Flat White coffees on Princess Cruises down under???

FunforGin

Hi I absolutely LOVE flat white coffees and I know it's a very kiwi way to have coffee and possibly in Australia too but probably not many other places, soooo I was wondering if the International Cafe serves flat whites on cruises around Australia and New Zealand?:confused:

Be aware that they use UHT milk onboard and that can taste a bit nasty if oversteamed. I usually drink lattes but switch to espresso onboard as I don't like the taste of the milk.

Here's the cafe menu from our Dawn Princess cruise last August.

2015-08-28%2009.05.07_zpsc4gmndmn.jpg

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Yay! Soooo happy to see flat whites on the coffee menu! Will probably ask for an extra shot and hopefully that will mask the UHT milk flavour.

Tony don't know if you will ever see them in Dunkin Donuts but if you head down under you gotta give them a go....they're kinda like a cappuccino but with a lot less froth.

On the Golden Princess around South America last year, only one staff member could make a flat white. His last contract was on the Sea Princess out of Australia, so we spoke the same coffee language :cool:

Very few baristas can make a flat white; in most cases you end up with a cappuccino without the chocolate on top! They seem to use the froth from the milk as well which is not a proper flat white. For those who want to know a true flat white has these characteristics:

For purists there is a lot to a flat white. Including:

1. Velvet micro-foam instead of stiff froth.

2. Medium size, bigger than a macchiato or cortado but smaller than a latte.

3. Double shot so the coffee does most of the talking, not the milk.

4. Free poured milk so that the foam is folded through the whole drink and there is no discernable layer separation between liquid coffee and foam.

Edited by Aussieflyer

Wow I never heard of Flat White Coffee :eek: But I will try it if I ever see it at Dunkin Donuts.

Tony

Tony, Starbucks offers a flat white. It is made with ristretto shots, which are a different way of pulling an espresso shot that makes it a bit sweeter, and half and half instead of the standard 2% milk you would get in a latte or cappuccino. I'm not a fan of milk so I stick to my americanos, but a lot of my friends like them.

Well I have a question and I am hoping since this thread is basically for us coffee LOVERS , someone can answer.

I am wondering if what I order at Starbucks everyday, is a drink that can be ordered on Princess , like the flat white or Will it be unknown to non-starbucks people.

I order a .... decaf iced cafe Americano with classic syrup

( basically I am looking for a iced coffee that is decaf, unlike a iced latte which is topped off with milk and way to milky , Iced cafe Americano is an espresso shot topped with water and by ordering the syrup I don't have to try to incorporate sugar into cold coffee)

Any thoughts ???

Edited by newcruzer2

Well I have a question and I am hoping since this thread is basically for us coffee LOVERS , someone can answer.

I am wondering if what I order at Starbucks everyday, is a drink that can be ordered on Princess , like the flat white or Will it be unknown to non-starbucks people.

( basically I am looking for a iced coffee that is decaf, unlike a iced latte which is topped off with milk and way to milky , Iced cafe Americano is an espresso shot topped with water and by ordering the syrup I don't have to try to incorporate sugar into cold coffee)

Any thoughts ???��

It would depend on if they have decaf espresso. I can't say because I have never tried to order it on a ship. I would think they have classic syrup. Or, and I know it isn't the same being an americano lover myself, you could order a decaf coffee, add sugar, then pour it over ice.

Update: I googled it and as of 2014 they did have decaf espresso so it appears you would be able to order one!

Edited by PghCruiseGrrrl
Update

Coffee taste is very subjective, however I found the coffee on the Golden princess sailing from Melbourne early this year, tasteless and stale. I am used to fresh Italian espresso coffee so the ship's coffee was unpalatable for me. I tried the espresso and the filter. Next trip I will bring my own coffee and just ask for hot water.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Coffee taste is very subjective, however I found the coffee on the Golden princess sailing from Melbourne early this year, tasteless and stale. I am used to fresh Italian espresso coffee so the ship's coffee was unpalatable for me. I tried the espresso and the filter. Next trip I will bring my own coffee and just ask for hot water.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

You are right about being subjective, my DH found the dark roast undrinkable on CB.

The espresso based drinks being on the aibp was a huge factor for us getting it, as I would drink coffee and coffee drinks ALL day instead of food or alcohol. But nothing beats a great dark roast and Bailey's :) :)

Any thoughts ???��

The baristas onboard arent toooo starbucks savvy. What I would do, is order 2-3 shots of decaf espresso, over ice. (ice melts a bit for the americano) add sugar and more ice.

I like americanos with a splash of soy and a pump of mocha. They kept making me iced chocolate mocha soy lattes.. WAY too milky and WAY too sweet. But break it down step by step and they will do it :)