Nz Cruise: Celebrity or Azamara?

Hello,

Not sure this is the right place to post my question but I'll start here.

I'm considering doing a 14d NZ cruise in Feb 2018, wither with Azmara (Feb 8th) or Celebrity (Feb 3rd).Has anyone done both Celebrity and Azamara and can comment on how one compares to the other.

Azamara (standard Veranda) would be roughly 35% more expensive than an Aqua Class (already booked with 2 perks and some OC), which gives access to the Blu restaurant

Been wondering about doing a more upscale cruise on a smaller ship and Azamara comes as an option. Not sure how dining compares (big thing for us), expecting a lot there but then again we will have access to Blu (more upscale dining option for Aqaua class passengers) on Celebrity . Wondering if the smaller ships won't feel too small? And also like the casual dining and wondering if Azamara won't feel too dressy?

Regarding itinerary: I noticed that Azamara will have less ports but more time at some ports. Not sure how important it is at these specific ones (Tasmania, Dundin and Napier). However it will miss Melbourn that Celebrity does and that I would like to see (maybe as a pre-cruise if that's doable from Sydney?)

Thanks for your advice

We did the Celebrity Solstice last year on the NZ to Aus cruise. The Solstice is a lovely ship, and would sail on it again anytime as we had a great time. The one criticism of the Solstice is that the dining room was kind of noisy. We had a standard veranda room which was pretty darn nice.

Celebrity has now gotten rid of formal nights. Instead they have "Evening Chic" nights which I personally like much better.

Sorry can't help with Azamara.

Edited by jasmith52

Thanks for the answers

Yes I have sailed 4 times on Celebrity and like their ships and style. So no worries about doing it again. But at some point want to try the smaller ships as well. I know they will be more expensive. And see if people who did both compare the experience and think if it's worth it

Thanks

Thanks for the answers

Yes I have sailed 4 times on Celebrity and like their ships and style. So no worries about doing it again. But at some point want to try the smaller ships as well. I know they will be more expensive. And see if people who did both compare the experience and think if it's worth it

Thanks

Do a price comparison and see how much more Azamara may provide (dependent on cabin category). Personally I would do the Solstice, it is my favourite ship but the larger ship in these waters (Bass Strait and Tasman Sea) has an advantage as well as giving you Melbourne. Good luck with your decision.

Having cruised around NZ on Celebrity Century (a small ship), I would say NZ is the star, with lots of ports of call, so I wouldn't pay extra for a ship, on a NZ cruise.

Now, if the cruise was to lots of islands (with little infrastructure) and lots of sea days, then the more expensive ship, with all it offers, could be better value.

I dream of cruising on Azamara up SE Asia rivers.

Have been on both lines. Did an Australia and New Zealand cruise on the Solstice. Very enjoyable. Fellow passengers very nice. Dining and entertainment fine. Our Azamara cruise was Baltic and Russia. It also was very enjoyable. Food and passengers on par with Celebrity. However entertainment was lacking. We enjoyed Azamara but really don't think it is worth 35% more money than Celebrity. However which either you choose will be wonderful!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Regarding itinerary: I noticed that Azamara will have less ports but more time at some ports. Not sure how important it is at these specific ones (Tasmania, Dundin and Napier). However it will miss Melbourne that Celebrity does and that I would like to see (maybe as a pre-cruise if that's doable from Sydney?)

You could easily fill in more time in Tasmania, but I do not see the value of extra time in Dunedin or in Napier. A few hours is enough for Napier and one day is plenty for Dunedin.

You ask about Melbourne being doable from Sydney. You would need to fly and spend a day or two in Melbourne. It would not be worth driving the distance when you would have limited time.

Thinking about the Dunedin overnight.

If you were considering the Milford - Dunedin overland excursion (assuming Azamara were offering this) then that could make it a 2 night excursion.

If that were the case, it would be a lot better than the normal one nighter which some people do on other cruise lines.