I do like their loyalty perks . I have reached their Elite level. The perks that I like the best are:

Free Princess Platinum Vacation Protection Upgrade, you get this from your fourth cruise.

https://book.princess.com/captaincircle/membershipBenefits.page

Preferred Check-In and Complimentary Internet Credit which you get from your sitxh cruise

VOYAGE DURATION

MINUTES

7 days or less 150

8-20 days 250

21+ days 500

After 15 cruises (Elite)I like getting Complimentary Mini Bar Set Up (if you don't drink, you can get two coffee card or soda and water. The best for us is the Complimentary Laundry and Professional Cleaning Services. This means ALL of your laundry for the cruise. So as Elite I get every this that I have stated above. Plus there are other little perks like wine tasting.

What I do like about Princess is the OBC military perk, this can be from your first cruise and every one after.

http://www.princess.com/military_benefit_program/

I all so like that if you own 100 shares of CCL stock you get $100 OBC on a seven day cruise . I think it is more for a longer cruise and the military and share holders can be combined with other offers. The share holders can't be combing with interline rates.

So, this is why we choose Princess besides I love their new ship.

PS, I cruise to relax and do mostly warm weather sailing. I go more for the ship.

Edited by geocruiser