Passport needed in Caribbean

beshears

Still 15$/year wouldn't make or break our travels. We paid around 150$/each just to get back from Stockholm to our home on our last trip since we had forget to book the return flight when it was cheap. To me 110-150$ for something that I can use for ten years is not a big deal. People spend several 100 of dollars on a phone and use it for two years and then get a new one just because everybody else has the new model, but won't spend 110$ on a passport..

It doesn't matter what anyone here thinks or does, people have to make their own desicions if they want a passport or not. I have no choice since I'm a Swedish citizen, but I would have got one even if I didn't "needed" one.

Just as when you might figure you can go on a cruise for $95 a day, you do not get to pay it in daily installments - you have to pay the whole thing before you get on the ship.

Or when you buy an I-phone - or almost anything else that lasts a fair length of time-- you figure the true cost of the thing over its life span. It would be easier to understand someone's reluctance to pay $125 for a passport if it was just good for one year - but that $125 gets one good for ten years.

When one looks at it as going on a cruise for $95 a day one is calculating the value of one cruise versus another- I can cruise with A for $95 a day or with B for $110 a day.

Still 15$/year wouldn't make or break our travels. We paid around 150$/each just to get back from Stockholm to our home on our last trip since we had forget to book the return flight when it was cheap. To me 110-150$ for something that I can use for ten years is not a big deal. People spend several 100 of dollars on a phone and use it for two years and then get a new one just because everybody else has the new model, but won't spend 110$ on a passport..

It doesn't matter what anyone here thinks or does, people have to make their own desicions if they want a passport or not. I have no choice since I'm a Swedish citizen, but I would have got one even if I didn't "needed" one.

I like to get full value out of the things that I purchase and I try to avoid buying things that I need until I need them, especially if they come with an expiration date. Yes, I am that guy that uses vise grips to get the last bit of toothpaste out of the tube:o. Okay, maybe I'm not quite that bad, but still, I like to fully use those things that I buy. I have been fortunate that I've seen a good part of the world in my youth (just a plastic green card that said "US Armed Forces") without the need of a passport so I don't hold it in the same regard as others do. $300 (or $270 if you'd rather) isn't something that would break the bank for us, but it's still an expenditure that I wouldn't make without looking at options.

Yes, people need to make their own decisions and what they decide doesn't impact anyone else, the only reason that I participate in these threads is so people making the decision will have as much information as possible when making their decision.

I am enjoying reading all your responses to my question.

It looks like Volfan22701 and Texhockey were able to get by without (Texhockey did say it came in handy later) the Pass port, compared to everyone else that has posted on here.

If I recall right, I have never been ask to show my BC, although my TA had told me I needed to take it along. Maybe that is what was needed years ago. If that is the case, and I can get by with it, I will just take my Pass port, and not working (other than my ID) about showing anything else.