EZ Check ... a cautionary tale!

BigGuy25

This was my own fault. We often use EZ Check, but usually take cruises that are 10+ days long. We just returned yesterday from a fabulous 7-day Alaskan cruise. We left on Saturday and got our EZ Check forms on Sunday. Monday was our first port day and I didn't get to filling out my form until Tuesday morning (still a LONG way from the end of our cruise). It wasn't until I got to the bottom of the form that I saw, in small print, it was due by 6pm Monday evening ... so I filled it out and rushed down to passenger services by 9am. I was told "too late, it was due last night, you missed the deadline." There was no flexibility. I wasn't alone. Several other unhappy passengers were there the same time I was. As I said, this was my fault. If I had read the entire form when it arrived I likely would have seen the date. But, who's thinking about de-embarkation just 24 hours after boarding. My suggestion to Princess was to make sure, in large print (and in the Patter), at the TOP of the form, that they make guests aware of the early deadline if they want this service. So, I'm writing this just to remind others to check the due date as soon as the form arrives!! It's a great service and I was so disappointed not to be able to use it.

This was my own fault. We often use EZ Check, but usually take cruises that are 10+ days long. We just returned yesterday from a fabulous 7-day Alaskan cruise. We left on Saturday and got our EZ Check forms on Sunday. Monday was our first port day and I didn't get to filling out my form until Tuesday morning (still a LONG way from the end of our cruise). It wasn't until I got to the bottom of the form that I saw, in small print, it was due by 6pm Monday evening ... so I filled it out and rushed down to passenger services by 9am. I was told "too late, it was due last night, you missed the deadline." There was no flexibility. I wasn't alone. Several other unhappy passengers were there the same time I was. As I said, this was my fault. If I had read the entire form when it arrived I likely would have seen the date. But, who's thinking about de-embarkation just 24 hours after boarding. My suggestion to Princess was to make sure, in large print (and in the Patter), at the TOP of the form, that they make guests aware of the early deadline if they want this service. So, I'm writing this just to remind others to check the due date as soon as the form arrives!! It's a great service and I was so disappointed not to be able to use it.

I bet it will not happen again.

I never received the form on my 10-day Royal Princess cruise in April. A couple of nights before disembarking, I went to the PSD to ask when it would be distributed. "Oh, it was sent out days ago." Believe me, I was looking for it and never received it. They gave me the forms for me and my sister (separate cabin and she didn't receive it either), I filled them out immediately and turned them in within fifteen minutes of leaving the desk. Fortunately, all was well and they accepted the late forms.

So, look for the forms and don't procrastinate asking about them. There's no guarantee you'll get them.

I never received the form on my 10-day Royal Princess cruise in April. A couple of nights before disembarking, I went to the PSD to ask when it would be distributed. "Oh, it was sent out days ago." Believe me, I was looking for it and never received it. They gave me the forms for me and my sister (separate cabin and she didn't receive it either), I filled them out immediately and turned them in within fifteen minutes of leaving the desk. Fortunately, all was well and they accepted the late forms.

So, look for the forms and don't procrastinate asking about them. There's no guarantee you'll get them.

Thanks Pam that's good to know.

Tony

Having never sailed on Princess, I have no idea what EZ Check is. Can someone enlighten me?

At a participating port with a participating airline you sign up onboard for the bag program. Princess will supply you with airline bag tags. You put your bags out the night before disembarkation as usual with airline tags they supply. The bag(s) will be sent to the airport and placed on your flight so you wont see it until you get back to your home airport bag claim.

At a participating port with a participating airline you sign up onboard for the bag program. Princess will supply you with airline bag tags. You put your bags out the night before disembarkation as usual with airline tags they supply. The bag(s) will be sent to the airport and placed on your flight so you wont see it until you get back to your home airport bag claim.

Thanks -- It should have dawned on me! :o Holland America (and I'm sure most other lines) has a similar program that goes by a different name.

Not sure about Pacific Princess. But we used it before on Royal Princess in Ft. Lauderdale with Southwest Airline as participating airline.

Just to add another wrinkle is just because a port, ship, and airline usually participate it is not always offered due to logistics. After a TA ending in FLL on the Emerald we were told it was not offered for our cruise.

I imagine it is because it was the first port of entry into the USA for the ship and crew and everyone had to go through immigration, they could not offer EZ Check due to the added red tape.

Edited by Dudleydog73

Just to add another wrinkle is just because a port, ship, and airline usually participate it is not always offered due to logistics. After a TA ending in FLL on the Emerald we were told it was not offered for our cruise.

I imagine it is because it was the first port of entry into the USA for the ship and crew and everyone had to go through immigration, they could not offer EZ Check due to the added red tape.

In my experience, it also isn't offered on short cruises. We did a 7 day then a 5 day from FLL back to back, and were disappointed to find that EZ check isn't offered on 5-days. The PSD said there isn't enough time on a 5 day cruise to get the paperwork back and forth with the airlines.

Thanks -- It should have dawned on me! :o Holland America (and I'm sure most other lines) has a similar program that goes by a different name.

The Holland program is called Luggage Direct. I don't know about Luggage Direct, but one other advantage that is, or at least used to be and I assume still is, available with EZ-Check is that if you have an overweight bag that would normally be charged an overweight fee, that fee is not charged if you used EZ-Check.

Tom

FYI: Some ships will not send an EZ Check form to your cabin if you don't fill in your flight information on the Personalizer.

I was on the Royal Princess and never got the form. I went to ask about it and was told I missed the deadline. I expressed my sincere desire to have EZ Check. She looked up my account and said it was likely I didn't provide my flight info to them. I couldn't remember if I did or not, but it was possible. I thought they sent out the form to everyone. Fortunately, she gave me the form and said they'd do everything they could to make it work out. I did get the EZ check and I was happy. I'm not sure if they only do this on the biggest ships or is this is standard for all ships. Now, I make sure to provide my flight info.

The Holland program is called Luggage Direct. I don't know about Luggage Direct, but one other advantage that is, or at least used to be and I assume still is, available with EZ-Check is that if you have an overweight bag that would normally be charged an overweight fee, that fee is not charged if you used EZ-Check.

For some, the overweight provision is the reason for using EZ Check