Fire.....

code_d

so where is a link to any of these posts?

you're not allowed to promote face book groups here in lieu of CC roll calls and such - granted - but i believe the filters and mods allow links to news (such as from john heald, etc.)...

i'm not saying i doubt it but it hasn't hit the news yet. let's see it.

Take it for what you want. Not posting links as is a closed group and can not do that.

Take it for what you want. Not posting links as is a closed group and can not do that.

got it. again, not questioning your proposition. i was just curious and not willing to search the internet all night to find an obscure face book post. also wasn't sure if you were aware you could even post that stuff (that are not groups, etc.)

just seemed since it started to get to 'someone from carnival acknowledged' basically (paraphrased) - well, where is that.

interested to see what happened. hope all are well. i hope to be on sunshine sometime soon :eek:

you're not allowed to promote face book groups here in lieu of CC roll calls and such - granted - but i believe the filters and mods allow links to news (such as from john heald, etc.)...

I posted a quote that was taken directly from a Carnival rep on their own FB page... You can go there and see it. It's in the comments where the person asks about the fire.

got it. again, not questioning your proposition. i was just curious and not willing to search the internet all night to find an obscure face book post. also wasn't sure if you were aware you could even post that stuff (that are not groups, etc.)

just seemed since it started to get to 'someone from carnival acknowledged' basically (paraphrased) - well, where is that.

interested to see what happened. hope all are well. i hope to be on sunshine sometime soon :eek:

Sorry got jaded from those that post with other intentions here- should not have assumed. Plus is hard to get all the intentions out of just writing.

Sorry got jaded from those that post with other intentions here- should not have assumed. Plus is hard to get all the intentions out of just writing.

no worries. not jaded here, not judgmental or questioning. just curious. that is all. i read mentions of posts, and wanted to see them, that's it. i'm sure we'll see plenty tomorrow.

I posted a quote that was taken directly from a Carnival rep on their own FB page... You can go there and see it. It's in the comments where the person asks about the fire.

It is asked as a visitor post on John Heald's page at about 6pm PT. Here is the reply from Mischelle: "Preliminary reports indicate a small fire that involved a guest stateroom balcony and was quickly extinguished. Guests were advised of the situation and all operations on board are proceeding normally at this time. - Mischelle"

It is asked as a visitor post on John Heald's page at about 6pm PT. Here is the reply from Mischelle: "Preliminary reports indicate a small fire that involved a guest stateroom balcony and was quickly extinguished. Guests were advised of the situation and all operations on board are proceeding normally at this time. - Mischelle"

Thank you. Good news!!!:)

Let me weigh in here with a few comments. First off, we are taking it as gospel that the fire was caused by smoking, which is received at least third hand, from someone who was not involved in the incident. Secondly, we are also taking the claim of "severe damage" at face value, when again the report is at best third hand and not from someone involved at the scene.

For the OP who mentioned that the fire must be severe if the fire doors closed, this is not really the case. If a smoke detector goes off in any cabin or location in a vertical fire zone, regardless of which deck, the fire doors at either end of the fire zone will automatically close.

Now, to me anyway, some burned furnishings do not constitute "severe damage" to a cabin, but may to others. I just saw the comment from Heald about it being on a balcony, and SOLAS requires that either the balcony have a sprinkler, or that the furnishings be flame resistant, and that there is a smoke detector. Given a sprinkler in the cabin, I would believe the fire was dampened by this until the fire teams arrived, if it spread to the cabin at all. As to the time frame, it is standard practice to not call a fire "out" until about 30 minutes after it is "extinguished" to allow for checking whether there are still embers or hot spots, and particularly on ships you have to look for the possibility of hidden hot spots above the ceilings and between the cabin walls.

So, a fire happened, it was quickly dealt with, most likely without damage to adjoining cabins, though the passengers there may be inconvenienced by the smell of smoke for the remainder of the cruise. The party involved will likely be disembarked, naturally without any belongings as they were in the fire, but I seriously doubt they would be charged for the damages. The legal fees involved would more than offset the repair costs.

Edited by chengkp75

Let me weigh in here with a few comments. First off, we are taking it as gospel that the fire was caused by smoking, which is received at least third hand, from someone who was not involved in the incident. Secondly, we are also taking the claim of "severe damage" at face value, when again the report is at best third hand and not from someone involved at the scene.

For the OP who mentioned that the fire must be severe if the fire doors closed, this is not really the case. If a smoke detector goes off in any cabin or location in a vertical fire zone, regardless of which deck, the fire doors at either end of the fire zone will automatically close.

Now, to me anyway, some burned furnishings do not constitute "severe damage" to a cabin, but may to others. I just saw the comment from Heald about it being on a balcony, and SOLAS requires that either the balcony have a sprinkler, or that the furnishings be flame resistant, and that there is a smoke detector. Given a sprinkler in the cabin, I would believe the fire was dampened by this until the fire teams arrived, if it spread to the cabin at all. As to the time frame, it is standard practice to not call a fire "out" until about 30 minutes after it is "extinguished" to allow for checking whether there are still embers or hot spots, and particularly on ships you have to look for the possibility of hidden hot spots above the ceilings and between the cabin walls.

So, a fire happened, it was quickly dealt with, most likely without damage to adjoining cabins, though the passengers there may be inconvenienced by the smell of smoke for the remainder of the cruise. The party involved will likely be disembarked, naturally without any belongings as they were in the fire, but I seriously doubt they would be charged for the damages. The legal fees involved would more than offset the repair costs.

They charged guest on the Paradise with no legal problems. Actually watched this happened. They also kicked them off the ship in Roatan. Whole family because the son was caught smoking.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They charged guest on the Paradise with no legal problems. Actually watched this happened. They also kicked them off the ship in Roatan. Whole family because the son was caught smoking.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry, do you mean they charged them the $250 cleaning fee, or some other figure? How did they arrive at a figure? I certainly would not have paid anything, even if I caused damage, without seeing a report from an insurance adjuster.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us

Thanks for the info

Sorry, do you mean they charged them the $250 cleaning fee, or some other figure? How did they arrive at a figure? I certainly would not have paid anything, even if I caused damage, without seeing a report from an insurance adjuster.

It amazes me how many people never read a signed contract. Not saying if it was smoking or not, but if it is, $250.00 is the least of the worries, like being kicked off the ship and being held accountable for full damages and lost revenue for the room until restored. Think of the family that is to board next, sorry some inconsiderate jerk smoked outside and did damage to your room, so no cruise for you. Or the people next or above or below that cabin to have to hear the construction going on during the cruise.

People need to stop thinking its my cruise, my cabin screw others people safety or health.

I hope it was not smoking from inconsiderate passengers.

Edited by PattBenatar

Fire has to be one of my biggest fears about cruising. Sounds like everyone is ok though. I can't find any news articles about this when I google. Last time we sailed Sunshine our balcony neighbors were smoking. We reported it but it continued throughout our cruise. It is so dangerous and people don't think of that!

Edited by CookiePie

There is probably no situation more dangerous at sea than a fire.

Does anyone know if Sunshine has automatic sprinklers on the balconies?

Good question. Know they have them in the cabins, not sure about out on the balconies themselves....

It amazes me how many people never read a signed contract. Not saying if it was smoking or not, but if it is, $250.00 is the least of the worries, like being kicked off the ship and being held accountable for full damages and lost revenue for the room until restored. Think of the family that is to board next, sorry some inconsiderate jerk smoked outside and did damage to your room, so no cruise for you. Or the people next or above or below that cabin to have to hear the construction going on during the cruise.

People need to stop thinking its my cruise, my cabin screw others people safety or health.

I hope it was not smoking from inconsiderate passengers.

What she said

They do, all ships are required to have them.

No they are not. Ships can either have sprinklers, or have all furnishings be flame resistant.

From the IMO's MSC (Maritime Safety Committee) regulations as part of SOLAS:

(e) all balcony furniture and furnishings to either comply with the specification for furniture

and furnishings of restricted fire risk, or (i) fire detection and fire alarm system

(MSC.1/Circ.1242) and (ii) fixed pressure water spraying system (MSC.1/Circ.1268) are to

be fitted on new and existing ships.

No they are not. Ships can either have sprinklers, or have all furnishings be flame resistant.

From the IMO's MSC (Maritime Safety Committee) regulations as part of SOLAS:

(e) all balcony furniture and furnishings to either comply with the specification for furniture

and furnishings of restricted fire risk, or (i) fire detection and fire alarm system

(MSC.1/Circ.1242) and (ii) fixed pressure water spraying system (MSC.1/Circ.1268) are to

be fitted on new and existing ships.

The reason I ask is Sunshine was designed in the early to mid 1990's and completed 20 years ago, long before the Star Princess fire occurred and I doubt this level of fire safety was built in to ships back then. Since the ship had a major re-fit in 2013 though it is possible they added it, I really don't know.

Curious to find out of the fire started on the balcony, in the cabin, was it from a cigarette, a battery powered device, or started by something electrical from the ship itself.

All I know is the bottom line that nothing is as dangerous on a ship at sea than fire and luckily this one did not spread.