Canned Salmon??

CanuckinSMA

Several years ago my brother went salmon fishing in Alaska and was able to have his catch(es) smoked and canned and shipped me 2 dozen cans. It was fantastic! I'm wondering if there's a place on any of our stops (Vancouver RT) where we might be able to buy a dozen cans to take home?? I'm assuming there wouldn't be any problems bringing them to Canada. Or even if there's a place where they would ship them to Ontario for us? Thanks!

Several years ago my brother went salmon fishing in Alaska and was able to have his catch(es) smoked and canned and shipped me 2 dozen cans. It was fantastic! I'm wondering if there's a place on any of our stops (Vancouver RT) where we might be able to buy a dozen cans to take home?? I'm assuming there wouldn't be any problems bringing them to Canada. Or even if there's a place where they would ship them to Ontario for us? Thanks!

There are plenty of places that sell canned salmon to ship home. In Ketchikan, try the fish house, or the shops up Creek Street sell them as well. Most have samples out to try before deciding.

The canned, smoked, salmon makes a great dip.

Smoked salmon is way more common in vacuum sealed retort pouches. If Vancouver is like Seattle they will be in any grocery store - usually boxed. Reminds me I need to get a box for our Realtor back in MN who sold the house there in 2 days and took care of a LOT of cleanup details. Makes a great thank you gift.

Canned salmon is usually just chunks packed in the can and "cooked" in the can before sealing. Grew up on that stuff in Seattle because it was so cheap. :cool: Salmon loaf twice a week. But I suppose they could can smoked salmon as well. Sounds like the smoking & canning was a special service of the fishing charter.

Check out: Alaska Seafood Company in Juneau. They do have canned smoked salmon.

Here is their retail on-line site: http://www.alaskacannery.com/ A dozen cans from $74 to $95 (US) depending on species.

Edited by Sequim88

Just buy smoked salmon in Costco or supermarkets locally - you can easily find smoked sockeye as well as the Scottish/Norwegian Atlantic salmon products. Unless you actually catch it yourself and arrange for a custom smoke there's just no point in going to any trouble finding it and shipping it home.

Smoked salmon is way more common in vacuum sealed retort pouches. If Vancouver is like Seattle they will be in any grocery store - usually boxed. Reminds me I need to get a box for our Realtor back in MN who sold the house there in 2 days and took care of a LOT of cleanup details. Makes a great thank you gift.

Canned salmon is usually just chunks packed in the can and "cooked" in the can before sealing. Grew up on that stuff in Seattle because it was so cheap. :cool: Salmon loaf twice a week. But I suppose they could can smoked salmon as well. Sounds like the smoking & canning was a special service of the fishing charter.

Check out: Alaska Seafood Company in Juneau. They do have canned smoked salmon.

Here is their retail on-line site: http://www.alaskacannery.com/ A dozen cans from $74 to $95 (US) depending on species.

I like plain old Bumble bee cabbed salmon if I want a salmon salad sandwhich.

Edited by sail7seas

Another vote for Salmon Etc in Ketchikan. USPS has a flat rate box from the US to Canada for $45.95 for a box this size: 13-5/8" x 11-7/8" x 3-3/8" or 11" x 8-1/2" x 5-1/2" Maximum weight 20 pounds.

Not sure how duty and taxes might be applied once it arrives in Canada but you need to know that I just paid $46 duty on a $100 US item ..... :eek:

I don't think you can use your duty free exemption on items that you ship. You might be better off to carry the salmon with you, split among several suitcases.

For years I have been buying packets of smoked salmon from Salmon, Etc. located in Ketchikan.

I have them shipped to our house.

My go to place for salmon. They have a WEB site. You do not have to go to AK to get stuff from them.

DON

Another vote for Salmon Etc in Ketchikan. USPS has a flat rate box from the US to Canada for $45.95 for a box this size: 13-5/8" x 11-7/8" x 3-3/8" or 11" x 8-1/2" x 5-1/2" Maximum weight 20 pounds.

Not sure how duty and taxes might be applied once it arrives in Canada but you need to know that I just paid $46 duty on a $100 US item ..... :eek:

I don't think you can use your duty free exemption on items that you ship. You might be better off to carry the salmon with you, split among several suitcases.

Yes you can include items that you ship, in your duty free allowance. There is a question on your form regarding anything that isn't accompanying you. You will do the paperwork when you return home. I think they give you a copy of the form, so that when you receive your item you don't have to pay any duty. And if by chance it gets messed up and you have to pay, you can send the paperwork in for a refund.

Edited by OVgirl

I bought canned smoked salmon at one of the stores on Creek Street in Ketchikan. A couple of the stores had samples out for people to try.

It was delicious and I wish I had bought more than I did.

Can't figure out why people do not do simple Google searches to find what they need -

http://www.salmonetc.com/ in Ketchikan.

http://www.takustore.com/ in Juneau.

http://www.indianvalleymeats.com/index.htm between Anchorage and Seward - best for pickup

We buy from all three of them. It is the same stuff that you can buy in the store.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

Yes you can include items that you ship, in your duty free allowance. There is a question on your form regarding anything that isn't accompanying you. You will do the paperwork when you return home. I think they give you a copy of the form, so that when you receive your item you don't have to pay any duty. And if by chance it gets messed up and you have to pay, you can send the paperwork in for a refund.

Thanks for that information :)

I prefer in Juneau Taku Smoked Salmon, while it is a bit pricery the tast is far better than any others I have tried. I buy it in the glass jars rather than canned or in pouches. I have never liked the taste of any fish in the pouches. I was last in Alaska in May 2015 and still enjoying my Taku Salmon I purchased in Juneau, yet bought quite a few jars :D

http://www.takustore.com/ in Juneau.

http://www.takustore.com/Salmon-Jars/products/44/

Edited by LAFFNVEGAS