Anyone ever Upgrade Cabin on Embarkation Day ???

dales wife

Embarking SKY today!

Last Thursday I called Upsell cause I saw there were lots of balcony's left in inventory, which she verified, but said they had nothing to offer at the moment, but call back on Friday. I called back but they said the ship was sold out! Is it possible that many cabins sold that quickly? Or perhaps Gty rooms were assigned / shifted (whatever they do).

Whatever the reason, now I've been wondering if "sold out" really means "sold out"? Anyone have an experience with upgrading on embarkation day (either at check-in or guest services)? If not, we will be happy in our inside cabin, cause We're Going On A Cruise Today!!!

I've never seen them try to sell an upgrade during check in. I have seen other passengers inquire, both times I saw this the representative claimed that, "we always sail full." Seems hard to believe, but I think if you want an upgrade you should try calling the upsell department one last time before you head to port to check in.

I've never seen them try to sell an upgrade during check in. I have seen other passengers inquire, both times I saw this the representative claimed that, "we always sail full." Seems hard to believe, but I think if you want an upgrade you should try calling the upsell department one last time before you head to port to check in.

Totally agree calling ahead of time..

I am certain they keep a few cabins for emergencies. We were flooded in our cabin on carnival the first night. Gave us several options in the same cabin class. Seen people move to another cabin on NCL. Not to better the self but due to a problem.

In my wildest of dreams I don't see them giving away the better cabins and then something happening (like the flooded cabin we had) and then downgrading the person being displaced.

Thanks! Will try that. Sometimes they're not very nice over there but I'm going to call and see what happens.

Totally agree calling ahead of time..

I am certain they keep a few cabins for emergencies. We were flooded in our cabin on carnival the first night. Gave us several options in the same cabin class. Seen people move to another cabin on NCL. Not to better the self but due to a problem.

In my wildest of dreams I don't see them giving away the better cabins and then something happening (like the flooded cabin we had) and then downgrading the person being displaced.

That makes sense. Thanks!

Dales wife, would you be able to please take pictures of current menus, dailies, etc and post them here afterwards for the benefit of we poor souls who don't cruise until later in the year? Sky seems to be the hardest ship to get info for... Thanks!!!

Embarking SKY today!

Last Thursday I called Upsell cause I saw there were lots of balcony's left in inventory, which she verified, but said they had nothing to offer at the moment, but call back on Friday. I called back but they said the ship was sold out! Is it possible that many cabins sold that quickly? Or perhaps Gty rooms were assigned / shifted (whatever they do).

Whatever the reason, now I've been wondering if "sold out" really means "sold out"? Anyone have an experience with upgrading on embarkation day (either at check-in or guest services)? If not, we will be happy in our inside cabin, cause We're Going On A Cruise Today!!!

I have not been able to do this since around 2008 / 2009.

Dales wife, would you be able to please take pictures of current menus, dailies, etc and post them here afterwards for the benefit of we poor souls who don't cruise until later in the year? Sky seems to be the hardest ship to get info for... Thanks!!!

It is the hardest ship, I couldn't find much either! I will do my best - and will figure out how to post pics when I get back.

I have not been able to do this since around 2008 / 2009.

Yeah, I did call upsell this morning and she actually sounded like she was checking. (Hope!!!) But then said she can't do that on the day of sailing. I asked if she knew if they can do it at Guest Services. She told me the ship is completely sold out.

Soooooo I just might check at Guest Services to see. At this point, I just want to know for future reference!

We are just arriving at cruise terminal now. (Uber driver got a little turned around getting us here). Excited to try out this smaller Norwegian ship!!! :)

Hard to believe they are sold out. Just got off this morning and honestly the ship was empty. I wouldn't think it would be much different for the 4 day right now. I'm guessing that maybe they just don't do that anymore.

Edited by redfantum

Embarking SKY today!

It's a thing of the past.

I called back but they said the ship was sold out! Is it possible that many cabins sold that quickly?

One of the employment perks of working for a cruise line is free cruises. But the catch is it's on standby waitlist.

Cruiselines close the sailings and clear employee comp waitlists 72 to 48 hours before the sailing date.

NCL's headquarters, with close to 1000 employees, is in Miami and the 3/4 day Sky cruises are are a popular last minute ship with waiting lists of 25 - 40 employees not unusual.

The same scenario applies to Miami / Ft Lauderdale based Carnival and Royal Caribbean ships.

One of the employment perks of working for a cruise line is free cruises. But the catch is it's on standby waitlist.

Cruiselines close the sailings and clear employee comp waitlists 72 to 48 hours before the sailing date.

NCL's headquarters, with close to 1000 employees, is in Miami and the 3/4 day Sky cruises are are a popular last minute ship with waiting lists of 25 - 40 employees not unusual.

The same scenario applies to Miami / Ft Lauderdale based Carnival and Royal Caribbean ships.

Wow! That's interesting. I never thought of that before!

Here are the Sky Dailies from the July 4 cruise.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8FQ9u69TeoCTzN3SDJQV2dndHc/view

Embarking SKY today!

have tried a few times, not only on NCL and know others who have as well: It is almost impossible to get an upgrade or upsell after boarding. One time, about 20 years ago we did get one, but not to any great cabin, just a slightly better location.

If there are lots of families with 3-4 in each cabin, they certainly CAN have empty cabins...and still be "sold out". There are more beds than passengers allowed, due to lifeboat capacity. There is a finite number allowed...once that number is reach, they can sell no more space.