Pool Temps

Disnyfan2

was just reading about the lap pool in the spa area. Anyone have an idea on the temp in these pools. Will be on Solstice June 2017. Worried that the water would be too cool to swim in.

I think you are reading about the solarium pool. It is not much of a lap pool. In fact, pools on ships are not big at all because the ship's motion will cause waves in the pool. You can do about 5-6 strokes from one end to the other in the Solarium pool. This is not in the "Spa" area itself, but it is right outside it and it is adults only. The Solarium is enclosed and the water temp is cool but not freezing.

I think you are reading about the solarium pool. It is not much of a lap pool. In fact, pools on ships are not big at all because the ship's motion will cause waves in the pool. You can do about 5-6 strokes from one end to the other in the Solarium pool. This is not in the "Spa" area itself, but it is right outside it and it is adults only. The Solarium is enclosed and the water temp is cool but not freezing.

When I was on the Summit in April, water temp was a bone chilling 95. I think it was someone's idea of a joke. The hot tubs were not noticeably warmer.

was just reading about the lap pool in the spa area. Anyone have an idea on the temp in these pools. Will be on Solstice June 2017. Worried that the water would be too cool to swim in.

It is not really a lap pool. As mentioned, it is a cruise ship pool. Good luck trying to swim as it is frequented by groups of people just standing and talking. If you do get a lane, you may get in 5 strokes.

The temperature is cool but not cold. Refreshing on a hot day.

When I was on the Summit in April, water temp was a bone chilling 95. I think it was someone's idea of a joke. The hot tubs were not noticeably warmer.

No joke -- these pools are kept warm intentionally on the M-class ships. I think they refer to them as the Thalassotherapy pools. As many do, I love the solarium pools on the M-class for melting away the tension in the muscles. If you want an actual swimming pool, they have those as well but you will have to go outside.

On the Solstice, which the OP asked about, the pool is kept at a normal temp for swimming ... as others said, cool but not cold.

No joke -- these pools are kept warm intentionally on the M-class ships. I think they refer to them as the Thalassotherapy pools. As many do, I love the solarium pools on the M-class for melting away the tension in the muscles. If you want an actual swimming pool, they have those as well but you will have to go outside.

On the Solstice, which the OP asked about, the pool is kept at a normal temp for swimming ... as others said, cool but not cold.

I know they are kept warmer than a regular pool, but on the one day I was referring to, you could have taken a bath. Also, they took out the four big faucets (what I call them), at the corners of the pool, so now it is just a hot pool.

Is the solarium area open to all cruisers, or is it a fee for use area. Or, is it for only a certain level of cabin users? It sounds nice and adults only can be a plus in certain circumstances. Does it have special hours, or open all the time. We are on the solstice.

Thx.

Edited by muffin
Info added

Is the solarium area open to all cruisers, or is it a fee for use area. Or, is it for only a certain level of cabin users? It sounds nice and adults only can be a plus in certain circumstances. Does it have special hours, or open all the time. We are on the solstice.

Thx.

It is a free area for use for all adults that are on the cruise. I have been on cruises that had specific family times set up for the indoor pool, however, so not kid free the entire time but I know that probably also depends on the itinerary. It is open to go in the solarium 24/7 -- it is beautiful at night with the fountains glowing different colors.

The pool will be covered with a net, though ... thinking maybe at 9 PM or so. Sometimes it is just nice to sit on the loungers and enjoy a cocktail with the fountains ...even though the hot tubs and pool cannot be used during these hours.

I know they are kept warmer than a regular pool, but on the one day I was referring to, you could have taken a bath. Also, they took out the four big faucets (what I call them), at the corners of the pool, so now it is just a hot pool.

I've only sailed on the Infinity but have done so several times and it has always been a hot pool. As you say, little difference between the Thalassotherapy pool and the hot tubs. But, I believe that is the intent. Too bad about the faucets ... I loved those. Maybe they still exist on the Infinity but she's gone through a major renovation since we've last sailed on her.

to me the solarium pool on the silhouette was just a smaller, quieter pool than the main outdoor ones. The Jacuzzis were always very hot and the pool was pleasantly cool. There were no water jets in the corners or anywhere in the pool and it isn't what I would term a thalassotherapy pool.

but there was a pretty pattern changing fountain that lit up!

I'm sure I've seen people refer to thalassotherpy pools on M class ships but not the S class?

I'm sure I've seen people refer to thalassotherpy pools on M class ships but not the S class?

Yes, I have only seen these on the M-class ships but have only been on a couple of the S-class ships and it didn't exist on either of those (the Equinox and Solstice).

I had only made note of it because the OP asked about the temps on the Solstice and didn't want the comment of the hot pool being mistaken for those on the S-class ships.

Edited by Cruise Raider

Is it true that they removed the down spouts from the Summit therapy pool during the last refit?

Those were the best part of the pool IMHO

(They're the shower pipes in the corners.... great massage for neck and upper back... plus you can fill your bathing suit full of bubbles and scare the natives. :p )

celeb-inf-solarium.jpg

Anything over 85F is too warm, IMO....unless, of course, it's cool out! I use the pools for cooling off...if it's not hot, I don't feel a need to get wet! Pools are really meant for getting wet...not so much for actual swimming!