What ended up happening with the "one service a day" issue?

AdoraBelle

So you still think this is something the stewards are doing on their own?

[ATTACH]394129[/ATTACH]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, either it's something that's getting lost in translation due to their different languages spoke, or some room stewards are trying to do the best they can given their overloaded work load and are trying to lighten their load. I think it all started when Carnival was trying to give their customers choices because many people are quite happy with only once a day service. Carnival also realizes many people still want to feel pampered and want it twice a day. So, everyone has a choice and needs to take a proactive approach if they are getting incorrect information from their stewards and either talk to the housekeeping manager or guest services if they aren't satisfied with what their steward is telling them. It's not a policy that the steward only service each room once a day.

I don't think the stewards are doing this on their own.

Carnival is cutting back everywhere and doubling workloads. So, this is a way to help ease the stewards' pain, but it will be met with resistance by entitled cruisers. If it doesn't work, who is to blame? Yep, the poor steward...

On our 5 day cruise out of Charleston, the room steward introduced himself the first afternoon. He had a printed paper in his hand that had various things on it. He asked if we wanted the room done in the morning or in the evening. We chose morning. Then he asked if we wanted robes. There were no robes in the closet. We said no thank you. Then he asked if we need more pillows, blankets, ice, or towels. Again we said we were fine.

The towel animals were on our bed in the morning after our room was cleaned.

The fun times was placed on the bed in the evening for the next day. No room service was done and we did not expect any since we chose morning service.

We turned platinum this cruise and enjoyed the little perks that came with it. The change of service or services does not influence how we enjoy cruising.

And People who express the same mindset as you is what Carnival is Hoping and Banking on!!!

Mike

Carnival is cutting back everywhere and doubling workloads. So, this is a way to help ease the stewards' pain, but it will be met with resistance by entitled cruisers. If it doesn't work, who is to blame? Yep, the poor steward...

Examples?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No, I'm smart enough to blame the cruise company.

Then how do you explain people sailing on the same ship who have different experiences with different room stewards. Did a couple of the Stewards get the message and the others didn't? I sailed on the Dream after this was rolled out. My room steward had the form and told us we could have AM, PM, or Both. We chose PM with extra towels and he emphasized with us that we could have both. So was he doing this on his own or are the Stewards who are saying you can only have one or the other doing it on their own? I've read it happening both ways on the same ships, especially on the Dream which we sailed on. Either Carnival is not getting the right point across in their training to all room stewards or some stewards are taking things into their own hands. I couldn't tell you which way it is....I can only tell you my experience.

Then how do you explain people sailing on the same ship who have different experiences with different room stewards. Did a couple of the Stewards get the message and the others didn't? I sailed on the Dream after this was rolled out. My room steward had the form and told us we could have AM, PM, or Both. We chose PM with extra towels and he emphasized with us that we could have both. So was he doing this on his own or are the Stewards who are saying you can only have one or the other doing it on their own? I've read it happening both ways on the same ships, especially on the Dream which we sailed on. Either Carnival is not getting the right point across in their training to all room stewards or some stewards are taking things into their own hands. I couldn't tell you which way it is....I can only tell you my experience.

It is clear to me that training of staff of new procedures (especially when significant from a change perspective) takes time. Good examples of this is the move to American Table, it takes time. Secondly and as important, this discussed item is a trial, that started with four ships and then expanded to additional ships. The ramifications of how individual room stewards "ask" the question on what is preferred is significant I think the bugs to this process are still being worked out.

It is clear to me that a significant part of the population would prefer once a day (despite the thoughts of the conspiracy ideas floated here). I have seen no significant increase in cabin assignments since this pilot/trial started. The increase we have seen happened before this occurred.

It is clear that some room stewards see the upside of presenting the choice in a unique light (to their advantage). I still think that both applies and would not have qualms of expressing it to our room steward when presented.

If you don't think the stewards are doing it on their own, then why are there reports on the same ship, same cruise that some stewards are offering only once a day and some are offering twice a day.

Seems there is no other explanation than there are rogue stewards or stewards who do not understand.

And, as others have said, there is NO POLICY! For those that say there is, show it to me in writing on the website where it is policy.

If you don't think the stewards are doing it on their own, then why are there reports on the same ship, same cruise that some stewards are offering only once a day and some are offering twice a day.

Seems there is no other explanation than there are rogue stewards or stewards who do not understand.

And, as others have said, there is NO POLICY! For those that say there is, show it to me in writing on the website where it is policy.

Show me in the definition of policy (posted above) that a policy has to be in writing for it to be a policy.

Show me in the definition of policy (posted above) that a policy has to be in writing for it to be a policy.

OK - I'll give you that. However, every time it is asked of Carnival or JH, the response is that it is not policy for once a day.

But, my other question still stands. If you don't think it is the stewards doing this on their own (saying must choose AM or PM), then please explain why on the same ship and same sailing different stewards are saying different things?

Hi Jim-

I prefer your posts from your iPad or phone, you're blinding me with the green ink in HUGE FONT SIZE :p

Sorry about the blinding thing, 4 pt font (which I actually much prefer) should not do that, now your 6 point is blinding. ;) If I could figure out a way to do the same from the iPad or iPhone easily, you would really hate me. :) I have had people think I am yelling at them, but I really am not....

I asked for examples and got none, but I will try again. Do you really think that Carnival is selecting just some of the room stewards to ask only am or pm not both and some ask differently?

So, you think there are rogue stewards who are printing up forms with options for once or twice a day service?

Uh, ok...

OK - I'll give you that. However, every time it is asked of Carnival or JH, the response is that it is not policy for once a day.

But, my other question still stands. If you don't think it is the stewards doing this on their own (saying must choose AM or PM), then please explain why on the same ship and same sailing different stewards are saying different things?

It could simply be a training/language issue. Some room stewards might Carnival is saying one per day while others might believe Carnival is saying once or twice per day.

Even when both parties speak the same language and the listener understands what the speaker said, there can still be a comprehension issue. Example:

Somebody new person at Rent-A-Center was giving out my home number as his business number. As the number of messages increased I change the greeting message to ...

"This is not Rent-A-Center. If you leave a message, it will not be returned."

Some people still left message, but my favorite one went something like this ...

Well, I guess you will not return my message, but ... then he left me a message!? :eek: :confused:

So it is possible that all believe that they are providing the correct information.

If our comfort matters to Carnival, and they are able to provide all these wonderful things, why don't they just do it without our having to ask for it? Just clean the room twice a day like they always have. Hang a couple robes in the room. Have some extra pillows or blankets handy if they're needed.

The fact that we have to ask for all these things is an indication that they would rather that we didn't ask for them.

Perhaps if they DID have a written policy there would not be so much confusion: with the crew and on this board. There website still lists nightly turndown service (pictured below) as part of the shipboard experience, but clearly they are at least trying something else and there is no warning of that on the website.

They're doing it this way on purpose. We've seen them do this before; Poorly communicate something and then kill it all together due to lack of interest.

IMG_1473720218.562084.jpg.50d837a597c9f39a85a0239f65e09ba7.jpg

Perhaps if they DID have a written policy there would not be so much confusion: with the crew and on this board. There website still lists nightly turndown service (pictured below) as part of the shipboard experience, but clearly they are at least trying something else and there is no warning of that on the website.

They're doing it this way on purpose. We've seen them do this before; Poorly communicate something and then kill it all together due to lack of interest.

[ATTACH]394166[/ATTACH]

I can see it now in 12 months - JH posting on Facebook some person's email, then his response saying "We have indeed changed our standard service to once daily in all staterooms. Of course you can ask for twice daily service if you wish. Using the cards at the beginning of the cruise, we found that most of our guests preferred this."

If our comfort matters to Carnival, and they are able to provide all these wonderful things, why don't they just do it without our having to ask for it? Just clean the room twice a day like they always have. Hang a couple robes in the room. Have some extra pillows or blankets handy if they're needed.

The fact that we have to ask for all these things is an indication that they would rather that we didn't ask for them.

I'm glad they don't waste putting robes in all of the rooms. We never ever have used, or even touched the robes yet each cruise they have to be laundered. What a waste. More and more people indicate they don't want service twice a day. Why not give people choices? What's the problem with that?

I'm glad they don't waste putting robes in all of the rooms. We never ever have used, or even touched the robes yet each cruise they have to be laundered. What a waste. More and more people indicate they don't want service twice a day. Why not give people choices? What's the problem with that?

I don't think more people are indicating this, rather a vocal minority is getting more vocal on this issue. What's the problem with putting the do not disturb sign on you door when you don't want to be disturbed?

Hey, here's a constructive idea... Hook a little LED outside the room to the key card slot that turns all your on. Would encourage folks to use the slot as intended and then nobody has to do paperwork or be troubled with the do not disturb sign.

Edited by nealstuber