Fire.....

code_d

The reason I ask is Sunshine was designed in the early to mid 1990's and completed 20 years ago, long before the Star Princess fire occurred and I doubt this level of fire safety was built in to ships back then. Since the ship had a major re-fit in 2013 though it is possible they added it, I really don't know.

Curious to find out of the fire started on the balcony, in the cabin, was it from a cigarette, a battery powered device, or started by something electrical from the ship itself.

All I know is the bottom line that nothing is as dangerous on a ship at sea than fire and luckily this one did not spread.

They may have retrofitted the sprinklers, but again, even a new build ship is not required to have sprinklers on the balconies, if the furnishings meet the requirements. The main lesson learned from the Star Princess is that the balcony dividers be flame resistant, so that even without sprinklers or fire detection systems on the balconies, fire is less likely to spread.

Given the small amount of damage to the ship, there will most likely not be any investigation by the BMA, so the root cause will most likely never be known.

Sprinkler Systems

Every vessel in the Carnival fleet is fully sprinklered throughout passenger and crew areas

including balconies.

...and hopefully after retrofit, they will now work if needed.

Let me weigh in here with a few comments. First off, we are taking it as gospel that the fire was caused by smoking, which is received at least third hand, from someone who was not involved in the incident. Secondly, we are also taking the claim of "severe damage" at face value, when again the report is at best third hand and not from someone involved at the scene.

For the OP who mentioned that the fire must be severe if the fire doors closed, this is not really the case. If a smoke detector goes off in any cabin or location in a vertical fire zone, regardless of which deck, the fire doors at either end of the fire zone will automatically close.

Now, to me anyway, some burned furnishings do not constitute "severe damage" to a cabin, but may to others. I just saw the comment from Heald about it being on a balcony, and SOLAS requires that either the balcony have a sprinkler, or that the furnishings be flame resistant, and that there is a smoke detector. Given a sprinkler in the cabin, I would believe the fire was dampened by this until the fire teams arrived, if it spread to the cabin at all. As to the time frame, it is standard practice to not call a fire "out" until about 30 minutes after it is "extinguished" to allow for checking whether there are still embers or hot spots, and particularly on ships you have to look for the possibility of hidden hot spots above the ceilings and between the cabin walls.

So, a fire happened, it was quickly dealt with, most likely without damage to adjoining cabins, though the passengers there may be inconvenienced by the smell of smoke for the remainder of the cruise. The party involved will likely be disembarked, naturally without any belongings as they were in the fire, but I seriously doubt they would be charged for the damages. The legal fees involved would more than offset the repair costs.

Thank you for speaking truth

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Sprinkler Systems

Every vessel in the Carnival fleet is fully sprinklered throughout passenger and crew areas

including balconies.

This may be true, don't know your source, but it is not "required" to have them as you originally stated.

Every ship on the Carnival fleet has one, I just posted it. It is a passenger area, so it is required by Carnivals own rules it will have one.

And again, I will say that it is not mandatory, while the cabin is mandatory by international law. You also stated "all ships" are required to have them, not that Carnival has decided that their ships "will" have them.

Let me weigh in here with a few comments. First off, we are taking it as gospel that the fire was caused by smoking, which is received at least third hand, from someone who was not involved in the incident. Secondly, we are also taking the claim of "severe damage" at face value, when again the report is at best third hand and not from someone involved at the scene.

For the OP who mentioned that the fire must be severe if the fire doors closed, this is not really the case. If a smoke detector goes off in any cabin or location in a vertical fire zone, regardless of which deck, the fire doors at either end of the fire zone will automatically close.

Now, to me anyway, some burned furnishings do not constitute "severe damage" to a cabin, but may to others. I just saw the comment from Heald about it being on a balcony, and SOLAS requires that either the balcony have a sprinkler, or that the furnishings be flame resistant, and that there is a smoke detector. Given a sprinkler in the cabin, I would believe the fire was dampened by this until the fire teams arrived, if it spread to the cabin at all. As to the time frame, it is standard practice to not call a fire "out" until about 30 minutes after it is "extinguished" to allow for checking whether there are still embers or hot spots, and particularly on ships you have to look for the possibility of hidden hot spots above the ceilings and between the cabin walls.

So, a fire happened, it was quickly dealt with, most likely without damage to adjoining cabins, though the passengers there may be inconvenienced by the smell of smoke for the remainder of the cruise. The party involved will likely be disembarked, naturally without any belongings as they were in the fire, but I seriously doubt they would be charged for the damages. The legal fees involved would more than offset the repair costs.

Seriously?

You may want to read your contract you sign each cruise regarding damages and future revenue losses and legal fees.

And for your "may be inconvenienced by the smell of smoke" comment, yes for some it maybe a inconvenience but others that smoke may hospitalize some with serious lung disorders. When will people stop being so petty to think no big deal, so its smoky or fresh paint its good to go right?

What if the passengers was in a disability cabin? It took them over a year to book because of limited cabins that could accommodate them? No big deal right? Too bad so sad, my right to have a smoke on my balcony is my lungs right? Screw anyone with a limited lung capacity or is afraid of a "little fire" if they need help getting out in time?

When will people stop this me, me and me, I am entitled to break the rules how I see fit.

Again I really hope it was not a inconsiderate smoker but the odds are pretty strong that if it started on the balcony it was one.

Seriously?

You may want to read your contract you sign each cruise regarding damages and future revenue losses and legal fees.

And for your "may be inconvenienced by the smell of smoke" comment, yes for some it maybe a inconvenience but others that smoke may hospitalize some with serious lung disorders. When will people stop being so petty to think no big deal, so its smoky or fresh paint its good to go right?

What if the passengers was in a disability cabin? It took them over a year to book because of limited cabins that could accommodate them? No big deal right? Too bad so sad, my right to have a smoke on my balcony is my lungs right? Screw anyone with a limited lung capacity or is afraid of a "little fire" if they need help getting out in time?

When will people stop this me, me and me, I am entitled to break the rules how I see fit.

Again I really hope it was not a inconsiderate smoker but the odds are pretty strong that if it started on the balcony it was one.

Yes, seriously. I am not saying its right to smoke on the balcony, never have said that, and as one who has been on the business end of ship fires, I am one who promotes for more passenger safety. Believe me, I am probably the safest person to cruise with. My comments were that while there was a fire onboard, it was not serious, and was handled in a professional manner and few if any passengers were threatened.

And yes, the contract says that damages are liable to the passenger, but as I've said, the legal costs will exceed the damages, so there will be very little likelihood that they will proceed against someone for a minor fire in one cabin.

There is probably no situation more dangerous at sea than a fire.

Does anyone know if Sunshine has automatic sprinklers on the balconies?

Sunshine used to have water dripping from the ceilings all the time. Might be comforting, in the event of a fire, to see it raining inside the ship. ;)

Which ship are you referring to, where the sprinklers didn't work? Just curious, as I don't recall one.

Back during the investigations of the Splendor fire, there was a design flaw found on the ship that carried to several sister classes of ships. Carnival very quickly took action to get retro-fits in place.

The good news, is it had never failed in practice - but could have.

Smoker probably fell asleep or was drunk. Small ember on a towel should not result in a fire if person is coherent and puts it out immediately.

The people who want health and safety rules to be followed will still be ridiculed by the self entitled smokers I am sure.

Carnival should raise the fine for being caught from 250 to 1000 as a further deterrent. Too many people laugh at a 250 fine

It is true. It is being reported by a current cruiser. They just announced that it is out. Was about a 30 min ordeal. Must have been more than a small one for that long and fire doors shut. He will update when he finds out more.

By this post, it was a minimal event. Thirty minutes is not a long time from start to finish. If it had been more or more serious, they would evacuate the area, not just shut doors and reopen them. It was likely extinguished before fire staff even got there.

Seriously?

chengkp75 knows his stuff. It's not opinion but actual knowledge.

I appreciate his info and learn so much. I never doubt what he posts.

so where is a link to any of these posts?

you're not allowed to promote face book groups here in lieu of CC roll calls and such - granted - but i believe the filters and mods allow links to news (such as from john heald, etc.)...

i'm not saying i doubt it but it hasn't hit the news yet. let's see it.

Geez how lazy do you have to be not to Google it yourself...

In any event here's a link...

https://www.google.com/search?ei=krbBV8KTC8mtebHWvugH&q=ccl+sunshine+fire&oq=ccl+sunshine+fire&gs_l=mobile-gws-serp.3...3520.12908.0.13369.20.17.3.0.0.0.209.2717.0j14j3.17.0....0...1c.1.64.mobile-gws-serp..3.3.466...33i13i21k1j30i10k1.UfEXBduWdpQ

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, seriously. I am not saying its right to smoke on the balcony, never have said that, and as one who has been on the business end of ship fires, I am one who promotes for more passenger safety. Believe me, I am probably the safest person to cruise with. My comments were that while there was a fire onboard, it was not serious, and was handled in a professional manner and few if any passengers were threatened.

And yes, the contract says that damages are liable to the passenger, but as I've said, the legal costs will exceed the damages, so there will be very little likelihood that they will proceed against someone for a minor fire in one cabin.

That's true of most businesses. Just because they can sue and hold a customer accountable doesn't mean they will. Most of the time it's simply not worth the cost and employee time that it would take to do this. I'm sure they know the chances of getting any significant money out of a passenger is pretty slim.

I was in a pretty significant car accident that was not my fault. The insurance company offered a settlement or we could refuse the settlement and sue the driver directly. Realistically we knew the battle with the driver wasn't worth the time, cost and hassle so we took the settlement.

And people should feel saddened by this fact. All fires start as minor. The fact that they violated their contract and started a fire on a ship should be enough to pursue this and a lesson to all on guarding the safety of all passengers.

I'm wondering how they managed to set a towel on fire if that is indeed the source. And I am one with severe lung issues that would be very ill if I had to stay in a cabin that reeked of smoke after a fire. I honestly don't think I could do it. My current lung function is around 30% and no it isn't from smoking.

Glad fire is out and no serious injuries.

6335 was the cabin. It was reported that ashes from deck 10 landed on a towel.

Chair and towel was damaged

This was reported at the diamond party by the captain

This is from the original sorce that is on the ship.

Captain also said they are reviewing film

So I guess the guy in the cabin didn't do anything wrong but left his towel outside

Edited by Bases5

6335 was the cabin. It was reported that ashes from deck 10 landed on a towel.

Chair and towel was damaged

This was reported at the diamond party by the captain

This is from the original sorce that is on the ship.

Captain also said they are reviewing film

So I guess the guy in the cabin didn't do anything wrong but left his towel outside

I don't know, leaving a towel on the balcony is against the rules just like smoking, so I guess there are some who think he (or she) should be thrown off the ship (before the next port). And he may owe Carnival a new ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums