Dress Code

I agree but basketball shorts are beyond anything I would wear. I will look nice enough in the dining room but I don't care what anyone else is wearing. Now if they smell like they just came from the basketball court then I would care.

I wouldn't wear it either and I agree about the body odor but that directly affects those around them. However my vacation is too precious to care what others do on their vacation or let it impact the enjoyment of mine, unless it's disruptive and if someone wearing shorts disrupts your vacation, you really need to rethink your priorities.

My question though is why do people care? They paid for their vacation just like everyone else. If they are not being rude and disruptive, why does what they wear affect your vacation?

Exactly!

My question though is why do people care? They paid for their vacation just like everyone else. If they are not being rude and disruptive, why does what they wear affect your vacation?

The problem with a statement like this is, how do you define "rude"? Some would consider wearing shorts to the MDR to be rude. Others would not. There certainly is no "one size fits all" definition of rude.

Edited by time4u2go

And yet I saw them in CK one night.

I was on one cruise where the adult males wore basketball shorts/tops to formal night.

This is why some of us are cynical about dress code enforcement.

Concierge lounge one evening. Formal night. He was wearing his companion's suit jacket over BB shorts and a tank top. He looked fracking ridiculous and got more than a few pointed looks and a few people said something to him. He laughed it off and got his jollies out of getting a rise out of the rest of us. He was also boorish in other areas on the ship and it was obvious when he walked in others left/ moved away from his vicinity.

I suppose we had to be grateful Reyno made him out the jacket on before letting him stay.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I wouldn't wear it either and I agree about the body odor but that directly affects those around them. However my vacation is too precious to care what others do on their vacation or let it impact the enjoyment of mine, unless it's disruptive and if someone wearing shorts disrupts your vacation, you really need to rethink your priorities.

A favor. To save us all the time of expressing what we might prefer, post immediately on every new thread telling everyone else what you prefer so we can rethink our priorities and not waste time having and expressing alternate opinions.

When all around you do not respect the venue, it diminishes the experience. Why is it so hard for people to understand that their actions attitudes and selfishness do affect others ?

They were sitting at our table, they were late, and it looked like they just came from the basketball court. I think that is rude and disruptive.

They were sitting at our table, they were late, and it looked like they just came from the basketball court. I think that is rude and disruptive.

I am with you on this one then. In this case your dinner was personally affected.

Here's the thing. You know (by now) and I know Royal says no shorts in the MDR. And here you have a teachable moment where you want to teach your kid this. Forget about the rules. Do what you want. What makes you feel good. What makes you feel good is most important.

Go for it.

FWIW, that's not what we taught our kids.

And no, it's not going to ruin my cruise to see shorts in the MDR.

Edited by traveler279

When all around you do not respect the venue, it diminishes the experience. Why is it so hard for people to understand that their actions attitudes and selfishness do affect others ?

"Respect the venue" is an interesting term. I think that has a lot to do with the differing opinion about what is acceptable and comes down to an individuals perspective of the MDR. I am sure to some it is the nicest restaurant they have ever been in. To many people it looks nice, but the food quality is just not there and sometimes neither is the service. Add in MTD and the mega ships where quality has to suffer and it just isn't the same experience it used to be to many.

You can hang a chandelier in Outback and put the waiters in tuxes and it is still Outback. The venue will get the respect it deserves from the patrons. Maybe that is what we are seeing.

That is the problem and why people ask these questions. RC needs to come out with realistic guidelines that are not 20 years old and enforce them or not.

This. Establish a reasonable dress code and enforce it.

We had a table near us at which the men wore cut-off jean shorts and stained t-shirts to the MDR every night and as near as I can tell not a word was said. So the dress code is useless if it's not actually enforced.

The problem with a statement like this is, how do you define "rude"? Some would consider wearing shorts to the MDR to be rude. Others would not. There certainly is no "one size fits all" definition of rude.

You are quite right. When I was younger, I commented negatively on what the woman in front of us was wearing in church although I saved my comment for the ride home. My mother made it quite clear that it was rude to comment and pass judgment on what others were wearing.

Unless it is a safety issue, cruise ships rarely say no or enforce rules because they are afraid of losing future business and people who cannot follow the dress code yell louder than those who are offended by it.Part of the experience of travel is to do something you do not do at home-or so I have thought.

That's where the really need to rethink your priorities come in. Hey looks it's your vacation, if you want be annoyed and upset and have your night ruined by something as silly as how much cloth someone has on their legs at dinner, go for it.

On Liberty now and my hubby forgot to pack his dress pants! For those who don't know, like us, you can rent black tuxedo pants for $35 for the entire week. Pretty good, I think! He has worn those for some of the nights but MTD told us they would not turn him away if he comes in his shorts. He did that yesterday without any problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's where the really need to rethink your priorities come in. Hey looks it's your vacation, if you want be annoyed and upset and have your night ruined by something as silly as how much cloth someone has on their legs at dinner, go for it.

Look again. I never said I was annoyed or upset by anything. I was just saying that your statement of "If they are not being rude and disruptive, why does what they wear affect your vacation?" is pretty much meaningless since different people have different definitions of what they consider to be rude.

Shorts on women have NEVER and will NEVER be stopped.

Men it has been hit and miss on that until recently when some ships have started allowing it.

So I say odds on favorite that shorts (not athletic ones) won't be an issue on men for non-formal nights, and I guarantee it won't be an issue for women.

On a Pride cruise two years ago, my wife and I were at a table for two near the entrance for the 6:00 seating first night. In a booth for four very close to us was a young couple, maybe upper 20's, dressed neatly, both in shorts as were we. Just them that night.

The next night was elegant night. They were back - he in slacks and a collared shirt; she in a skirt and top. They looked fine, even for elegant night - neatly dressed. This night, their table mates arrived for dinner. The couple was about the same age. He in droopy NBA basketball uniform shorts, matching sleeveless basketball jersey, and matching team hat - kept on during dinner. She was in Daisey Duke length jean shorts and cropped top with belly so pleasantly showing. The other couple did not come back to the dining room (or maybe just that table) for the rest of the cruise.

That's how the way someone dresses can keep someone from having a pleasant experience. If it doesn't bother you, maybe you can request a table dressed this "casually"? For others, there is a certain level of decorum that matters to them. And those outfits worn on elegant night - or any night, do not meet any standards.

You tell people they need to adjust their priorities. What, to yours? Maybe you should adjust your priority of recommending others adjust theirs.

On a Pride cruise two years ago, my wife and I were at a table for two near the entrance for the 6:00 seating first night. In a booth for four very close to us was a young couple, maybe upper 20's, dressed neatly, both in shorts as were we. Just them that night.

The next night was elegant night. They were back - he in slacks and a collared shirt; she in a skirt and top. They looked fine, even for elegant night - neatly dressed. This night, their table mates arrived for dinner. The couple was about the same age. He in droopy NBA basketball uniform shorts, matching sleeveless basketball jersey, and matching team hat - kept on during dinner. She was in Daisey Duke length jean shorts and cropped top with belly so pleasantly showing. The other couple did not come back to the dining room (or maybe just that table) for the rest of the cruise.

That's how the way someone dresses can keep someone from having a pleasant experience. If it doesn't bother you, maybe you can request a table dressed this "casually"? For others, there is a certain level of decorum that matters to them. And those outfits worn on elegant night - or any night, do not meet any standards.

You tell people they need to adjust their priorities. What, to yours? Maybe you should adjust your priority of recommending others adjust theirs.

So because those two dressed like trailer trash the rest of us can't wear nice golf shorts? Sounds a bit extreme to me...

So because those two dressed like trailer trash the rest of us can't wear nice golf shorts? Sounds a bit extreme to me...

Hey Max,

Don't you know by now that the pro-formal crowd eventually resorts to extremes in an attempt to solidify their position?

The suggestion is often quoted to "wear what you might wear to a nice land-based restaurant". In 99% of restaurants similar to the quality and "atmosphere" one experiences in the MDR, shorts and a polo shirt are more than adequate. RCI is beginning to recognize that norm (at least among US-based cruises) and will continue to adapt to fit their demographic. And that means shorts at dinner.

"Respect the venue" is an interesting term. I think that has a lot to do with the differing opinion about what is acceptable and comes down to an individuals perspective of the MDR. I am sure to some it is the nicest restaurant they have ever been in. To many people it looks nice, but the food quality is just not there and sometimes neither is the service. Add in MTD and the mega ships where quality has to suffer and it just isn't the same experience it used to be to many.

You can hang a chandelier in Outback and put the waiters in tuxes and it is still Outback. The venue will get the respect it deserves from the patrons. Maybe that is what we are seeing.

Excellent post, and spot on.