Misled on the deal and not sharing the phone recording

See your Travel Professional for complete terms. Cruise must be booked November 10, 2015 - January 3, 2016 (the Offer Period). Offer applies to all sailings departing on or after December 10, 2015, excluding China departures. Offer includes 50% off cruise fare of second guest booked in the same stateroom as first full fare guest, 50% reduced deposit, and stateroom onboard credit up to $300 (OBC). Additionally, offer includes one Voom internet package for one device for Anthem, Harmony, Allure, Oasis, Freedom, and Enchantment of the Seas. VOOM unlimited internet package applicable to one device. OBC amount varies by stateroom category. All other charges, including, but not limited to, taxes, fees and port expenses, are additional and apply to all guests. BOGO is combinable with the OBC and VOOM offers, Crown & Anchor discounts and NextCruise offers; not combinable with restricted rates. OBC and VOOM offers are combinable with restricted rates and NextCruise offers; not combinable with Crown & Anchor discounts. Neither offer is combinable with any other offer or promotion. Offer applies to new, individual and named group bookings confirmed at prevailing rates. Offer open to residents of U.S. or Canada. OBC is in U.S. dollars, is not redeemable for cash, and will expire if not used by the last evening of the cruise. Prices and Offer are subject to availability and change without notice, capacity controlled, and may be withdrawn at any time. Features vary by ship. ©2015 Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. Ships’ registry: The Bahamas. 15047525 • 11/04/2015

Thank you, figured someone would post it...

Perhaps not as you stated" really not incorrect" but very deceptive. What about "Honesty and Integrity".

I believe in this case, its more about a miscommunication and neither party's fault...no deception or dishonesty intended.

It sounds like the RCL rep made the statement believing the OP would understand what he/she meant, and the OP interpreted the statement in a way that provided more benefit than was being given...and neither made sure the other understood the exact meaning.

Happens all the time, which is why the written confirmation is so important.

Edited by msmayor

I think they misled you into thinking everyone would be covered, but in reality only one per cabin. So sorry for that, but I still don't understand why cruisers don't put their phones in the suitcase until departure day. Cruising is to relax and have fun not using your phones and the internet. I hate cell phones and do not own a smart phone. My life

is complete without, but my wife did buy me a cell phone that takes photos, so I accepted graciously. Bon Voyage everyone!

I'm in your camp. Our phones are in airplane mode and used only for pictures. We love unhooking from the world for cruises...

My Suggestion is to accept you made a mistake in not checking the fine print and paying for it. Now it´s time to move on as it´s not even a lost case for you it not a case at all.
Agreed ! Buyer beware period, always read the fine print in your contract. Do I feel for the OP? Yes, is it the end of the world, no. Move on and enjoy the cruise.....K.O.

I believe in this case, its more about a miscommunication and neither party's fault...no deception or dishonesty intended.

It sounds like the RCL rep made the statement believing the OP would understand what he/she meant, and the OP interpreted the statement in a way that provided more benefit than was being given...and neither made sure the other understood the exact meaning.

Happens all the time, which is why the written confirmation is so important.

I totally agree.

Perhaps not as you stated" really not incorrect" but very deceptive. What about "Honesty and Integrity".

See your Travel Professional for complete terms. Cruise must be booked November 10, 2015 - January 3, 2016 (the Offer Period). Offer applies to all sailings departing on or after December 10, 2015, excluding China departures. Offer includes 50% off cruise fare of second guest booked in the same stateroom as first full fare guest, 50% reduced deposit, and stateroom onboard credit up to $300 (OBC). Additionally, offer includes one Voom internet package for one device for Anthem, Harmony, Allure, Oasis, Freedom, and Enchantment of the Seas. VOOM unlimited internet package applicable to one device. OBC amount varies by stateroom category. All other charges, including, but not limited to, taxes, fees and port expenses, are additional and apply to all guests. BOGO is combinable with the OBC and VOOM offers, Crown & Anchor discounts and NextCruise offers; not combinable with restricted rates. OBC and VOOM offers are combinable with restricted rates and NextCruise offers; not combinable with Crown & Anchor discounts. Neither offer is combinable with any other offer or promotion. Offer applies to new, individual and named group bookings confirmed at prevailing rates. Offer open to residents of U.S. or Canada. OBC is in U.S. dollars, is not redeemable for cash, and will expire if not used by the last evening of the cruise. Prices and Offer are subject to availability and change without notice, capacity controlled, and may be withdrawn at any time. Features vary by ship. ©2015 Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. Ships’ registry: The Bahamas. 15047525 • 11/04/2015

And that is the difference - Its not that I was stupid - I was trusting. I trusted RCCL to have honesty and integrity and trusted their agents to reflect those principles. I will get around to posting the cruise documentation, because on those papers the agent pointed to me - "See you have two Vooms for both guests in a room and you are not being charged for it".

If what he showed me to be free Voom for all guests , was not really free voom for all guests - then I just need to become a travel agent to not be conned in the future by cruise selling agents

I will not say that I made a "mistake"

I was unaware, yes, but its not a mistake as Paulxyz here puts it. I was unaware that what I presumed I was being offered is not so - naturally I expected the cruise agent to correct me, as he was correcting me about so many other things, and he has booked 2 previous cruises for me in the past. I thought we had a professional relationship where his job is to get me the best deal out of RCCL's promotions.

This is no longer about Money, Paul. this is about principles. I do believe I was deliberately allowed to continue believing that I will receive more benefit from it than I actually would.

The distinction between "everyone" and "Anyone" is too potent.

I read that RCCL offer, that OneCruiser posted: I just thought my sales agent was giving me something beyond that.

And one cant get a written confirmation for everything that is promised verbally as someone who can back away from a verbal statement in 2 days, can back away from it in 2 seconds .

And that is the difference - Its not that I was stupid - I was trusting. I trusted RCCL to have honesty and integrity and trusted their agents to reflect those principles. I will get around to posting the cruise documentation, because on those papers the agent pointed to me - "See you have two Vooms for both guests in a room and you are not being charged for it".

If what he showed me to be free Voom for all guests , was not really free voom for all guests - then I just need to become a travel agent to not be conned in the future by cruise selling agents

I will not say that I made a "mistake"

I was unaware, yes, but its not a mistake as Paulxyz here puts it. I was unaware that what I presumed I was being offered is not so - naturally I expected the cruise agent to correct me, as he was correcting me about so many other things, and he has booked 2 previous cruises for me in the past. I thought we had a professional relationship where his job is to get me the best deal out of RCCL's promotions.

This is no longer about Money, Paul. this is about principles. I do believe I was deliberately allowed to continue believing that I will receive more benefit from it than I actually would.

The distinction between "everyone" and "Anyone" is too potent.

I read that RCCL offer, that OneCruiser posted: I just thought my sales agent was giving me something beyond that.

And one cant get a written confirmation for everything that is promised verbally as someone who can back away from a verbal statement in 2 days, can back away from it in 2 seconds .

I disagree with you. It WAS stupid not to check your cruise documents to verify what you thought was said to you verbally. If you had done that immediately, perhaps you could have corrected it at that point. Months later, well after the fact, expecting anyone to remember word for word what was said during that conversation (and, I'm doubtful that their recordings are kept that long), it's basically your word against them.

Maybe they mis-stated what the package was, maybe you misunderstood what it was, maybe you mis-remembered what was said...point is, you learned a hard lesson about getting everything in writing and then reading the documents to verify. That was your responsibility, not theirs.

That being said, I'm sorry for your disappointment no matter what happened. Hopefully you'll have (or had) a great and enjoyable cruise.

I disagree with you. It WAS stupid not to check your cruise documents to verify what you thought was said to you verbally. If you had done that immediately, perhaps you could have corrected it at that point. Months later, well after the fact, expecting anyone to remember word for word what was said during that conversation (and, I'm doubtful that their recordings are kept that long), it's basically your word against them.

Maybe they mis-stated what the package was, maybe you misunderstood what it was, maybe you mis-remembered what was said...point is, you learned a hard lesson about getting everything in writing and then reading the documents to verify. That was your responsibility, not theirs.

That being said, I'm sorry for your disappointment no matter what happened. Hopefully you'll have (or had) a great and enjoyable cruise.

I think you were not sharp enough to register some of the information in this last message, for all your talk about stupidity :)

I did say that the agent presented the information on the document to us... and said that this represents your Voom package.

In honesty - I dont think anyone takes their travel documents to a travel and tourism lawyer to confirm that what has been told is written so (in their travel documents) , is so.

So neither did I.

So when the agent on board said (refer to the attached picture) " here is one Voom, which shows up as $0.00, and the second Voom , which shows up as $105.00 but then which has a credit of $105.00, so effectively, its all $0.00", we were told, that the Voom is complimentary for us.

Otherwise why :

1. Would the Voom be listed twice on the travel document for one room

2. would they say that all guests in your party have free Voom.

And that is also why I believed that the agent is offering me something beyond the standard Free Voom for one device per stateroom, as was the prevalent offer from RCCL at the time.

Now, after all this discussion , to the point of my post here , for the benefit of everyone who cant figure it out.

1. its not to justify why I needed the internet for all devices on a vacation and whether or not we should use our cell phones on vacation.

2. its not the debate what I was promised. I alone, know the tone of voice and the enthusiasm with which these statements were said by the agents. I alone can vouch for it - unfortunate as that might be.

3. This is not a matter of money. Of course I felt cheated. Of course I think the cruiseline is greedy and immoral , for money. But if an official, sincere apology was offered as a resolution, instead of the money - I would accept it. The gripe is that they will not even surrender the recording.

4. It has taken me these many months to pick this issue up here because all this time I was trying to resolve it directly with the Post-Cruise Resolutions team, which has stopped replying to my civil mails.

5. That being said, and being grateful for the sincere suggestions I have received, I do recognize that the online community is filled with trollers, and sometimes they cant help themselves. Good luck to all of you, that you may never be "misled by any agent because of your own naiveté/stupidity."

TC

IMG_4096.jpg.a414332f5f33b43821b7cd8634d97dd5.jpg

Not only are any recordings made most likely NOT kept that long, odds are that not ALL calls are even recorded. The announcement states that the calls "MAY be monitored or recorded"... I know when I worked in reservations at a hotel, our announcement said that, but I can tell you that even in a small reservations office (we only handled things for one hotel, so it was not a large department) they were NOT all recorded and/or monitored. It was more of a spot-check thing as a rule - or if we were having a "difficult" guest on the phone we would often cue the supervisor to monitor in case any kind of notation was needed for that reservation.

So I don't know that even had it been caught immediately there would have 100% been a recording to go and listen to.

I think they misled you into thinking everyone would be covered, but in reality only one per cabin. So sorry for that, but I still don't understand why cruisers don't put their phones in the suitcase until departure day. Cruising is to relax and have fun not using your phones and the internet. I hate cell phones and do not own a smart phone. My life

is complete without, but my wife did buy me a cell phone that takes photos, so I accepted graciously. Bon Voyage everyone!

Not everyone can manage that so easily. My friends with an autistic child can leave him with his grandparents but must still call home daily to reassure their son (and themselves).

As a small business owner, the miracle of the internet allowed me to go on a TA a few years ago and to have an extended European vacation - cruise included - this year. Half an hour on line to sort things out at home is a very small price to pay.

More of us than you might imagine are checking in on elderly parents, family or friends in crisis, business matters, etc. In today's world there is an assumption that one can be reached within 24 hours nearly anywhere in the world. I'm good with that. (For the record, I manage my business and then put the laptop away for the day.)

Just as not all who wander are lost, not all who stay in electronic touch are merely updating Facebook and Instagram with photos of the Windjammer breakfast buffet.

Just sayin.... ;)

Not everyone can manage that so easily. My friends with an autistic child can leave him with his grandparents but must still call home daily to reassure their son (and themselves).

As a small business owner, the miracle of the internet allowed me to go on a TA a few years ago and to have an extended European vacation - cruise included - this year. Half an hour on line to sort things out at home is a very small price to pay.

More of us than you might imagine are checking in on elderly parents, family or friends in crisis, business matters, etc. In today's world there is an assumption that one can be reached within 24 hours nearly anywhere in the world. I'm good with that. (For the record, I manage my business and then put the laptop away for the day.)

Just as not all who wander are lost, not all who stay in electronic touch are merely updating Facebook and Instagram with photos of the Windjammer breakfast buffet.

Just sayin.... ;)

It's ok to need Internet access for whatever reason. But it seems petty to me to be upset that every member of the op party couldn't be on at the same time. They all had access but had to share. This is not a big deal.

And it always amuses me when people get upset because they don't read the terms. If you chose to not read what you signed and agreed to then it's your fault. Never accept anything that is not in writing because even if was correct at the time you were told, if it isn't part of your written agreement it can be changed at any time.

Hi, TC. For the first post that you want to quote, click on the quotation SYMBOLS in the bottom right corner of the post.

For the second post that you want to quote, click on the WORD quote in the bottom right corner.

You will get both messages in your reply box. :)

I'm not the one you're replying to but I do have a question about that. I've never been able to quote more than 2 posts in a reply, yet I've seen replies where people have quoted 3 or 4 different posts. How do you do that?

It's ok to need Internet access for whatever reason. But it seems petty to me to be upset that every member of the op party couldn't be on at the same time. They all had access but had to share. This is not a big deal.

And it always amuses me when people get upset because they don't read the terms. If you chose to not read what you signed and agreed to then it's your fault. Never accept anything that is not in writing because even if was correct at the time you were told, if it isn't part of your written agreement it can be changed at any time.

Agreed. Four corners of the contract and all that...

On an aside to the OP, DH and I easily share one package using the same laptop while aboard. Most days he doesn't even bother to check in because within our business I am responsible for the lion's share of internet communication and ordering.

I think you were not sharp enough to register some of the information in this last message, for all your talk about stupidity :)

I did say that the agent presented the information on the document to us... and said that this represents your Voom package.

In honesty - I dont think anyone takes their travel documents to a travel and tourism lawyer to confirm that what has been told is written so (in their travel documents) , is so.

So neither did I.

So when the agent on board said (refer to the attached picture) " here is one Voom, which shows up as $0.00, and the second Voom , which shows up as $105.00 but then which has a credit of $105.00, so effectively, its all $0.00", we were told, that the Voom is complimentary for us.

Otherwise why :

1. Would the Voom be listed twice on the travel document for one

TC

Am I missing something here. Clearly only 1 Voom is shown. Passengers 2, 3, 4 do not show Vooms. How is this confusing? Why would Voom for passenger 1 show as $105, with offsetting credit while the others show as $0? Nonsensical if they all get Vooms.

One Voom for the cabin. End of story. OP, your error. Get over it. Wah, wah, wah. Grow up and take responsibility for your mistake.

When you have a written contract, you cannot assume anything. If you complain enough you may get something just to get rid of you. But, you are not entitled to anything. You are no worse off than you would have been had you had understood the terms when booking. You still would have booked the cruise wouldn't you?.

You have not been harmed, except for your ego.

Am I missing something here. Clearly only 1 Voom is shown. Passengers 2, 3, 4 do not show Vooms. How is this confusing? Why would Voom for passenger 1 show as $105, with offsetting credit while the others show as $0? Nonsensical if they all get Vooms.

One Voom for the cabin. End of story. OP, your error. Get over it. Wah, wah, wah. Grow up and take responsibility for your mistake.

When you have a written contract, you cannot assume anything. If you complain enough you may get something just to get rid of you. But, you are not entitled to anything. You are no worse off than you would have been had you had understood the terms when booking. You still would have booked the cruise wouldn't you?.

You have not been harmed, except for your ego.

In fact I will still book future cruises with RCCL - the point here is that the agent showed this information as being proof of being given two Vooms. He said, that the one Voom printed here is $0 as that is part of a promotion and the second one which is first charged then credited, is what he is giving extra.

And whoever you are (Paul/Hex/Cruising along etc etc) : yes I was conned by the agents, as is their job profile. And have you never been ? Are you all such professionals at waggling things outta people that you take your documents to a lawyer everytime someone points something at a papers and tells you "here is your written document promising what I just said"

Ego is hurt ? Yes, I am indignant - as anyone who expects people to live upto their word would be- NO MATTER THE DAY AND AGE - just like I live upto mine.

Being lied to must seem like ordinary and stupid to people who are in the habit of lying and cheating for money- because that is their idea of a normal, everyday thing.

Of course this is a lesson for me - but would I still expect my associates to keep their spoken word ? Yes, absolutely. And would I let an action lacking integrity slide past ? No.

And where on the Guest invoice (that is all that was given at the time of booking) would these T&C or fine print be listed , stating : Free Voom for all guests means Voom for one device per cabin ?

After all, the agent must be pretty savvy with the technical phrase "Free voom for all guests" ... and so it must be printed somewhere in the fine print ?

Mr/Ms CruisingAlong4Now : $300 etc in buying 3 extra Vooms , and whatever credit would be offered in return for this - is no big prize. There is no sense of entitlement associated with this sum (may be for you, if so, sure, knock yourself out). so there goes your point about being entitled.

Sometimes taking responsibility also means speaking up.

I am not here trying to make a stink for the cruise line- I hardly believe that is achievable here. I am here to discuss the terminology agreed to by the agent and the circumstance.

One time I threw a McDonald's bag into a large dumpster that was in the parking lot at my office building. As I got back in my car, a man who was doing maintenance/renovation on the building approached me and told me that the dumpster was private property and that I could not use it. I apologized, told him that I did not realize that (there was a "PRIVATE PROPERTY" sign on the dumpster but I guess I don't make a habit out of reading dumpster signs), and I promised that I would not do it again.

This man proceeded to tell me that he was "going to call the law", whipped out his cell phone, and started making his way to the back of my car to get the license plate. Naturally I sped off and parked my car at another building about a half mile away. I sat in my car flabbergasted at his response to the situation; I doubt I have ever met another person in real life who would find it necessary to handle that situation with anything more than "please don't do it again".

I often feel that there is a higher concentration of "call the law" folks on CC than anywhere else in the world.

Edited by zuke2323

I had the same thing happen. We had the free VOOM promo and after set up it said one device. On the invoice there is a line that says Free Voom with guest 1 $0.00, guest 2 $0.00, guest 3 0.00. We had other rooms with invoices showing the same thing so they went guest services, I was too lazy. GS mentioned something about having to call corporate to work it out and that it might take some time to resolve. Later on in the day we figured out that even though it said one device, multiple people could use it at the same time. Never heard back from the GS people.