New York Deli to Anthem of the Seas

hallasm

We do a pretty good pastrami and corned beef here in the Chicagoland area:

Max's (Highland Park, Illinois) and Manny's (Chicago, Illinois)

And these are institutions.

BUT, what I would give to have a Katz's or Carnegie in NY! I don't know how authentic the Carnegie in Vegas (Mirage) is, but it was pretty good too.

For NY'ers, how far is Katz's from the Bayonne port. Next month, I have a few hours in between disembarkation and my EWR flight. Wonder if that is doable.

As the crow flies, it's about 8 or 9 miles from Bayonne to Houston Street in Manhattan, where Katz's is located. Not an impossible feat, but your timing would have to work out perfectly ...

I can see taking a taxi through the Holland Tunnel, Houston Street is relatively near by ... run in, get the sandwich ... have the taxi keep the meter running ... then back through the Holland to get back to Bayonne.

A little bit of luck and a brass pair, it can be done ... :)

Michael

Edited by MikeNJ1109

New York doesn't need me to defend it, but their water isn't actually so bad. Bronx Brewery uses it, and the quality of their beer is actually quite decent.

Michael

Didn't say it was bad. More like unique. We have a Jewish bagel shop in town (NYC transplant) and the owner imports NYC water to make his bagels.:D

As the crow flies, it's about 8 or 9 miles from Bayonne to Houston Street in Manhattan, where Katz's is located. Not an impossible feat, but your timing would have to work out perfectly ...

I can see taking a taxi through the Holland Tunnel, Houston Street is relatively near by ... run in, get the sandwich ... have the taxi keep the meter running ... then back through the Holland to get back to Bayonne.

A little bit of luck and a brass pair, it can be done ... :)

Michael

There's hope! Thanks, MikeNJ!

Please, I'm gonna cry...

Grew up in Queens, daddy had a side job delivering bagels to small delis and supermarkets around Brooklyn for a bagel baker. Used to go to the boardwalk for Nathans and knishes and corn on the cob soaking in sugar water...I do have to agree that NYC water is some of the best around and makes delicious bagels.

I agree with you denatravels that asking for pastrami lean is way better than asking for it with mayo LOL!

MikeNJ1109, nice to hear that your shiksa wife has learned the fine art of making chicken soup. My paternal grandmother use to make her own from scratch, and seriously, my mom still talks about how I wanted to take home her garbage since it smelled so good...onions and carrots and greens and chicken bones...OMG!

I have a hard time finding anyone who will eat chopped liver anymore. I love it, my mom was a pro at making it. Now of course, we all shy away from organ meat, and it's just too much prep for her to handle. So the only way I'm getting any is if I hit up a good deli.

I think I'm going to see if we can find a good knish this weekend. I'm craving one now.

Edited by njmomof2

Please, I'm gonna cry...

Grew up in Queens, daddy had a side job delivering bagels to small delis and supermarkets around Brooklyn for a bagel baker. Used to go to the boardwalk for Nathans and knishes and corn on the cob soaking in sugar water...I do have to agree that NYC water is some of the best around and makes delicious bagels.

I agree with you denatravels that asking for pastrami lean is way better than asking for it with mayo LOL!

MikeNJ1109, nice to hear that your shiksa wife has learned the fine art of making chicken soup. My paternal grandmother use to make her own from scratch, and seriously, my mom still talks about how I wanted to take home her garbage since it smelled so good...onions and carrots and greens and chicken bones...OMG!

I have a hard time finding anyone who will eat chopped liver anymore. I love it, my mom was a pro at making it. Now of course, we all shy away from organ meat, and it's just too much prep for her to handle. So the only way I'm getting any is if I hit up a good deli.

I think I'm going to see if we can find a good knish this weekend. I'm craving one now.

Hey, NJMomOf2,

Chopped liver, like everything else, is an acquired skill. The higher the schmaltz content, the better the end product.

I still enjoy it, much to my cardiologists chagrin ... but I have it sparingly, with some chopped onion. It's the only time -- THE ONLY TIME -- that I'll ever eat matzah, as the chopped liver on matzah can't be beat.

Michael

At least in Manalapan, you have some decent kosher style delis around. Up here in Morris County, not so much. I could go to Nana's or Eppes Essen in Livingston from work, but I sorely miss a really good deli.

Here in NJ, there is also a place called Harold's. I know that some of their locations have closed, but they also had the huge deli sandwiches, and served about 1/2 a loaf of good rye on the table so that you could make multiple sandwiches out of the meat.

I love Katz's. Maybe it's the name (being a Katz myself) but to me, that's real Jewish deli!

We occasionally go to Harold's (in the Edison area?). When we go with another couple, the 4 of us usually share a sandwich and a knish, and often have leftovers to take home.

We occasionally go to Harold's (in the Edison area?). When we go with another couple, the 4 of us usually share a sandwich and a knish, and often have leftovers to take home.

If I hadn't been there before, I wouldn't have believed you. I think we had 5 people and ordered two sandwiches-- and yes, we had leftovers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Reading this thread has brought back many wonderful memories of foods past. This Brooklyn gal grew up on these delicacies and I am drooling all over my keyboard thinking of them.

Must say that there were a few cringe worthy moments watching the RCI Deli video. Ketchup on hot dogs and mayo on deli sandwiches?:eek: NEVER! Deli rye should have plenty of caraway seeds. Those pickles did not look like they ever came from a Katz's barrel and who slices them like that?:confused: If you cut them at all, you half or quarter them.

I'm sure they are trying and it might be OK for what it is, but I doubt it will come very close to the real deal. I don't grudge them the size of the sandwiches as there is so much waste on the ship. IF you like the food, get two and put them together. It's been many, many years since I've had my ticket punched by Katz's but I can still conger up the taste in my memory.

The first time I got off the ship at the new port of Falmouth, Jamaica and made my way around the shopping area at the port, I was amazed to find a Nathan's Famous stand there! We always went to Nathan's in Coney and when I was little, the family moved to Coney for the summer. There we'd get different flavored knishes from the specialty stores (cherry cheese anyone?) and they sold round ones from insulated hot boxes on the beach. At the delis, they always had the good square ones on the grill. You could smell a good deli as you approached, at least a half block away. Ahhhhhhhh.

A good while ago, a new place opened in my current area advertising itself as a Jewish Style Deli. I asked if I could get a corned beef club. The waitress looked at me a little strangely and asked if I wanted it on 3 pieces of toast.:eek: OY! I gave up on the club and went with rye. I ordered a knish and it was brought out cut in half and covered in brown gravy!!!!!!!!!!:eek: Needless to say, the place did not last long.

In our home, chopped liver was made with beef liver, not chicken liver. I used to make it but hated dealing with the raw liver. I now make a much healthier version that truly rivals the real deal and is MUCH healthier. It is even served with a grebbin topping.;) Would be happy to share the recipe if any are interested. It's very easy to make.

My last word...about the chicken soup...it's gotta have lots of real fresh dill to make it sing!:D

Reading this thread has brought back many wonderful memories of foods past. This Brooklyn gal grew up on these delicacies and I am drooling all over my keyboard thinking of them.

Must say that there were a few cringe worthy moments watching the RCI Deli video. Ketchup on hot dogs and mayo on deli sandwiches?:eek: NEVER! Deli rye should have plenty of caraway seeds. Those pickles did not look like they ever came from a Katz's barrel and who slices them like that?:confused: If you cut them at all, you half or quarter them.

I'm sure they are trying and it might be OK for what it is, but I doubt it will come very close to the real deal. I don't grudge them the size of the sandwiches as there is so much waste on the ship. IF you like the food, get two and put them together. It's been many, many years since I've had my ticket punched by Katz's but I can still conger up the taste in my memory.

The first time I got off the ship at the new port of Falmouth, Jamaica and made my way around the shopping area at the port, I was amazed to find a Nathan's Famous stand there! We always went to Nathan's in Coney and when I was little, the family moved to Coney for the summer. There we'd get different flavored knishes from the specialty stores (cherry cheese anyone?) and they sold round ones from insulated hot boxes on the beach. At the delis, they always had the good square ones on the grill. You could smell a good deli as you approached, at least a half block away. Ahhhhhhhh.

A good while ago, a new place opened in my current area advertising itself as a Jewish Style Deli. I asked if I could get a corned beef club. The waitress looked at me a little strangely and asked if I wanted it on 3 pieces of toast.:eek: OY! I gave up on the club and went with rye. I ordered a knish and it was brought out cut in half and covered in brown gravy!!!!!!!!!!:eek: Needless to say, the place did not last long.

In our home, chopped liver was made with beef liver, not chicken liver. I used to make it but hated dealing with the raw liver. I now make a much healthier version that truly rivals the real deal and is MUCH healthier. It is even served with a grebbin topping.;) Would be happy to share the recipe if any are interested. It's very easy to make.

My last word...about the chicken soup...it's gotta have lots of real fresh dill to make it sing!:D

This thread has gotten WAY off track, but yes, I'd love to see the recipe!

Where is this New York deli in the windjammer? I am on the ship now, and looked at lunch and did not see anything but the same old food

Forums

My understand is that "the Deli is in a corner of Windjammer".

You might try to ask.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This thread has gotten WAY off track, but yes, I'd love to see the recipe!

You are correct that we got off track, but it was fun for many of us that grew up in NYC talking about some of the great food and memories

Where is this New York deli in the windjammer? I am on the ship now, and looked at lunch and did not see anything but the same old food

Look for the sign that says "Food that Faintly Resembles Something You Might See Leftover on a Plate at a New York Deli" - it should be right there.;)

DELTABLUE ...

Your post elicited a few hearty chuckles from myself :) ... I take it that you do not advocate putting ketchup on steaks also - LOL ;) ...

If I'm having a steak, it will usually be a fillet. If it is good, all it may need is a little sprinkle of salt. However, from time to time, I have had occasion to consume a lesser cut and have resorted to Heinz.;):p I have a kid who will put that on a dog and there are times I wonder if he is really mine.:eek::rolleyes:

Great addition. This was talked about on here a while ago and a lot of people expressed interest in this type of food. Even better, no upcharge. Some of the attraction of the famous NY delis is the abundance of meat where you can actually have multiple sandwiches/meals. Not really necessary on a ship so a smaller regular sandwich is fine. Hard to mess this up and I think it will be good.