Misled on the deal and not sharing the phone recording

Hello Everyone !

I wanted some guidance on how to deal with a situation with RCCL:

In November we were onboard the Allure and booked 5 rooms on the HArmony with RCCL agent aboard the ship. At the time we were given the promotion of every guest receiving complementary Internet. This was told to us verbally, and we were not very savvy about checking the documentation that was provided.

The future cruise was booked for May of 2016. WHen this new cruise was coming near, I was in conversation with another RCCL agent , on the phone, a couple of times, to finalize details. And at that time, I was booking some new rooms, and switching things, when I asked him to confirm if "All my guests would have free internet/Voom?" - he replied yes absolutely.

Now onboard the HArmony, we were told that our deal was for free Voom/internet for one device per stateroom, not per guest, as according to the deal ,my guests can still have free internet, just that two people will share one package.

I tried to argue that I was offered free internet for every guest - and not 1 device per stateroom - which would mean that all 6 of my guests should be able to use atleast one device on Voom. Otherwise, what else could be meant by free internet for every guest ? If it had meant that I would get 1 device free Voom per room, and two guests would have to share one package, then we might as well have been given one free device with VOOM between all 6 of us - and that would still mean that all 6 six guests DO have free internet access, just not simultaneously.

I believe I was deliberately led to think that I will be given 6 Vooms, for 6 guests, with one device per guest, and I was not corrected that I would actually receive 1 device per room shared by 2 guests - in order to keep me from cancelling my bookings.

The point of debate here is not WHY i needed all of my family to have the internet - at the time, on the Harmony, I had decided to pay for the 3 extra devices and fight it out later, with the help of phone recordings.

I have asked RCCL couple of times for those phone recordings, but they told me that they will not share that with me - that is my evidence.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks,

TipsyCruiser.

Dispute the $ amount of the cost of the internet you paid with your credit card company - see if they can get to the bottom of it

I highly doubt the credit card company is going to fight. From their perspective the OP agreed to the charges and decided he would take up the fight with RCCL at a later time.

Hello Everyone !

I wanted some guidance on how to deal with a situation with RCCL:

In November we were onboard the Allure and booked 5 rooms on the HArmony with RCCL agent aboard the ship. At the time we were given the promotion of every guest receiving complementary Internet. This was told to us verbally, and we were not very savvy about checking the documentation that was provided.

The future cruise was booked for May of 2016. WHen this new cruise was coming near, I was in conversation with another RCCL agent , on the phone, a couple of times, to finalize details. And at that time, I was booking some new rooms, and switching things, when I asked him to confirm if "All my guests would have free internet/Voom?" - he replied yes absolutely.

Now onboard the HArmony, we were told that our deal was for free Voom/internet for one device per stateroom, not per guest, as according to the deal ,my guests can still have free internet, just that two people will share one package.

I tried to argue that I was offered free internet for every guest - and not 1 device per stateroom - which would mean that all 6 of my guests should be able to use atleast one device on Voom. Otherwise, what else could be meant by free internet for every guest ? If it had meant that I would get 1 device free Voom per room, and two guests would have to share one package, then we might as well have been given one free device with VOOM between all 6 of us - and that would still mean that all 6 six guests DO have free internet access, just not simultaneously.

I believe I was deliberately led to think that I will be given 6 Vooms, for 6 guests, with one device per guest, and I was not corrected that I would actually receive 1 device per room shared by 2 guests - in order to keep me from cancelling my bookings.

The point of debate here is not WHY i needed all of my family to have the internet - at the time, on the Harmony, I had decided to pay for the 3 extra devices and fight it out later, with the help of phone recordings.

I have asked RCCL couple of times for those phone recordings, but they told me that they will not share that with me - that is my evidence.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks,

TipsyCruiser.

When I was having my dispute with them, one time when I returned a voicemail I was told the phone conversation was being recorded. I told them I would also be making a recording and was told by the young lady that I couldn't record her. I informed her that Texas is a one party consent state, the call originated in Texas and I consented. There would either be two recording or there would be no recordings as I did not give my consent for the company to record the call (Florida is a two party consent state). She didn't like it, but there was nothing she could do other than hang up.

Going forward, if the OP live in a one party consent state (most are) make your own recording...you don't even have to tell them you are making it.

Edited by TC1957

It's all about the terms and conditions for your promo. All you need is a copy of that, which I doubt exist as you got what the t&c stated, free voom per cabin

3 months ago?

Edited by setsail

It's all about the terms and conditions for your promo. All you need is a copy of that, which I doubt exist as you got what the t&c stated, free voom per cabin

3 months ago?

And that's what I think...its per stateroom. The fact that it would be only one device doesn't necessarily make it 'misleading'. If VOOM is available to 'the stateroom' then its available to all IN the stateroom.

If the individual who booked the cruise for the OP said "yes, everyone gets internet" then that was factually true. Everyone DID get internet, because everyone in the stateroom could access that internet. The fact that they had to do it one at a time on one device doesn't mean they DIDN'T get what was offered.

I do feel sorry for you but I think you are not going to win this one. We booked during the same promo and it clearly stated one account per cabin. It all comes down to semantics, different understandings of the spoken word and unfortunately all marketing materials are pretty clear that it is one per cabin.

Good luck with your fight.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

And that's what I think...its per stateroom. The fact that it would be only one device doesn't necessarily make it 'misleading'. If VOOM is available to 'the stateroom' then its available to all IN the stateroom.

If the individual who booked the cruise for the OP said "yes, everyone gets internet" then that was factually true. Everyone DID get internet, because everyone in the stateroom could access that internet. The fact that they had to do it one at a time on one device doesn't mean they DIDN'T get what was offered.

^^^

This.

The promo is per stateroom. Not per person. You were not misled, no one lied to you, nobody cheated you. You misunderstood

Sent from my iPad using Forums

While I think you are correct...unless you were part of the conversation you don't know this to be true.

You THINK that is what happened, but you have absolutely no way to know what the OP was or was not told.

The fine print stated per stateroom. Regardless of what they heard or believed they heard is irrelevant .

Not the point of my post...because I agree with you.

However, you said (sorry...don't know how to multiple quote)

"You were not misled, no one lied to you..."

You simply do not know that to be true.

3 months ago?

The offer for free Voom for all guests (not free voom per cabin) was made twice. Once onboard the Allure by the Next Cruise Agent. And then by the agent on phone. I think that conversation on phone happened in march as it was just getting warm here in Ontario.

You are right, since the conversation was verbal, i dont have a copy of that.

I am not sure what the confirmation documentation shows... like I said, I was not smart enough to check that when we booked.

TipsyCruiser

I do agree.

Since this happened twice.

Getting free voom is a big deal since it costs a pretty penny, so I doubly made sure that this was true. Once onboard the Allure while I was making the original booking and then on the phone with a different Agent, while I was confirming room numbers and all.

If getting "free internet for all 6 of my guests" means that they cant use it simultaneously, and that its free for 1 device per stateroom.... then "free internet for all guests" is also equal to 1 free devide for the whole Deck and all guests on that deck, only catch being that they cant use it simultaenously- but hey! They still have access to the free internet.

Hi, TC. For the first post that you want to quote, click on the quotation SYMBOLS in the bottom right corner of the post.

For the second post that you want to quote, click on the WORD quote in the bottom right corner.

You will get both messages in your reply box. :)

The offer for free Voom for all guests (not free voom per cabin) was made twice. Once onboard the Allure by the Next Cruise Agent. And then by the agent on phone. I think that conversation on phone happened in march as it was just getting warm here in Ontario.

You are right, since the conversation was verbal, i dont have a copy of that.

I am not sure what the confirmation documentation shows... like I said, I was not smart enough to check that when we booked.

TipsyCruiser

You already said all of this in post 1. My post was not about verbal conversations, it was about the t&c's which it looks like you never read

The people on the ship are nothing more than sales people and they all have their method of selling cruises. Your job as the consumer is to read the terms and conditions for the cruise you want and make sure you are getting what you think you are paying for and get copies of everything.

Edited by setsail

I do agree.

Since this happened twice.

Getting free voom is a big deal since it costs a pretty penny, so I doubly made sure that this was true. Once onboard the Allure while I was making the original booking and then on the phone with a different Agent, while I was confirming room numbers and all.

If getting "free internet for all 6 of my guests" means that they cant use it simultaneously, and that its free for 1 device per stateroom.... then "free internet for all guests" is also equal to 1 free devide for the whole Deck and all guests on that deck, only catch being that they cant use it simultaenously- but hey! They still have access to the free internet.

Exactly...which is why the statement 'you all get free internet' is really not incorrect. All passengers can see the shows, ride the flow-rider, climb the rock wall, etc...but they can't all do it at the same time.

I'm not sure why you say you "doubly made sure this was true" regarding the free internet...it would seem that you didn't think of the right questions to ask about how that internet could be used. You also said you're "not sure what the confirmation documentation shows". Don't you still have it? Its usually emailed and should show what promo items you were entitled to receive.

The fine print stated per stateroom. Regardless of what they heard or believed they heard is irrelevant .

So, any claim can be made verbally during any transaction and if it turns out it is not as represented, it is irrelevant?

If the OP had taped the conversation and the rep said everyone in the party would get Voom, that conversation is irrelevant?

Do you never enter verbal agreements?

So, any claim can be made verbally during any transaction and if it turns out it is not as represented, it is irrelevant?

If the OP had taped the conversation and the rep said everyone in the party would get Voom, that conversation is irrelevant?

Do you never enter verbal agreements?

It may not be irrelevant, but more so a matter of context. As has been stated before, the statement "everyone in the party would get Voom" is a true statement as long as each person in the party has the opportunity to use Voom.

The statement in and of itself does not make any other distinction or clarification about HOW Voom can be used. Its actually quite a general statement and unless more clarification was sought by the OP and SPECIFIC statements made by the RCL rep that each person in the party could all use Voom at the same time.

Even then, what really drives the bus here is what was included on the WRITTEN confirmation, which represents the contract between RCL and the passenger. Its up to each one of us to read that confirmation and ensure that it includes all that was agreed to during that conversation.

We can't know all the specifics of the conversation...we're only getting the OP's side. I'm not doubting the way the OP states what happened, but since the OP chose not to read and/or retain the confirmation of the reservation its possible that he/she didn't hear the details correctly, or ask the right questions about the Voom package.

If it was truly important that each person in the group have that internet access freely and continually at any given time on their own device as part of the free benefit, those should have been details the OP confirmed specifically.

Exactly...which is why the statement 'you all get free internet' is really not incorrect. All passengers can see the shows, ride the flow-rider, climb the rock wall, etc...but they can't all do it at the same time.

I'm not sure why you say you "doubly made sure this was true" regarding the free internet...it would seem that you didn't think of the right questions to ask about how that internet could be used. You also said you're "not sure what the confirmation documentation shows". Don't you still have it? Its usually emailed and should show what promo items you were entitled to receive.

Perhaps not as you stated" really not incorrect" but very deceptive. What about "Honesty and Integrity".

QUOTE]

I respectfully disagree. Under your definition "everyone" basically means the same as "anyone" which is not accurate; particularly when, if as OP said happened, it was specifically asked whether everyone got internet. It is too cute by half to conflate everyone with anyone and say yes if the promotion was limited to one device per stateroom - particularly in this day and age when "everyone" has a cell phone and most people have iPads, tablets and/or laptops.

In June we had a situation on the Ovation where a next cruise agent told us a certain cabin number was at the very aft of the ship we wanted to book a cruise on. I said I did not believe that was accurate and he went so far as to pull out a deck plan out and show it to us. We booked the cruise but when I went back to our cabin I checked online and determined that the cabin he booked us in was not an aft cabin on the ship we were sailing so we had to trudge back, cancel that cruise and re-book. He admitted then that he was showing me the deck plan for a different ship! Some agents are better (or more trustworthy than others) - but some will tell you what you want to hear whether they know for a fact it is true.

I do agree with what others have said about always asking for it in writing or double-checking bookings.

Edited by kccrzr

I think they misled you into thinking everyone would be covered, but in reality only one per cabin. So sorry for that, but I still don't understand why cruisers don't put their phones in the suitcase until departure day. Cruising is to relax and have fun not using your phones and the internet. I hate cell phones and do not own a smart phone. My life

is complete without, but my wife did buy me a cell phone that takes photos, so I accepted graciously. Bon Voyage everyone!

See your Travel Professional for complete terms. Cruise must be booked November 10, 2015 - January 3, 2016 (the Offer Period). Offer applies to all sailings departing on or after December 10, 2015, excluding China departures. Offer includes 50% off cruise fare of second guest booked in the same stateroom as first full fare guest, 50% reduced deposit, and stateroom onboard credit up to $300 (OBC). Additionally, offer includes one Voom internet package for one device for Anthem, Harmony, Allure, Oasis, Freedom, and Enchantment of the Seas. VOOM unlimited internet package applicable to one device. OBC amount varies by stateroom category. All other charges, including, but not limited to, taxes, fees and port expenses, are additional and apply to all guests. BOGO is combinable with the OBC and VOOM offers, Crown & Anchor discounts and NextCruise offers; not combinable with restricted rates. OBC and VOOM offers are combinable with restricted rates and NextCruise offers; not combinable with Crown & Anchor discounts. Neither offer is combinable with any other offer or promotion. Offer applies to new, individual and named group bookings confirmed at prevailing rates. Offer open to residents of U.S. or Canada. OBC is in U.S. dollars, is not redeemable for cash, and will expire if not used by the last evening of the cruise. Prices and Offer are subject to availability and change without notice, capacity controlled, and may be withdrawn at any time. Features vary by ship. ©2015 Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. Ships’ registry: The Bahamas. 15047525 • 11/04/2015