Dress Code

Here is what RCCL says about the dress:

Life Onboard

Q: What are the dress codes onboard?

A: Onboard Dress Code

Smart Casual: Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a blouse. Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a collared shirt.

Formal: Ladies: Cocktail dress or pantsuit. Gentlemen: Suit (black tie is optional)

Note: Swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurants or specialty restaurants. T-shirts, shorts and flip-flops are acceptable for lunch.

Note: Smart Casual is allowed on Boarding Day at The Grande Restaurant (should only be included where we are speaking about The Grande)

My 16 year old son is almost 6'5 and thin. All his height is in his legs. He currently wears a 32/38 pant and they just barely fit in the length. He mainly wears shorts as it is hard to find pants to fit him. If he wears nice shorts and nice shirt on non-formal nights will he be okay?

My 16 year old son is almost 6'5 and thin. All his height is in his legs. He currently wears a 32/38 pant and they just barely fit in the length. He mainly wears shorts as it is hard to find pants to fit him. If he wears nice shorts and nice shirt on non-formal nights will he be okay?

As mentioned, they generally ask for no shorts (nice, smart, dress, etc.) in the dining room in the evening. However, you can probably ignore that as it is not likely to be enforced.

If he wears "nicer" shorts (not athletic shorts) I doubt anything would be said or even thought about. Enjoy...

Sometimes adult men in shorts get turned away from MDR, and sometimes not. IMO, it would be foolish to not at least pack a pair of long pants, knowing that you could be asked to go back to the cabin and change. I have seen that happen a number of times.

Sometimes adult men in shorts get turned away from MDR, and sometimes not. IMO, it would be foolish to not at least pack a pair of long pants, knowing that you could be asked to go back to the cabin and change. I have seen that happen a number of times.

I agree. Have long pants just in case. Their policy does say no shorts for dinner in the MDR. While it's not widely enforced, we've seen men in shorts turned away even on non-formal nights on some ships...just seems to depend on the ship and who is at the door.

Oh goody, another dress code thread. Let me make some popcorn.:D

They are so exciting aren't they? Nothing can ruin a cruise faster for some people than by what others, who have absolutely nothing to do with them, wear in the MDR. /smh.

Edited by Lordnlkon

Though some will assure you that shorts can be worn to dinner, they are really only reporting what they experienced on their cruises. It would not be fair to you to proceed without the entire picture.

Not all ships allow shorts in the dining room at dinner.

When I have cruised Grandeur (3 times) and Enchantment out of Baltimore, shorts were not permitted and enforced. All four cruises had the same hotel director.

Shorts were also turned away on my only Explorer cruise. On my recent Oasis cruise, respectable shorts were allowed.

Depending on the ship, you might need to be prepared for either.

Have a great time on your cruise.

They are so exciting aren't they? Nothing can ruin a cruise faster for some people than by what others, who have absolutely nothing to do with them, wear in the MDR. /smh.

I didn't see anything in the original post about a value judgment; the person just wanted advice based on personal experiences.

Did you want to steer this towards something other than what was asked?

My husband makes it his challenge to try to go into the MDR via MTD in shorts and a button down short sleeve shirt. He has succeeded about 50% of the time. When he gets turned away he tries to sneak in the other door. If he gets turned away again then he run to the room to put his slacks on!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What would he wear for a summer job interview? Or a college interview? I live in Maine, so long pants are necessary because of weather for at least 7 months a year, but I do understand that there are places that weather does not dictate long pants. He will need them, however, for events coming up as he approaches adulthood. This is a great time for him to practice wearing clothes appropriate for the occasion.