Free gratuities or latitude points?

Coarsegold_Mom

We have reservations for a 9 day trip in April. We are staying in the Haven and we booked a few months ago. We have all 5 perks from the last promo and since we booked more than 9 months out, we will also get the extra latitude points. My question is what would you rather have - the extra 9 nights in latitude points or free gratuities? If I switch to the new promo, I will lose my extra latitude points for booking early. We have only been on 2 NCL cruises so we only have 14 latitude points right now. However w/ this cruise we will add 18 or 27 points. What would you do?

I would go for the gratuities.

I am platinum latitudes and I'm really not that impressed. The friend that is my recent cruising partner just hit gold and he's very excited. Meh.

There had been talk a few months ago of revising the latitudes program where there were higher booking discounts depending on the latitudes level. Haven't heard anything recently. I personally believe the perks have diminished as there seem to be more and more higher level members.

We have reservations for a 9 day trip in April. We are staying in the Haven and we booked a few months ago. We have all 5 perks from the last promo and since we booked more than 9 months out, we will also get the extra latitude points. My question is what would you rather have - the extra 9 nights in latitude points or free gratuities? If I switch to the new promo, I will lose my extra latitude points for booking early. We have only been on 2 NCL cruises so we only have 14 latitude points right now. However w/ this cruise we will add 18 or 27 points. What would you do?

I reached Platinum last year. You can look at NCL's web site to see a chart of what each level gets you. Before all the recent changes I was so excited to reach this level because it meant something.

Now, I'd be all about the gratuities. Worth much more than 9 points!

We have only been on 2 NCL cruises so we only have 14 latitude points right now. However w/ this cruise we will add 18 or 27 points. What would you do?

14 + 18 = 32

14 + 27 = 41

Bronze 1 - 19

Silver 20 - 47

Gold 48 - 75

Platinum 76+

You'll be silver after this cruise either way. If the price of the cruise is still the same, take the gratuities.

Look at it this way. Losing the latitudes points may delay you becoming platinum by one cruise. Therefore, the cost to you will basically be a dinner for two plus wine (and some horrible fizzy wine on embarkation) and a bag of laundry (assuming those things are things that you would pay for anyway). You may view it differently, but for us things like the strawberries and shorter check in queue are nice, but not something that makes much real difference.

I can't see any way that the value of platinum benefits for one cruise would come to more than free gratuities does, unless the behind the scenes tour is really important to you.

I don't really see any of the benefits for gold or lower as being enough to influence a decision like this.

Edited by KeithJenner

Had the same decision and chose the free gratuities after looking at the tier level benefits. We will be missing platinum at the end of the b2b by 1 point!

You mentioned you are in the Haven, we are also in the Haven for this trip and that had bearing on our decision, which included all the points Keith Jenner cited:

Access - Haven has priority boarding

The platinum dinner -- a nice perk , especially as the number of promotion meals were decreased to 3 but for this cruise, the Haven restaurant is excellent and feels like you are dining in a specialty restaurant every night. We will look forward to the platinum dinner on our next non-Haven cruise - it will make it feel special.

The wine - a bottle of the mentioned horrible fizzy wine will be in your Haven cabin. Your butler will, at your request, change it to equally bad red wine (or white but I can't comment on its' quality)

The strawberries- you will get plenty of snacks, including chocolate covered strawberries, in the Haven

The laundry - there is a mid week $19.99 promo you can take advantage of -- deducting this optional expense from the benefit of the free gratuities - you will still be ahead, especially if you chose to provide an extra tip to your room steward.

Behind the scenes tour - have experienced it on other cruise lines. Didn't factor into decision as we didn't remember it was an option.

For all the above reasons, swapping the shore credit for gratuities and delaying platinum was an easy decision for us.

Whichever you decide, have a wonderful cruise!

I also had to make this decision, giving up 14 latitude bonus points by trading internet for paid gratuities and a $200 price drop. Grats saved $378 plus the $200 drop saved $578, adding back internet will cost me either $75 or $125 depending on which package I purchase. For cost analysis I figure I gave up $125, so for giving up the latitude points I get $453. I would have turned platinum, but it only makes it 8 points before I get the extra benefits. I took the money.

Oh, also minus two dollars as for some reason port & gov taxes went up.

Edited by Até

We re booked too. But that cruise is still 1.5 years out.

However, I am wondering if ALL cruises are eligible for the "Book 9 month out get double points" thing. I had read/heard that they changed that "perk" and was only available for the Latitudes Insider cruises.

Can someone clarify this?

I am Platinum since 2012 and not even counting the points anymore. I do enjoy the Platinum perks.

However, I am wondering if ALL cruises are eligible for the "Book 9 month out get double points" thing. I had read/heard that they changed that "perk" and was only available for the Latitudes Insider cruises.

That's two separate offers. All cruises are eligible for the 9-month bonus (well, I am sure there are some weird types of bookings that are excluded). Selected sailings are eligible for the Insider Offer bonus every month. And the two offers can be combined, so if you book an Insider Offer 9 months in advance, you get 2 extra points. (It's always one extra point, or two or three extra points per day, it's never "double points".) Edited by hawkeyetlse