Mitsugirlys FASCINATION with San Juan-review & pictorial

mitsugirly

I just had to actually "finish" out this day before I do the next (and before heading to work).

Off to bed I go...no sooner than I lay down, someone is blowing up my phone.

"MOM, MOM, OMG, MOM!!!" <---texting. It's Kendra.

"What?? I'm trying to get to sleep"

She shows me this...

14017996_10209422202405786_1085997777_n.png

Mom, there's a room available!!! What should I do??? (She had been looking to come on this cruise for about 2 weeks or so before we left and it was completely sold out. She checked every single day while I scolded her for waiting so long (truth is, she applied for the SW card and was waiting for her 50,000 bonus points to hit the card so she can start flying free like us).

I ask her if she was really serious about going and if her finance was ok with it and did she have the "cash" for the actual things we'd do on the island...OMG, the things we do on the island...I had things booked and would need to book her too. Geesh. I thought I was going to bed early tonight.

So a little back and forth and I discover that she put the room on hold. It was asking for her payment, she was trying to figure things out as we text back and forth.

I don't know what she did but somehow she booked, put 2 people in and then only her info came up and not any of my grandsons info (Brayden). I told her to just stop going back and forth with me and call them directly...so she did and got things straightened out.

13989432_10209422540654242_6887814_n.png

...and then there were none (rooms left). She managed to snatch it up just in time. She was now going on the cruise too!

Now she had to figure out air flight at the last minute and I was busy emailing the vendors about bringing her along too. I finally got her booked and payments reserved for her to join us at places on the islands and she was busy with her plane tickets. It looked like she was going to be flying in THE DAY OF THE CRUISE...which is normally a no-no, but since the ship wasn't leaving until 10pm, I had hoped that everything would go ok. But we all know Kendra...late to everything possible. Her flight was coming in around 12:30pm and that's the time we would actually be back at the airport to drop off our rental car before heading to the ship. This should work out.

Ok, I was up for hours listening to her excitement and answering all of her crazy questions about what to do and sending her email after email of reservations she would need to print out. THEN, I finally got to go to bed!

NOW...we are done with this days events. :p :D

All caught up now! Great read as always Kim. That resort and island look awesome (except for the Asian place). :) Leaving on the Sunshine tomorrow, so I'll have to catch up again when we get back.

I'll on the Sunshine from NYC on Oct 1 - maybe I'll catch one of your awesome reviews before I leave? :D

Thanks and have an awesome cruise!! I definitely want to go on the Sunshine...another "to-do" item on my list. (I have too many to-do list at this point, I'll never catch up). I'll be looking for your review. Where are you headed this time?

I'll on the Sunshine from NYC on Oct 1 - maybe I'll catch one of your awesome reviews before I leave? :D

We're heading north on a 7 day cruise to New England and Canada from NYC. I know this one isn't on Sakari's list!! :D Of course we'll be doing a review. :)

Oh I almost forgot...I got a video (the video is not the point, the sound is) of these tree frogs and their extremely LOUD sound. The area inside the part of the hotel we were located in (which formed a square) was loaded with these things. They actually made for a good "white noise" when we went to bed. They put me to sleep. Did I mention how loud they were? LOL

Yeah, they're loud alright! They're called coqui (which is supposed to be the noise they make). They're considered the symbol of Puerto Rico...you probably found them on all sorts of knick knacks and kitschy souvenirs.

Loving your review! I did this itinerary last year on the Valor.....it has been my favorite cruise to date...such a fun itinerary and awesome places. I am thinking about doing another cruise out of SJ. I love it there too! Can't wait to see your cruise review!

Hi, my 10 year old has ear trouble on flights, I read this on another site and it has worked. She wears the ear plugs that looks like screws and we take Afrin with us, and she takes some before descending (her trouble is landing), if it's a long flight, she will take a Claritin before we board. We have used this 4 times now, and it has worked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now I thought that I read to sit on the left side of the plane to see the forts when coming in. But maybe I was wrong. I did not see any forts but was able to catch the beaches and hotels and I'm sure where we would be staying that last day of our "mini-land" vacation was somewhere in that mixture below.

P8110012%20copy-L.jpg

P8110014%20copy-L.jpg

I spotted a ship!!!

P8110015%20copy-L.jpg

P8110017%20copy-L.jpg

She was a biggen (or is it biggin? as said in my hillbilly voice). It had to be either the Allure or Oasis. Do they sail there?

P8110019%20copy-L.jpg

P8110021%20copy-L.jpg

Just getting started on your review... thank you very well done. I love this itinerary we have done it multiple times as seen in my signature. Your comment about not seeing any forts when you flew in.... if you look in the upper left quadrant of your picture right under where you say I spotted a ship!!!. That is El Morro the big fort. your plane just took a wider approach I am sure for runway assigment. Great pics and love your style so far. Will be catching up and subscribing. THanks for taking the time to do the review.

I just had to actually "finish" out this day before I do the next (and before heading to work).

Off to bed I go...no sooner than I lay down, someone is blowing up my phone.

"MOM, MOM, OMG, MOM!!!" <---texting. It's Kendra.

"What?? I'm trying to get to sleep"

She shows me this...

14017996_10209422202405786_1085997777_n.png

Mom, there's a room available!!! What should I do??? (She had been looking to come on this cruise for about 2 weeks or so before we left and it was completely sold out. She checked every single day while I scolded her for waiting so long (truth is, she applied for the SW card and was waiting for her 50,000 bonus points to hit the card so she can start flying free like us).

I ask her if she was really serious about going and if her finance was ok with it and did she have the "cash" for the actual things we'd do on the island...OMG, the things we do on the island...I had things booked and would need to book her too. Geesh. I thought I was going to bed early tonight.

So a little back and forth and I discover that she put the room on hold. It was asking for her payment, she was trying to figure things out as we text back and forth.

I don't know what she did but somehow she booked, put 2 people in and then only her info came up and not any of my grandsons info (Brayden). I told her to just stop going back and forth with me and call them directly...so she did and got things straightened out.

13989432_10209422540654242_6887814_n.png

...and then there were none (rooms left). She managed to snatch it up just in time. She was now going on the cruise too!

Now she had to figure out air flight at the last minute and I was busy emailing the vendors about bringing her along too. I finally got her booked and payments reserved for her to join us at places on the islands and she was busy with her plane tickets. It looked like she was going to be flying in THE DAY OF THE CRUISE...which is normally a no-no, but since the ship wasn't leaving until 10pm, I had hoped that everything would go ok. But we all know Kendra...late to everything possible. Her flight was coming in around 12:30pm and that's the time we would actually be back at the airport to drop off our rental car before heading to the ship. This should work out.

Ok, I was up for hours listening to her excitement and answering all of her crazy questions about what to do and sending her email after email of reservations she would need to print out. THEN, I finally got to go to bed!

NOW...we are done with this days events. :p :D

Life wll never be boring with Kendra around! I love her spirit. :D She was not about to let a sold out cruise stop her from joining you on this sailing. Go, Kendra! Sure hope she made her flight after all that last minute planning. :eek:

Ok all caught up. Lovin the review. I was laughing at your story of the Kayaks and how you did not want to try to do them. I was thinking you saw us on our first time in the Bio Bay... we did kayaks in 2012 (the crazy paddle by paddle story in that review) In 2015 we chose to do the same boat vendor as you. Here is the pics we got of the glow with my DSLR.

IMG_0050.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

Oh I almost forgot...I got a video (the video is not the point, the sound is) of these tree frogs and their extremely LOUD sound. The area inside the part of the hotel we were located in (which formed a square) was loaded with these things. They actually made for a good "white noise" when we went to bed. They put me to sleep. Did I mention how loud they were? LOL

edxBVq9jUu4

That is such a great video and audio of the Coqui frogs. I have that sound as my ringtone on my phone. We went up to the entrance to El Yunque late one evening when staying in Fajardo and recorded the sounds. It brings me back to Puerto Rico everytime my phone rings.

Yay, Kendra and family are joining you! Well, we can only hope that she makes it, anyway!!

Interesting to hear about the Bio Bay bust. That was the one reason that I chose a nighttime stop on PR last summer on our cruise then. We had to book through the cruise line because of the timing, didn't want to take the chance that we would be late getting back. We found out on night one that the excursion was cancelled, never found out why (weather was perfect, I had already checked the moon schedule and it was great). I was so upset because I had been looking forward to it so much. Maybe it was a good thing after reading your review. I would have been upset if I had spent the insane amount of money that the cruise line charged and not experienced what I expected. We would love to do a week in PR and I can't wait it to read what else you do!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I swear, this is like a great book that I just can't put down. :D I LOVE your pics of Palomino Island and I think my mind is made up next time we get to do this itinerary and hopefully a few days in PR pre-cruise. I noticed Dirkgun commented...it was his review of Carnival Victory (January 2010) that had me sold on this itinerary. :) I'm really looking forward to the rest.

We're heading north on a 7 day cruise to New England and Canada from NYC. I know this one isn't on Sakari's list!! :D Of course we'll be doing a review. :)

Yea, that probably wouldn't be on one of Sakari's list of to-do things. But, you never know since I did read something once before (might have been a review) about whale spottings doing that itinerary. :)

Yeah, they're loud alright! They're called coqui (which is supposed to be the noise they make). They're considered the symbol of Puerto Rico...you probably found them on all sorts of knick knacks and kitschy souvenirs.

Yea, I did know what they were called but didn't know that's the noise they are supposed to make. That's cool. :)

Loving your review! I did this itinerary last year on the Valor.....it has been my favorite cruise to date...such a fun itinerary and awesome places. I am thinking about doing another cruise out of SJ. I love it there too! Can't wait to see your cruise review!

Thanks, glad you are liking it. :)

Hi, my 10 year old has ear trouble on flights, I read this on another site and it has worked. She wears the ear plugs that looks like screws and we take Afrin with us, and she takes some before descending (her trouble is landing), if it's a long flight, she will take a Claritin before we board. We have used this 4 times now, and it has worked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea, Sakari has the "screw-like" ear plugs too. Afrin? As in the nose spray? And Claritin? I would have never thought of this before. I just wish she would learn to swallow hard or hold her nose and blow big cheeks or even yawn. Sigh.

Just getting started on your review... thank you very well done. I love this itinerary we have done it multiple times as seen in my signature. Your comment about not seeing any forts when you flew in.... if you look in the upper left quadrant of your picture right under where you say I spotted a ship!!!. That is El Morro the big fort. your plane just took a wider approach I am sure for runway assigment. Great pics and love your style so far. Will be catching up and subscribing. THanks for taking the time to do the review.

Thanks for commenting and glad you are enjoying it. Yea, others have pointed out where the forts were and I did manage to find it after I looked at the pictures closer. I just didn't realize it at the time.

This is getting exciting! Will Kendra make it? Can't wait for more!

Your excitement was my nervousness at the time she announced she was coming. :p

Great review! It already has me looking up prices on similar itineraries and laying the groundwork down for convincing my husband.

Oh definitely yes...look it up and BOOK!

What an awful meal at the Asian place! :(

And whoa, plot twist on Kendra!

Great review as always Kim! Thanks so much for letting us live vicariously though you!

Kendra always = a twist or maybe twisted vacation. :eek: :p

Marking my spot....popcorn is gone, moved on to a daiquiri.....:D

I seriously laughed out loud at this one. :eek::D

Life wll never be boring with Kendra around! I love her spirit. :D She was not about to let a sold out cruise stop her from joining you on this sailing. Go, Kendra! Sure hope she made her flight after all that last minute planning. :eek:

Not even close to boring with her around. She's usually my partner in crime. I still can't believe she pulled this off 2 days prior to boarding.

Love this. It's like reading a novel but having to wait for the next chapter. Yay Kendra! I know her from a previous review (LFK...going in October finally!!!). Such a fun review!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Definitely a novel with me. LOL Woo Hoo on finally going to LFK. I hope you enjoy it.

Ok all caught up. Lovin the review. I was laughing at your story of the Kayaks and how you did not want to try to do them. I was thinking you saw us on our first time in the Bio Bay... we did kayaks in 2012 (the crazy paddle by paddle story in that review) In 2015 we chose to do the same boat vendor as you. Here is the pics we got of the glow with my DSLR.

IMG_0050.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

You seriously suck! (Just kidding). See, that's the experience I wanted...AND you captured it on film. Lucky dog you!

Honestly the best way to describe what we seen is...the glitter globes you get and shake them and the glitter twirls around (like snowglobes). That's pretty much what it reminded me of...but very very light and dense. Like a globe that had been sitting around for years, in the direct sunlight, which had faded. :p

I'm going to try this again some time. I'm going to have to research it. See if the other place is supposed to be brighter. I will correspond my dates with the "best" moon time to go. I will get the experience I'm looking for! DETERMINATION!