When is final payment due

lstrong

Generally on a 7 day cruise? Hoping to book a cabin on the westerdam to Mexico after final payment. Yes hoping to find a discounted cabin from my home port. We did a spendy 14 day Alaska cruise already this year, but so need a quick get away to look forward to. Thanks for any insight, Laurie

Generally on a 7 day cruise?
It's not the cruise length but the itinerary that determines the final payment date:

Caribbean; Panama Canal; Mexico; Canada & New England; Pacific Coastal; Pacific Northwest; Alaska and Alaska Land+Sea Journeys; Europe (except Prinsendam Europe, 30+ day Transatlantic and segments of 30+ day Transatlantic) and 27-day or less Hawaii sailings

are all 75 days, except if it's over Christmas/New-Years, when it becomes 90 days, or a segment of a World Cruise, when it becomes 120 days.

Generally on a 7 day cruise? Hoping to book a cabin on the westerdam to Mexico after final payment. Yes hoping to find a discounted cabin from my home port. We did a spendy 14 day Alaska cruise already this year, but so need a quick get away to look forward to. Thanks for any insight, Laurie

I don't know whether you'll need flights as well, but what you might save in cruise fare may be eaten up by higher airfare.

I don't know whether you'll need flights as well, but what you might save in cruise fare may be eaten up by higher airfare.
OP said:

Yes hoping to find a discounted cabin from my home port.

(of San Diego)

Edited by jtl513

Another consideration is if you want to take advantage of HAL’s "Cancel For Any Reason" insurance, the payment for the insurance must be made at least one day prior to the final payment date.

We did have one instance on our last cruise where the insurance payment had to be made a month prior to final payment, although that is the one and only time I have seen that requirement. I just happened to notice the early payment notice and made a mental note to check that point carefully from now on.

Another consideration is if you want to take advantage of HAL’s "Cancel For Any Reason" insurance, the payment for the insurance must be made at least one day prior to the final payment date.

Interesting. Do you happen to know if you can still purchase CFAR at the time of booking if you book after the final payment date? I just checked HAL's site and didn't see any reference to this. I can't believe they wouldn't want to sell insurance to last-minute bookers at all.

Interesting. Do you happen to know if you can still purchase CFAR at the time of booking if you book after the final payment date? I just checked HAL's site and didn't see any reference to this. I can't believe they wouldn't want to sell insurance to last-minute bookers at all.

Quoting from HAL's printed description of the plan:

The Standard and Platinum Cancellation Protection plans are optional and available for purchase prior to the date on which cancellation fees begin to accrue.

----------------

Since cancellation penalties begin to accrue after the final payment date I would say that answers your question.

Edited by sapper1

We did have one instance on our last cruise where the insurance payment had to be made a month prior to final payment, although that is the one and only time I have seen that requirement. I just happened to notice the early payment notice and made a mental note to check that point carefully from now on.

Good point sapper1. When cruises are longer than 30 days or on particular cruises cancellation penalties and availability to book insurance click in sooner. I remember you posting on our roll call. I think it was around 120 days out.

Worth checking for sure :)

Edited by kazu

Quoting from HAL's printed description of the plan:

The Standard and Platinum Cancellation Protection plans are optional and available for purchase prior to the date on which cancellation fees begin to accrue.

----------------

Since cancellation penalties begin to accrue after the final payment date I would say that answers your question.

Thanks for finding this. I was wondering as I have been considering a September '16 cruise (well past final payment date). In doing a mock booking on the HAL site for one cruise it allowed me to add Platinum Protection, but it wouldn't let me do it for another cruise the same week. I guess it is a glitch in the system.