Dress Code

Hey Max,

Don't you know by now that the pro-formal crowd eventually resorts to extremes in an attempt to solidify their position?

The suggestion is often quoted to "wear what you might wear to a nice land-based restaurant". In 99% of restaurants similar to the quality and "atmosphere" one experiences in the MDR, shorts and a polo shirt are more than adequate. RCI is beginning to recognize that norm (at least among US-based cruises) and will continue to adapt to fit their demographic. And that means shorts at dinner.

Here in South Florida it is pretty much the norm now and whenever I'm out I don't see too many dressed inappropriately and has never been a problem for me.

On a Pride cruise two years ago, my wife and I were at a table for two near the entrance for the 6:00 seating first night. In a booth for four very close to us was a young couple, maybe upper 20's, dressed neatly, both in shorts as were we. Just them that night.

The next night was elegant night. They were back - he in slacks and a collared shirt; she in a skirt and top. They looked fine, even for elegant night - neatly dressed. This night, their table mates arrived for dinner. The couple was about the same age. He in droopy NBA basketball uniform shorts, matching sleeveless basketball jersey, and matching team hat - kept on during dinner. She was in Daisey Duke length jean shorts and cropped top with belly so pleasantly showing. The other couple did not come back to the dining room (or maybe just that table) for the rest of the cruise.

That's how the way someone dresses can keep someone from having a pleasant experience. If it doesn't bother you, maybe you can request a table dressed this "casually"? For others, there is a certain level of decorum that matters to them. And those outfits worn on elegant night - or any night, do not meet any standards.

You tell people they need to adjust their priorities. What, to yours? Maybe you should adjust your priority of recommending others adjust theirs.

I get under your skin John don't I? Hey look you can complain and get upset all you want. Nothing's going to change, people are still going to come dressed liked that to the MDR. You have the choice to let it impact the enjoyment of your night or not. I choose to be on vacation and not care what other people, who I have no control over by the way, wear as in the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter.

Hey Max,

Don't you know by now that the pro-formal crowd eventually resorts to extremes in an attempt to solidify their position?

The suggestion is often quoted to "wear what you might wear to a nice land-based restaurant". In 99% of restaurants similar to the quality and "atmosphere" one experiences in the MDR, shorts and a polo shirt are more than adequate. RCI is beginning to recognize that norm (at least among US-based cruises) and will continue to adapt to fit their demographic. And that means shorts at dinner.

Yes, very well said.

I get under your skin John don't I? Hey look you can complain and get upset all you want. Nothing's going to change, people are still going to come dressed liked that to the MDR. You have the choice to let it impact the enjoyment of your night or not. I choose to be on vacation and not care what other people, who I have no control over by the way, wear as in the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter.

Nah. If that would really bother me, I would have to adjust my priorities!:)

And I do want to see short and polos in the dining room for dinner. It is the the extreme disregard for fellow diners (wifebeaters, hats on, ragged clothing, extremely revealing (especially on bodies that should not be revealed), exposed armpit hair, etc.). Those levels do interfere with my level of enjoying dinner when in my immediate proximity.

And I don't buy the "they paid their money, too" justification. To me this is all similar to buying a home in a community with a homeowners association. Upon purchase, there is the agreement to abide by the written expectations of the community. If some neighbors decide that they paid for their house so they have the right to let the place deteriorate, paint the house purple, leave broken appliances on the lawn, etc., it does diminish the experience of living in that neighborhood.

And Carnival, and all cruise lines, market a set of expectations. The dress code is part of the marketing. Again, I prefer casual and I'm not talking about maintaining old-style formal. But I am talking about basic decorum. People paid money expecting what the cruise line marketed the experience to be.

For the many that suggest that what others wear should not affect anyone's enjoyment of dinner, I sometimes think that they envision the underdressed sitting in another part of the dining room. I want to think of it as at their table.

And there is a third choice in addition to suffer or accept and move on. If the case is extreme and in close proximity, go to the maitre d' and say "Enforce a minimal dress code or get me another table - now." Place the onus where it should be, with dining room management.

And I have no trouble with your take and opinion on the matter. Of course your preference is valid. The aspect that gets my attention is that you imply that those with a differing opinion need to adjust their priorities. There's the flaw.

Enjoy your cruises (no sarcasm intended).

Nah. If that would really bother me, I would have to adjust my priorities!:)

And I do want to see short and polos in the dining room for dinner. It is the the extreme disregard for fellow diners (wifebeaters, hats on, ragged clothing, extremely revealing (especially on bodies that should not be revealed), exposed armpit hair, etc.). Those levels do interfere with my level of enjoying dinner when in my immediate proximity.

And I don't buy the "they paid their money, too" justification. To me this is all similar to buying a home in a community with a homeowners association. Upon purchase, there is the agreement to abide by the written expectations of the community. If some neighbors decide that they paid for their house so they have the right to let the place deteriorate, paint the house purple, leave broken appliances on the lawn, etc., it does diminish the experience of living in that neighborhood.

And Carnival, and all cruise lines, market a set of expectations. The dress code is part of the marketing. Again, I prefer casual and I'm not talking about maintaining old-style formal. But I am talking about basic decorum. People paid money expecting what the cruise line marketed the experience to be.

For the many that suggest that what others wear should not affect anyone's enjoyment of dinner, I sometimes think that they envision the underdressed sitting in another part of the dining room. I want to think of it as at their table.

And there is a third choice in addition to suffer or accept and move on. If the case is extreme and in close proximity, go to the maitre d' and say "Enforce a minimal dress code or get me another table - now." Place the onus where it should be, with dining room management.

And I have no trouble with your take and opinion on the matter. Of course your preference is valid. The aspect that gets my attention is that you imply that those with a differing opinion need to adjust their priorities. There's the flaw.

Enjoy your cruises (no sarcasm intended).

Ok I think we are talking about two different things. You're well within your right to disapprove of it and disagree with it. That is your preagotive. I'm talking about people who let it actively ruin their vacation. "I saw someone in shorts at dinner. My whole evening is ruined."

Ok I think we are talking about two different things. You're well within your right to disapprove of it and disagree with it. That is your preagotive. I'm talking about people who let it actively ruin their vacation. "I saw someone in shorts at dinner. My whole evening is ruined."

Now this I agree with. I would never let it ruin my cruise. And it would take worse than just shorts to even register on my radar. I'll be in shorts, if they let me!

I forced my sister to wear a dress on first MDR night. She was miserable. When checking in there was a man in front of us in jeans and an older tshirt. My sis saw him and ran back to the room to change into shorts and a tshirt. The man (and another pair of sisters) in shorts and t-shirts were at our table all week. He was a veteran cruiser, extremely intelligent and funny and everyone, including the older women covered in jewelry, enjoyed his company.

I feel sorry for those negatively affected by what others wear to dinner. I was happy in my pretty dresses, they were happy in whatever. Namaste.

I feel sorry for those negatively affected by what others wear to dinner. I was happy in my pretty dresses, they were happy in whatever. Namaste.

Excellent post. The fact is that those who enjoy dressing formally can do so on any night of their choosing - absolutely no one is taking that privilege away from them. it follows, then, that no one should be ostracized if they prefer not to participate and wear less-formal attire.

If everyone shared your balanced view, dress code threads would disappear overnight.